03-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #1
css008
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 1m

Performance Seats - Heater Element

Hey Guys,

If any of you have the BMW Performance Seats in your 1M and the heat function works, pls let me know. My local shop is saying it is not possible. (I've also been told that the heat element works on Euro spec vehicles only).

-My 1M has electronic seats w/ heaters. Any input would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 04:48 AM   #2
PaulMcA
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

UK car here and my Performance seats are lovely and toasty when heater turned on to III
When purchasing and fitting the seats, ensure your installer purchased the correct harness and followed the guide to wiring them in and fuses etc.

There is a BMW OEM installation guide on this site somewhere if you search.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by css008 View Post
...My local shop is saying it is not possible. ...
That's BS, they should be telling you that they just do not know or care enough to find out how to. The attached document has enough information to make your own retrofit cable using the wire color, thickness and pin connection information on page 6

BMW perf seat instructions EBA0445489.pdf

Or buy the OEM retrofit cable with part number 61122155580 Do post some pics of the mounted seats (pls do break the internet with pics of any heated @ss)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
I have a BMWP seat. Like mentioned, get the kit from BMW, or ECS sells it too. You just will need to add the wiring harness. Yet another reason why I DIY EVERYTHING on my car. I plan to do it next yr as it's already hot as ballz here in FL. GL
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
Brearley_III
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' E82 S65 1M, 21' F95 X5MC

Garage List
I have custom Status Racing seats being made with an aftermarket universal kit I bought off of Amazon.com being put in them (Dorman 628-040 Universal Seat Heater Kit). If I buy the OEM Retrofit cable do you all think I can successfully make it work with the factory switches? I will be attempting this and will definitely post my success and/or failure efforts to share. Just wanted to hear all your thoughts...
      03-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #6
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonster_III View Post
I have custom Status Racing seats being made with an aftermarket universal kit I bought off of Amazon.com being put in them (Dorman 628-040 Universal Seat Heater Kit). If I buy the OEM Retrofit cable do you all think I can successfully make it work with the factory switches? I will be attempting this and will definitely post my success and/or failure efforts to share. Just wanted to hear all your thoughts...
Interesting attempt. Looking at the wiring info in the manual again, I have to conclude that the referenced retrofit cable loom cannot be the full wiring overview. Most confidently expressed by the fact that the retrofit cable references are always accompanied by the phrasing "cars with electric or partially electric seat only". At least there has to be an additional 2.5mm or wider ground cable (terminal 31) between the seat and the chassis/ground distribution point.

The wiring of the OEM & performance seats (the 0.35m2 wires labelled O_SHFA and O_SHBF) suggest that there are relays build into the seat (control or heating module). No other aftermarket seats will have such a BMW e89 specific module build in. Translating the O_SHFA and O_SHBF PWM signals into proportionally powering an aftermarket heating will be your main challenge. Aftermarket seat heating that I once researched by Webasto had an exterior 2 level switch that had all power going through it towards the heating elements.

In all it appears to be of higher electronics complexity. Nevertheless doable, but if not yourself, do involve someone that understands power electronics quite a bit. My first attempt would be to use an OEM heating module from or equal to the original seats and try to connect that module to the aftermarket heating. The electrical resistance of the heating elements has to be matched though. Good luck.

Then I found this E8x WDS driver seat heating wiring diagram, maybe it is helpful: WDS12 E8x Driver's seat heating.pdf.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #7
Brearley_III
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' E82 S65 1M, 21' F95 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Interesting attempt. Looking at the wiring info in the manual again, I have to conclude that the referenced retrofit cable loom cannot be the full wiring overview. Most confidently expressed by the fact that the retrofit cable references are always accompanied by the phrasing "cars with electric or partially electric seat only". At least there has to be an additional 2.5mm or wider ground cable (terminal 31) between the seat and the chassis/ground distribution point.

The wiring of the OEM & performance seats (the 0.35m2 wires labelled O_SHFA and O_SHBF) suggest that there are relays build into the seat (control or heating module). No other aftermarket seats will have such a BMW e89 specific module build in. Translating the O_SHFA and O_SHBF PWM signals into proportionally powering an aftermarket heating will be your main challenge. Aftermarket seat heating that I once researched by Webasto had an exterior 2 level switch that had all power going through it towards the heating elements.

In all it appears to be of higher electronics complexity. Nevertheless doable, but if not yourself, do involve someone that understands power electronics quite a bit. My first attempt would be to use an OEM heating module from or equal to the original seats and try to connect that module to the aftermarket heating. The electrical resistance of the heating elements has to be matched though. Good luck.

Then I found this E8x WDS driver seat heating wiring diagram, maybe it is helpful: Attachment 1177176.
Thanks for the info, that'll definitely help! I'll let you know how it goes soon... Should have the seats back to me by the end of this month.
      03-22-2015, 02:29 AM   #8
css008
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's BS, they should be telling you that they just do not know or care enough to find out how to. The attached document has enough information to make your own retrofit cable using the wire color, thickness and pin connection information on page 6

Attachment 1176840

Or buy the OEM retrofit cable with part number 61122155580 Do post some pics of the mounted seats (pls do break the internet with pics of any heated @ss)
Ok just to confirm, if my car has electronic seats then I definitely need the retrofit cable right (61122155580). I was told it's only for e92's from a different shop?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #9
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by css008 View Post
Ok just to confirm, if my car has electronic seats then I definitely need the retrofit cable right (61122155580). I was told it's only for e92's from a different shop?

Long story short: Yes, you need that cable; Ao ECS will be able to triple confirm and warrant the cable part number if needed.

Long story: Your NA 1M has at least partly electric seats, due to the choice of BMW NA to offer lumbar support as standard. Depending on options it might be full electric, but that is irrelevant for wiring the performance seats heating.

E8x 1 series up to all E9x 3 series (and probably some other E8x and E9x) are from electronics platform pov indistinguishable. That means coding and wiring for basic and many options is similar if not equal. The different car type designation and option list overview is only stored in 2 different processors (CAS and NFRM)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #10
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
... ECS will be able to triple confirm and warrant the cable part number if needed. ...
Awkward, just tried and ECS online does not show this cable as compatible to the 1M. Hopefully when you call, they have someone on staff that knows more. Due to the performance seats not being officially released nor supported for NA, there may be a lack of parts distributors warranting this part number.

I would order it, that's as much (or little) as I can give you.

Edit: Here's an EU site that specifies what cars need this cable for performance seat retrofit: Overview retrofit wire

Last edited by eeghie; 03-23-2015 at 03:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #11
css008
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awkward, just tried and ECS online does not show this cable as compatible to the 1M. Hopefully when you call, they have someone on staff that knows more. Due to the performance seats not being officially released nor supported for NA, there may be a lack of parts distributors warranting this part number.

I would order it, that's as much (or little) as I can give you.

Edit: Here's an EU site that specifies what cars need this cable for performance seat retrofit: Overview retrofit wire
Thx for all your feedback eeghie! According to the EU site the cable is required, and my current seats are electric so I think it's best to pick it up!
Appreciate 0