BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
cloudgif
Rep
Drives:

DEALER MARKUP $1,000 BMW OF SAN FRANCISCO

I hope this is not becoming a pricing/gouging Trend for BMW dealers. Dealers adopting this practice should be boycotted. We should absolutely not put up with having to "negotiate" for the privilege of paying MSRP. No stickers on the cars other than those shown in photos so I don't know how these cars are equipped. Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge about the provenance of these cars based on the VIN decoder info for them? Note the production dates for both and the RHD for the 128. See VIN decoder info below the photos.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Chassis number VE88551
Vehicle code UC71
Series E82
Model 135i
Body type coupe
Catalog model ECE
Production date 2006 / 11
Engine N54
Transmission Unknown
Steering Left
Catalyzer YES
--------------------------------
Chassis number VF24164
Vehicle code UR32
Series E82
Model 120d
Body type coupe
Catalog model ECE
Production date 2006 / 12
Engine N47
Transmission Unknown
Steering Right
Catalyzer YES
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
alexp1_tx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Find another dealer and Flame them.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

With dealers all over selling the cars at MSRP (or below) I'd just go somewhere else. The dealer is trying to take advatage of an uninformed consumer. About that only thing you can do personally is just not give them your business.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
cloudgif
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
With dealers all over selling the cars at MSRP (or below) I'd just go somewhere else. The dealer is trying to take advatage of an uninformed consumer. About that only thing you can do personally is just not give them your business.
Agreed that the biz should be given to other dealers.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

shot them an email with the deals being discussed here...

this won't last long
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
cloudgif
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post
shot them an email with the deals being discussed here...

this won't last long
Please let us know if they respond. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
kbimmer135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i (3/24/08-3/17/11)

this car should not have a mark up on it. go else where like Peter Pan or East Bay. Even tho Peter Pan doesn't have good service, just buy the car and never look back!

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

BMW of SF are known for overcharging, bad sales rep. and worse service. I would never go there.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #9
Kayne
Rep
Drives:

Steering right?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 12:32 AM   #10
baduncadonk
Former 2002tii Owner
Rep
Drives:

Hi,

I live in San Francisco and have actually bought from BMW of SF before: I purchased a new 2006 BMW K1200S motorcycle there. My friend (2007 M5) and I both had shitty experiences with BMW of SF. Do yourself a favor and buy anywhere else in Northern California. To get a true sense of how badly this dealership is perceived in San Francisco, do a search for it on Yelp.com: BMW of SF is despised by many of its former customers.

So. . . when I decided to order a 135i in March, I drove up to Marin and bought from Sonnen BMW in San Rafael. I had a good buying experience and have since had a WONDERFUL waiting experience because of Sonnen BMW's Kelly Kimberley. Kelly is a guy(!) who genuinely loves the product and is always happy to talk to customers who are waiting for their new toy to arrive. I talk to Kelly at least once a week and he has done a fantastic job of keeping me abreast of every update in the build & shipping process. Unbelievably, Kelly took a two-month wait that could have left me clueless and miserable and instead made it an information-rich and surprisingly engaging experience.

And, most importantly, Sonnen did not gouge on price.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 01:34 AM   #11
cloudgif
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayne View Post
Steering right?
Yup. That's what the BMW VIN decoder says http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi
Very curious. Note the 2006 production dates too.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 01:37 AM   #12
cloudgif
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baduncadonk View Post
Hi,

I live in San Francisco and have actually bought from BMW of SF before: I purchased a new 2006 BMW K1200S motorcycle there. My friend (2007 M5) and I both had shitty experiences with BMW of SF. Do yourself a favor and buy anywhere else in Northern California. To get a true sense of how badly this dealership is perceived in San Francisco, do a search for it on Yelp.com: BMW of SF is despised by many of its former customers.

