BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Séve
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i ZSP

Clicking/Ticking noise right after disengaging clutch...

My 128i is making this faint, yet annoying clicking almost "clankish" noise right after I disengage the clutch and hit the gas. The problem is more noticeable in lower gears but also occurs in the higher ones as well. There are no engine lights or anything coming up. The car has 6k miles on it now and no other problems to date. Anyone have this problem or know what's up?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
1bonna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Séve View Post
My 128i is making this faint, yet annoying clicking almost "clankish" noise right after I disengage the clutch and hit the gas. The problem is more noticeable in lower gears but also occurs in the higher ones as well. There are no engine lights or anything coming up. The car has 6k miles on it now and no other problems to date. Anyone have this problem or know what's up?

Thanks!
I experience this as well, mine is more noticeable whenever I make turns. The only time I hear the noise is when I'm in a parking deck. Are you planning to take your car in? Let me know when you do. I'm planning to take mine soonest.
      05-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
Séve
Private
Rep

Okay, after a drive trying to diagnose the source of the sound, I found that the "clanking" is coming from my clutch pedal itself. It seems much more loose than my brake pedal, meaning that I can move it side to side. I haven't abused it or anything either. Should I take it into my dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comotu1 View Post
I experience this as well, mine is more noticeable whenever I make turns. The only time I hear the noise is when I'm in a parking deck. Are you planning to take your car in? Let me know when you do. I'm planning to take mine soonest.
I don't know if we have the same problem. Mine happens only when I disengage, not on turns. Good luck on it, though!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

[quote=Séve;5109351]Okay, after a drive trying to diagnose the source of the sound, I found that the "clanking" is coming from my clutch pedal itself. It seems much more loose than my brake pedal, meaning that I can move it side to side. I haven't abused it or anything either. Should I take it into my dealer? [quote]

The clutch pedal in my SP equipped 128i has about 1/8" of side to side play and absolutely no noise. Some earlier BMW clutches had squeeks when disengaging (pedal pushed in) which were easily remedied.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
BlackNWhite
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oreo Cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Séve View Post

Thanks!
Sounds like the throw-out bearing... Also know as "Marbles in a coffee can..."
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
Séve
Private
Rep

Thanks, BlackNWhite and Tom K.! "Marbles in a coffee can" explains the sound better than what I could come up with. I'll take it in when I get the chance.
Appreciate 0