BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Thumbs down DiFeo BMW - Tenafly, NJ

Well originally I had my car ordered here as they were the first place willing to take my money and agree on my pricing, and at first I couldn't be happier. I had a signed sales document and nothing more than trust that I had a car on order. I was so excited, I took my wife over the next day after signing the deal to come look at the car, and they were really nice enough to bring the car from an identical color car from the storage lot to the main dealer area for us to sit in.

Then as I became of affluent on bimmerfest.com and here, and reading accounts of people like me placing orders well in advance of delivery (late August), and either getting production numbers right away or soon after, I was curious as to why I didn't have one.

My CA at DiFeo told that I had a signed sales order and not to worry. Originally the thought was they would keep my order and around May or June place it. My whole thinking behind placing a deposit this early was in order for me to free up some cash selling my 2003 Nissan 350Z. The nearly 5 month wait would be sufficient time to do so. Finally my CA, after several calls in to her told me should would FAX the order in and it would take a few days to receive confirmation, but a production # would not be given, since it was too early.

Now, the same night I had signed this deal, I got an e-mail from Ricki Shamen (one of the bimmerfest sponsors) and a fellow CA at DiFeo, because apparently I had e-mailed her inquiring about the purchase before I met my CA I had an appt with. Her e-mail basically said they were NOT doing ED and all 135i's would be coming from incoming allocation. She advised me that I should talk to the sales manager who completed this deal, provided me his name and speak to him to clarify.

The day after we sat in the car, I decided to call my CA's sales manager to inquire about this e-mail. He told me there should not be a problem and took my phone number and promised to call me back. He never did.

The following Saturday, i decided to go in and speak to my CA in person, with Ricki Shamen's e-mail in hand and asked what was the meaning of it. She told me not to worry and only deal with her and that the order would be honored. I asked her what's NOT to stop them from giving me a deposit back should it be later realized they made a mistake. She assured me this would go against me giving a future recommendation for her (duh) and would give her dealer a bad name, so why would they do that. I left still a little uneasy.

I was OK for a few more weeks but still realizing I was not accepting her word, I decided to call her again. She was out. I then thought maybe I could call BMWNA or Customer Relations as maybe they could explain the ordering process to me or maybe even confirm the order was indeed in the system and she just didnt know she could give out a production number. Neither could find out for me and offered to call the dealer on my behalf. I asked them to do so and they spoke my CA's sales manager. He gave the same reply, "nothing to worry about, I'll research it further, let me take down him number." Again, 24 hours I didn't hear from him.

This week was the last straw. I realized, I'm more stressed out in the ordering process and not getting a great initial feeling with this dealer. After speaking with Adrian's BMW on here and him explaining how my order was being handled and there was NO real allocation attached to it, I decided to call my brother's BMW dealer he dealt with when he bought his 545i. He told me in the past his CA was a stand up guy and was very customer oriented. If anything, his CA would give me the info I needed straight up without trying to sell me, a REAL CLIENT ADVISOR.

He told me he had a May allocation ready to go out and a prod# to give me if I wanted to place the order. He also told me a little about ED and where my temp tags would NOT be honored. Right off the bat, I had a good feeling about this. He needed me to fax/scan my DL, SS# and passport over to him to submit the order. This is already a few steps above the Difeo CA.

Later that day, I just called to confirm if he needed me to come in to sign a sales order and he said no, it'll take a few days to get the order updated in the system but he now has a production # for me. He said he may need me to come in next week when he receives verification from BMW that the order was accepted and all my options were updated, then he could charge my CC :eyebulge:

At this point, I knew this was it and e-mailed my last CA and cancelled my order. Her reply was amusing, "I'd be happy to cancel your order, good luck!"

In the end, I should have listened to many on the BMW boards about what was a good dealer and which were not. It was my impatience that I didn't wait for my now new CA to be back from vacation and to put money down at DiFeo in haste.
      04-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Glad to see you got things worked out.

Boo teafly Nj BMW!
      04-09-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Your CA and sales manager at Difeo said you had the deal.

Looks to me like you didn't want to take the word of Difeo and went somewhere else.

I don't think Difeo did anything wrong except not calling you back as promised. (who hasn't had this happen to them with car dealers.)

Your happy...which is good.

No big deal for Difeo...they will sell the car to someone else.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
My order was in the order bank, which means they didn't have allocation to give at the time.

Basically they'll just hold my money until they feel like giving me an allocation slot and who's to say that they wouldn't give my allocation slot to someone naive enough to pay MSRP? Technically, the sales manager could just say, yeah, lets string him along and then maybe flip him into a 128i if we can't get him a car in June, because we made so much profit selling people cars at MSRP.

