BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
1BimmerNut
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i then 130i now F20-125

Spooky handling - solved

Since buying the car have always thought the car felt un-coordinated in some situations especially from the rear - with tramlining thrown in it could be eye opening at times.

Here is a tip if you have the same situation

After gutter rashing a wheel decided to get a 4 wheel alignment - well what a difference! The guys said it was only slightly out - more in the front than the rear but it feels so much better now - huge difference and have not had that feeling of the front doing something different to the back since. The guys said they are very sensitive to alignment and wheel balance.
If you have the same - then before doing the rear bushes get an alignment
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BimmerNut View Post
Since buying the car have always thought the car felt un-coordinated in some situations especially from the rear - with tramlining thrown in it could be eye opening at times.

Here is a tip if you have the same situation

After gutter rashing a wheel decided to get a 4 wheel alignment - well what a difference! The guys said it was only slightly out - more in the front than the rear but it feels so much better now - huge difference and have not had that feeling of the front doing something different to the back since. The guys said they are very sensitive to alignment and wheel balance.
If you have the same - then before doing the rear bushes get an alignment
Glad you got your issue sorted, but unless this is the only reason you are considering suspension upgrades then theres not much point having an alignment done first. You are only going to have to fork out to have it done again immediately afterward
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
Glad you got your issue sorted, but unless this is the only reason you are considering suspension upgrades then theres not much point having an alignment done first. You are only going to have to fork out to have it done again immediately afterward
haha i read his comment like you portrayed it also at first, but what he means is rather then upgrading suspension components perhaps try an alignment beforehand as a poor alignment could be causing poor handling/driveability
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
1BimmerNut
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i then 130i now F20-125

You got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
haha i read his comment like you portrayed it also at first, but what he means is rather then upgrading suspension components perhaps try an alignment beforehand as a poor alignment could be causing poor handling/driveability
Yes that's what I was saying - Start with an alignment first as I am no longer thinking I will do the bushes
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BimmerNut View Post
Yes that's what I was saying - Start with an alignment first as I am no longer thinking I will do the bushes
Hmm doesn't the rear still squirm around under WOT???

I upgraded to 265 rear sticky tyres (Goodyear F1's) and I'm not happy with how it feels as the rear and the front suspension bushes are way too soft (I have noticed severe feathering of the outer tread blocks on the front tyres as the front suspension cannot maintain the correct geometry under sever loads- I need to get my M3 sussy gear installed!)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Hmm doesn't the rear still squirm around under WOT???

I upgraded to 265 rear sticky tyres (Goodyear F1's) and I'm not happy with how it feels as the rear and the front suspension bushes are way too soft (I have noticed severe feathering of the outer tread blocks on the front tyres as the front suspension cannot maintain the correct geometry under sever loads- I need to get my M3 sussy gear installed!)

Rear M3/1M bushings make a huge difference in how our cars drive. I was amazed on how those four rear bushings impacted the front suspension.

Dackel's replacement of rear suspension OE bushings with M3 ones…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638163

There is also a rear suspension link thats pretty flimsy. I think my next step is to get all the M3 suspension bits.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Rear M3/1M bushings make a huge difference in how our cars drive. I was amazed on how those four rear bushings impacted the front suspension.

Dackel's replacement of rear suspension OE bushings with M3 ones…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638163

There is also a rear suspension link thats pretty flimsy. I think my next step is to get all the M3 suspension bits.
That's a good review Dack, and also reinforces what i feel also. Considering the bmw's are suppose to be the ultimate driving machine I was a tad underwhelmed with the handling of my 335i compared to my previous car (Lexus IS300 with a heap of suspension mods) but im hoping the m3 parts will transform my car

Regarding some other links you have in your rear subframe review thread about upgraded manual transmission mounts what advantage do these offer?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

Regarding some other links you have in your rear subframe review thread about upgraded manual transmission mounts what advantage do these offer?
They offer crisper shifting. The trans/engine will move around less and so too will the shift linkage. Especially when under load like when cornering or braking/acell. Btw... I never have done that mod(e46M3 trans cradle mounts. Its just something I have been meaning to do. Perhaps at my next oil service.

Dack
Appreciate 0