So. . . when I decided to order a 135i in March, I drove up to Marin and bought from Sonnen BMW in San Rafael. I had a good buying experience and have since had a WONDERFUL waiting experience because of Sonnen BMW's Kelly Kimberley. Kelly is a guy(!) who genuinely loves the product and is always happy to talk to customers who are waiting for their new toy to arrive. I talk to Kelly at least once a week and he has done a fantastic job of keeping me abreast of every update in the build & shipping process. Unbelievably, Kelly took a two-month wait that could have left me clueless and miserable and instead made it an information-rich and surprisingly engaging experience.

And, most importantly, Sonnen did not gouge on price.
Hi, bak@u badun. That is certainly what the SF BMW dealers' rep has been over the years. Glad you found a good dealer. Good luck with your newOne.
c
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 01:51 AM   #13
lamini
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

BRING YOUR BUSINESS TO SOCAL.....Fly and drive.
cheaper than 1k.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #14
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

Yeah the markup is just so you think your getting a deal at msrp. I'm buying from SF BMW and heres the trick in my opinion. Some people might see me as being an A**hole but I just see it as getting them to compete and give the same deal as other dealerships. I hope noone from the dealership is reading this, they'll probably spit on my car when it gets here haha! So this is it, simple: put a deposit and order the car and get your production number THEN tell them another dealership (concord or mountain view) you were at in the past contacted you and said they'd give $500 off msrp. And this IS true, I did call other dealerships and almost completely switched to get the deal. tell them you want that deal or you will cancel your order with them and go to the other dealership. All the work has been done to select the options and order the car, they don't want to lose your business. It's really a game with these salesmen and he didn't crack until I told him I wanted to cancel my order. Everyone else is getting atleast $500 off msrp around the bay area, I wasn't about to pay more than everyone else. Of course, all this haggling is only if you live in the city and want that convinience. If I had to do it again I'd probably just call another dealership and make sure I could get 500 off msrp before i go there and thats probably the easiest way. concord or mountain-view will hook you up. Did I mention I got free rubber floor mats too?:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #15
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

I wonder what the dealer by me wants for the 4 they have, all the window stickers were taken off. HMMM.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #16
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

you guys should raise hell citing the following code:

Monroney Window Stickers
• 15 U.S.C. §§ 1231-1233
Under the federal “Monroney Act," every manufacturer of new cars is required to attach to the windshield or side window of the automobile a sticker prior to its delivery to the dealer known as the “Monroney" sticker.[22] This sticker must contain, among other things, the vehicle's make and model, the final assembly point, its destination, the manufacturer's suggested retail price for the vehicle, and the manufacturer's suggested retail price for each accessory or item of optional equipment.

Willful failure to attach or willful removal of the required label on a new automobile is prohibited by 15 U.S.C. §1233, and subjects the offender to fines and/or imprisonment. Complaints regarding this law should be sent to the following address:

Office of Consumer Litigation
United States Department of Justice
P.O. Box 386
Washington, D.C. 20044

The Act prohibits the sticker from being removed or altered prior to sale to a consumer. Criminal prosecution is possible under 15 U.S.C. § 1233, for the willful removal of a label and is punishable as a Class A misdemeanor permitting a fine ($100,000 per violation for an individual and $200,000 per violation for an organization under 18 U.S.C. § 3571) as well as imprisonment for not more than one year, or both.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #17
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

^ hardcore!

These SF guys sound harsh. I am guessing they are RIGHT in the city. Sounds like BMW of Manhattan, but even in NYC they charge MSRP
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #18
cloudgif
Rep
Drives:

Various

lamini: a socal purchase is not such a bad idea what with the prospect of a nice, "polite" drive back up 101 to hwy One for lots of twisties and reasonable revs for break-in.

gypsee: congratulations on an effective "defense" tactic but who needs the "grief" of going to the trouble of outgaming the gamers. Would you entrust your One to BMW/SF for servicing?

