BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
bluejaypanther
Nerd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i Coupe 6MT

Thumbs down Princeton BMW

I needed my winter tires swapped out so I asked over the phone if that was covered with the 4 year maintenance plan. They said it would be free to do and scheduled my for an appointment.

When I arrived at the dealership, not only did they decide to charge me (claiming that the person who scheduled appointments was wrong about the policy), but they wanted to be paid a ridiculous $260 for a 20 minute job that requires no parts and minimal labor.

In conclusion, they are criminals.
      03-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

And.... Did you pay THAT???

IF you did pay them, you should contact the BBB (Better Business Bureau). But you really ought to call the service manager or better yet the General Manager of the dealership - FIRST!

Legally they can not charge you more than their shops minimum check out fee (usually its a 1/2 of thoer hourly rate) without FIRST giving you an estimate. So IF they charge $100 per hour, they should charge you $50. When they give you an estimate for repairs, they can not go over 10% of the original estimate they told you.

You might do a quick Google of your states laws on this too.

So... did they really charge you $260 for ONLY mounting your summer tires? Or did they perhaps do some "other" COD repair with this? ???

Good Luck,
David
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
bluejaypanther
Nerd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
And.... Did you pay THAT???

IF you did pay them, you should contact the BBB (Better Business Bureau). But you really ought to call the service manager or better yet the General Manager of the dealership - FIRST!

Legally they can not charge you more than their shops minimum check out fee (usually its a 1/2 of thoer hourly rate) without FIRST giving you an estimate. So IF they charge $100 per hour, they should charge you $50. When they give you an estimate for repairs, they can not go over 10% of the original estimate they told you.

You might do a quick Google of your states laws on this too.

So... did they really charge you $260 for ONLY mounting your summer tires? Or did they perhaps do some "other" COD repair with this? ???

Good Luck,
David
Hell no. The quote was before the job. I never let them touch my car. When they told me how much it cost, I told them it was exorbitant, and there was no way I'd just open my wallet up to them like that without a good reason. The SA gave me this smug smile and told me I was paying for a high quality job since they were going to "mount, rotate and balance" the tires. As if that isn't what every tire shop in the country does anyways. PS, you can't rotate staggered, directional tires (but I guess that shows how much he knew about the car to begin with).

I got the hell out of there, drove down the street, and got it done for $80. The SA lost all interest in me when he realized I wasn't an idiot willing to pay a 250% markup for absolutely nothing. I guess they stay in business by sucking dry people with more money than sense, or at least those who have no idea what it should actually cost to maintain a car.

The BF Goodrich tire shop swapped the tires and the car rides beautifully.
      03-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

OOooooo... so you only have ONE set of wheels/rims and two sets of tires! Now I understand.

Yes, $80 is more reasonable. But to be honest those RunFlats are hell to mount on & off the rims. You need to be one strong hulk. Its bc there is no sidewall flex. $260 is just way too much though!

take care,
David
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Princeton BMW is an absolute disappointment in all areas - CPO sales, new sales and especially service. I've had experience with all three, and you would have thought I'd learn a lesson after the first time.

Excellent sales experience with Princeton MINI, however.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

QUOTE..Excellent sales experience with Princeton MINI, however.

Kyle FTW....
      09-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

I bought from Jeremy (who is now the sales manager last I checked) back in '05. Great guy. Brought a friend to him last year for a sale, and he sent me a check for $100 for the referral. Totally unexpected.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

countless bad experiences at princeton bmw, ranging from damage during service (they tried to avoid fixing) to forgetting to submit an order for a car i purchased, then submitting it incorrectly when they finally did submit the order over 2 months late. drive up to flemington bmw instead. princeton bmw is without a doubt the worst bmw dealer i have ever dealt with, and i make sure to tell everyone i encounter to avoid them at all costs. i'll keep the ranting to a minimum, but if anyone is interested in any of the hilarity i've seen there, just ask.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
Dragonkiller11
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejaypanther View Post
I needed my winter tires swapped out so I asked over the phone if that was covered with the 4 year maintenance plan. They said it would be free to do and scheduled my for an appointment.

When I arrived at the dealership, not only did they decide to charge me (claiming that the person who scheduled appointments was wrong about the policy), but they wanted to be paid a ridiculous $260 for a 20 minute job that requires no parts and minimal labor.

In conclusion, they are criminals.
$260 should be pocket change for you... if you can afford a BMW, then $260 is nothing. that being said, you must be a poor person PRETENDING to be rich by leasing or finacing an expensive car...

too expensive?? then go buy a used Kia.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonkiller11 View Post
$260 should be pocket change for you... if you can afford a BMW, then $260 is nothing. that being said, you must be a poor person PRETENDING to be rich by leasing or finacing an expensive car...

Pfffffffttt....
      10-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonkiller11 View Post

Oh, jeez. Another one. Where do these people come from?