BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
Gambeez
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport

Question about BMW Pedal Tuner/Sprint Booster idle RPMs

If anyone has this mod installed, is it normal for the different mappings to adjust your idle RPMs? When I set mine to race my 128i goes from idling at 600 RPM to close to 1K. This doesn’t seem right. I know it is supposed to allow the throttle valve to open quicker but I wouldn’t expect it to alter the RPMs at idle.

Can anyone else chime in on this? I’m wondering if mine is defective or if something else is going on. I’ve tried searching online about both products and haven’t seen anyone else comment on this so I’m thinking it’s not normal.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambeez View Post
If anyone has this mod installed, is it normal for the different mappings to adjust your idle RPMs? When I set mine to race my 128i goes from idling at 600 RPM to close to 1K. This doesn’t seem right. I know it is supposed to allow the throttle valve to open quicker but I wouldn’t expect it to alter the RPMs at idle.

Can anyone else chime in on this? I’m wondering if mine is defective or if something else is going on. I’ve tried searching online about both products and haven’t seen anyone else comment on this so I’m thinking it’s not normal.

Thanks!
These pedal tuners just adjust the sensitivity of the pedal by electric signal. So it could we'll be adjusting the idle pedal position signal. Which would affect idle speed and be totally undesirable all around.

Advice? Uninstall and sell for fund contribution towards mods that actually make the car faster such as IM, valves, headers, intake, tune...
      03-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
Gambeez
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
These pedal tuners just adjust the sensitivity of the pedal by electric signal. So it could we'll be adjusting the idle pedal position signal. Which would affect idle speed and be totally undesirable all around.

Advice? Uninstall and sell for fund contribution towards mods that actually make the car faster such as IM, valves, headers, intake, tune...
You know what I’m an idiot. I failed to look well enough at the documentation and missed the spot that says “calibration”.

Did that and things are fine now. I was just excited to try it out.

And I hear you on actual mods. But this thing does add a bit a fun to the car whether it’s placebo or not. Really launches you back. Makes the standard throttle mapping seem so... dull?

Before I do any actual modifications I’m trying to tackle regular maintenance still on my car. Have water pump and radiator to do for preventative as well as valve cover and gasket. Might try to do milvs while I’m in there. Beyond that I’ll be looking to do an intake and headers down the road coupled with a time. By then I’ll either sell the BMS box or keep it but from what I understand most tunes beyond remapping also can remap the throttle so it’s pointless to keep at that point.

But for now it adds fun to the ride while I tackle pesky maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Don't touch the rad. WP/Tstat hold off unless you have to or they have 80k+ miles. Brand New units can fail spontaneously too.

Are gaskets leaking? Don't fix it if it ain't broke.