confusion: I hate to defend these guys but I think the cars were on their lot for only a day. The day before I took the pix I saw an empty transporter parked in the middle
of the street in front of the "store" and I saw the same cars with the $1k markup sticker and total price depicted above and the Monroney Stickers on top of the dashboard.
They were gone on day #2 when I returned with my camera. Don't know if they were stashed away or were being prepared with magic BMW stickup....er stickum to place
on the cars. Their cars other than the Ones had proper stickers and no markup. I would speculate that they want to (legally or otherwise) obfuscate the equipment the car
comes with. BTW the 135i did have the 18" wheels its supposed to come with on it (see pics below) but there is no way of knowing if they are charging extra for it because
of the Monroney violation. (They have stated in the past that the BMW website is "wrong" and that you have to pay extra for the 18'-ers. That was seconded, probably
through confusion or error by a more reputable dealer.)

Scotty Is your avatar a pic of you keeping abreast of your car's undercarriage condition? Your guess is right. They are "right in the city." SF is small geographically
(7 x 7 miles) and the City is the County. Harsh...I don't know if that is the word. Arrogant. Entitled. Their goal seems to be to make the customer feel as though they are
doing him a favor by permitting him to buy a vehicle from them. People wander around the lot and the store being ignored. It is nice to not be pounced upon. Not nice to
be unable to get anyone's attention if you want it. They cater to the $ is no object masochistic crowd IMHO. When I was there taking the pix the only person who approached
me was a bewildered looking woman who walked up to me and asked, "Do you work here" when I said no, she asked rhetorically, "How do you get someone who does to
talk to you?"

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #19
baduncadonk
Former 2002tii Owner
Rep
Drives:

BMW of SF and NorCal 1-owners shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgif View Post
Hi, bak@u badun. That is certainly what the SF BMW dealers' rep has been over the years. Glad you found a good dealer. Good luck with your newOne.
c
Thanks @cloudgif!

Hey, NorCal lurkers: Is there any interest here in a NorCal 1-series meet-up? My 135i arrives at the dealer on 4/29. I would love to hook up with some other 1 owners--particularly to share knowledge as we start to mod our vehicles.

I have ordered the BMW Performance wheels from Leith and am waiting for more info on intakes and exhausts. Doing Dinan maps after the next upgrade (hopefully early-May?). Also, having Valentine and laser jammer conceal-installed for drive across the U.S. in June.

I am breaking in my 135i by May 25th, then tossing a suitcase in the trunk and driving solo from San Francisco to New York City, on to Philly, Baltimore, Charlottesville (VA), and Burlington (NC), and then driving back to San Francisco in middle June.

Duncan
      04-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #20
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baduncadonk View Post

I have ordered the BMW Performance wheels from Leith and am waiting for more info on intakes and exhausts.
Same as the tii wheels right?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #21
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
lamini:
gypsee: congratulations on an effective "defense" tactic but who needs the "grief" of going to the trouble of outgaming the gamers. Would you entrust your One to BMW/SF for servicing?
Yeah I just really found out that the bmw sf service department stinks, i should have done a yelp search first. My cars already being built so i'm not backing out now. Can you take you bimmer to another dealer for service? If not I guess i'll have to keep my fingers crossed they don't screw something up.
:bs: Good choice for you to give your business to a more professional dealership
Quote:
lamini: Not nice to
be unable to get anyone's attention if you want it. They cater to the $ is no object masochistic crowd IMHO
couldn't say it better myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 09:32 PM   #22
cloudgif
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscogypsee View Post
Yeah I just really found out that the bmw sf service department stinks, i should have done a yelp search first. My cars already being built so i'm not backing out now. Can you take you bimmer to another dealer for service? If not I guess i'll have to keep my fingers crossed they don't screw something up.
:bs: Good choice for you to give your business to a more professional dealership

couldn't say it better myself.
AFAIK you can take your BMW to any dealer for warranty service. With some dealers you may get priority for a loaner if you bought the car there.
Appreciate 0