BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
MINIz guy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i STX

What class is the 128i competitive?

Like the title states, I am considering an 128i for my next car. I want it to be competitive, at least locally, in autox and was wondering what it would take to get it to that level. I would race in BMWCCA, MSNE and SCCA.

Is it competitive in stock class? I am guessing the staggered setup wouldn't be too beneficial. Also, as with all modern BMWs, will I be limited to front camber adjustments?

Will I have to go to STX or STU? Will I need to get camber plates, coilovers, antiroll bars and the like to be competitive in this class?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
Like the title states, I am considering an 128i for my next car. I want it to be competitive, at least locally, in autox and was wondering what it would take to get it to that level. I would race in BMWCCA, MSNE and SCCA.

Is it competitive in stock class? I am guessing the staggered setup wouldn't be too beneficial. Also, as with all modern BMWs, will I be limited to front camber adjustments?

Will I have to go to STX or STU? Will I need to get camber plates, coilovers, antiroll bars and the like to be competitive in this class?
If you run SCCA you can run D stock with those mods minus the camber plates. I'm not sure how competitive you'd be since that class has some fairly quick cars in it including wrx's and 135/135is, but with the right tires you might be close.

STX/STU are for cars with lots of aftermarket stuff on them and you'd be at an even bigger disadvantage.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Xyloft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

if you're going to be competative in D stock (SCCA), you'll have to get race rubber. just the way it is.

you may want to check the rulebook (again, scca)for those mods. to my knowledge you can only add parts that were offered to the car from the factory that model year. so 135 parts are safe, (i think). but aftermarket parts are definitely not.

the STX / STU classes don't allow race rubber. so if you have mod money and not tire money, that is where you'll land.

everytime I race, I think how much better the 135 brake kit would be. and non-runflat tires.

I stopped running in SCCA though and have only ran in the NASA classes (and that only a time or two a year).

oh yeah...on other thing you'll need to be competative: PRACTICE.