I'm an IT Director, so I deal with salespeople on a daily basis. If you don't give me signs of a good sales relationship or don't cater to my whims, or even surprise me, then I refuse to do business with you.

If you're not communicative or return my calls within a business day, I will not want to do business with you.

If you can't answer my questions or you show signs of negligence before I put my time and money into your organization, I don't want to do business with you.
      04-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Year1of1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post
Your CA and sales manager at Difeo said you had the deal.

Looks to me like you didn't want to take the word of Difeo and went somewhere else.

I don't think Difeo did anything wrong except not calling you back as promised. (who hasn't had this happen to them with car dealers.)

Your happy...which is good.

No big deal for Difeo...they will sell the car to someone else.
ur missing the point, he ordered and was never given a production number, which basically means, they never placed the order... read other forums and u'll see this happen to many people who ordered a while ago and never received their cars

do u work for difeo?

btw Difeo is by far one of the worst autogroups
2015 X1 - retired
2020 X5 M50i - On Order
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Buck a lot of your comments are not needed in threads. So be quiet unless you know franks entire back story. Go troll somewhere else
      04-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #7
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year1of1 View Post
ur missing the point, he ordered and was never given a production number, which basically means, they never placed the order... read other forums and u'll see this happen to many people who ordered a while ago and never received their cars

do u work for difeo?

btw Difeo is by far one of the worst autogroups
No I don't...and I understand his point perfectly.

His delivery date is late august...they dealer told him not to worry...he worried because others told him he should have a production number...

he bailed...but that doesn't mean the dealer would not have provided his car in august....it means he decided not to trust his dealer and decided to listen to others ...thats his choice...but to me Difeo did nothing wrong here except not call him back...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #8
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzodesh View Post
Buck a lot of your comments are not needed in threads. So be quiet unless you know franks entire back story. Go troll somewhere else

trolling?...because I believe there is more than one side to every story?

...I'm stating that I don't think the dealer did anything wrong here from what frank wrote...and I don't know the dealers side of this...do you?

I've purchased from Difeo and Circle and Freehold in NJ so far. Difeo was no better or worse than any of the others. But I was treated with respect and courtesy.

Izzo..whats your experience with them?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 08:16 AM   #9
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungE30 View Post
My order was in the order bank, which means they didn't have allocation to give at the time.

Basically they'll just hold my money until they feel like giving me an allocation slot and who's to say that they wouldn't give my allocation slot to someone naive enough to pay MSRP? Technically, the sales manager could just say, yeah, lets string him along and then maybe flip him into a 128i if we can't get him a car in June, because we made so much profit selling people cars at MSRP.

I'm an IT Director, so I deal with salespeople on a daily basis. If you don't give me signs of a good sales relationship or don't cater to my whims, or even surprise me, then I refuse to do business with you.

If you're not communicative or return my calls within a business day, I will not want to do business with you.

If you can't answer my questions or you show signs of negligence before I put my time and money into your organization, I don't want to do business with you.
yes...i agree that the lack of returning call is wrong...and you should walk away if you feel slighted...

but the rest on your beef is speculation...they could give your allocation away...or they might give it away..

you choose to walk because you did not trust them...again I say I don't think they did anything wrong in this part....
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have to agree with Buckwheat on this one. While they didn't do anything WRONG they could have certainly done a lot more RIGHT though.

However, I understand how one can get uncomfortable when we're talking this much money. When it comes down to it, if the customer isn't happy, that's all that matters.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
I have to agree with Buckwheat on this one. While they didn't do anything WRONG they could have certainly done a lot more RIGHT though.

However, I understand how one can get uncomfortable when we're talking this much money. When it comes down to it, if the customer isn't happy, that's all that matters.

thank you for summing it up better than me.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #12
Matt60158
///M
Rep
Drives:

Great info. Just to clarify... when you place an order for ED do you have to have your passport in hand and ready? Something to consider before walking into the dealer to order considering it takes some time to get a passport.
      04-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
My CA said it was required for the order. I guess its part of the ID process that only I will be able to take delivery of that car on the ED date.
      04-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #14
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Yes you must have your passport in order to place the order. Only if you're doing ED though, they use your passport to verify it's actually you picking up the car.

This is a problem for me though, as my passport photo shows me with almost shoulder length (hippie) hair. I now look NOTHING like my passport LOL

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #15
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

I remember purchasing a Nissan at DiFeo. High pressure showroom floor... if you can get a good deal on a car located on premises, you might get lucky on pricing though.