BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

Scary accident near DC today

Just on the local news... A BMW was involved in an accident with a on SUV on I66. The SUV rolled on the highway the driver died. The BMW driver walked away from the accident, but may have caused it. Drive safely out there! But know that we have one of the safest cars on the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
mrleisure
Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan Turbo

Video here:

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/14...County-Parkway
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Huh?
The guy who died wasn't wearing a seat belt. It says nothing about how safe BMWs are. It does suggest that this BMW driver was driving like an ass and caused someone else to get killed so I'm not sure what you're crowing about.
      05-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I'm with ptack

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
What I got from it was the guy in the BMW was driving like every other person in this area and the guy in the SUV wasn't so bright... not wear a seat belt in this area is a horrible idea especially on major roads with tons of traffic
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Not wearing a seat belt is stupid in any area. It's free, it saves lives, just fucking wear it. This dude could have walked away from that accident had he been wearing it. The other dude is probably going to be facing vehicular manslaughter charges instead of what would have been reckless driving.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
azndunkaddict3d
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenington86 View Post
What I got from it was the guy in the BMW was driving like every other person in this area and the guy in the SUV wasn't so bright... not wear a seat belt in this area is a horrible idea especially on major roads with tons of traffic
The BMW driver hit the guardrail first and then swerve back to the lane and hit the SUV. You called it driving like every other person?

Last edited by azndunkaddict3d; 05-03-2011 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

Think I understand what the OP was trying to say by posting this. And I think they really meant well. But probably not the best example of how good BMW's are.
Suggest a moderator lock or delete the thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

This is one of the reasons I try to be extra courteous to other drivers in the DC area. This way they may remember that not every BMW driver is an immature idiot.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azndunkaddict3d View Post
The BMW driver hit the guardrail first and then swerve back to the lane and hit the SUV. You called it driving like every other person?
Notice the word area in my post... Yes just like every other person here causing major accident everyday on major roadways doing dumb things trying to race and weave in traffic. "Let me see how fast I can go before I have to slam on my breaks before I hit that guy in front of me." If I went on a rant every time I saw someone do something retarded in heavy traffic here I would have been dead from hypertension 2 months after moving here.

Oh Tom K. I hope an AW 128i (w/ohio plates) hasn't made you angry

Last edited by jbenington86; 05-03-2011 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually, I find by keeping to the back roads in both the DC & Balto metro areas I encounter fewer really dumb drivers as they seem to go only on main highways as instructed by their GPS.

The only BMW driver who pissed me off recently was a girl in another 128i 'vert who rolled her windows up when I waved to her on the DC Beltway. As my wife was in the passenger seat, how could she misinterpret that?

But I'll keep an eye out for you.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Hard to know exactly how the BMW driver was driving. Lots of people take unnecessary risks annoying other drivers. Hitting the guardrail could have been a sign he was really out of control but it could also be something another driver contributed to or even a mechanical issue.

But maybe this is an indication fast drivers should drive BMWs if they want to have a chance to survive? And everybody needs to wear seatbelts, regardless of how big their vehicle is and how safely they think they drive?

Jim
      05-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
Aries932
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT

I would say most people even police tend to exaggerate anytime a person is "weaving". You could be passing some moron who wants to sit in the fast lane driving 60 at 80 and get back to the fast lane and most old people and police would call it "weaving"...

However with that said the simple fact that this guy completely lost control and hit a guard rail just shows how much of an idiot this guy was. To do this he must have really been driving out of control. 65 - 80 is pretty slow when you are driving with traffic on the highway and it is very very simple to drive defensively as well as maintain control of the car. What you will most likely find is this guy was going anywhere between 100 - 120 mph through traffic.

I feel so bad for the family of that guy in the SUV...just goes to show how spontanous life can be.
      05-04-2011, 02:31 AM   #14
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

Quote:
Notice the word area in my post... Yes just like every other person here causing major accident everyday on major roadways doing dumb things trying to race and weave in traffic. "Let me see how fast I can go before I have to slam on my breaks before I hit that guy in front of me." If I went on a rant every time I saw someone do something retarded in heavy traffic here I would have been dead from hypertension 2 months after moving here.

I understand where your coming from OP. I grew up in Bowie MD and till this day I, HATE, HATE, HATE, to have to drive there. The driving is like no other, closest I've seen is outside Paris....cripes, I've seen people on the beltway go from the far lane weave through traffic to exit while doing 80mph at rush hours! Passing on the right takes ona new meaning because every friggin retard drives slow in the left lane....and don't even mention road rage! Oh and talegating is a sport there.

oh, and for the record, I don't agree with any driving in traffic thats endangers others. Along with that if you don't wear a seatbelt, besides being a moron, and you die in a traffic accident thats just natures way of weeding out the stupid people.

Last edited by FDM68; 05-04-2011 at 02:34 AM.. Reason: additional comment
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #15
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Not wearing a seat belt is stupid in any area. It's free, it saves lives, just fucking wear it. This dude could have walked away from that accident had he been wearing it. The other dude is probably going to be facing vehicular manslaughter charges instead of what would have been reckless driving.
I agree but whats up with the language?

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #16
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
I agree but whats up with the language?
I get really mad when I see people not wearing their seat belts. One of my college roommates lost his father in a car accident that he could probably have walked away from. It's really your primary means of survival in an accident and I just don't understand the logic behind knowingly avoiding it.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #17
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

My point was that in spite of the BMW drivers mistakes, he survived, whereas the person in the SUV (that SO many people in the DC area tought as being safe, hence SO many people drive the frigging things) died. SUVs are no safer than tractor trailers, or buses.

It was sad that the BMW driver caused the accident, but had he been in a less sturdy car, he may have met the same fate.

I agree, drivers in the DC area are certainly some of the worst in the country, and definitely bring out the worst in the rest of us, no matter how patient, or forgiving we try to be. It's why I personally dont commute in a car, perfering the metro or walking when possible. This morning was a great example, unbelieveable traffic on the GW Parkway... I was on a bus...

Lastly, agree on the seatbelts. Sometimes, they can be a pain (literally, especially if you happen to have a healing shoulder) but they save lives, and should always be worn!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #18
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
The driver of the SUV died because he was not wearing his seat belt and was partially ejected from the car. The same thing that would have happened in a rolling BMW. You can hit an SUV with a LeCar in the right area and cause it to roll over. The only lessons to be learned here are not to weave through traffic like an asshole and to always wear your seat belt.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #19
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinAlexandria View Post
I agree, drivers in the DC area are certainly some of the worst in the country, and definitely bring out the worst in the rest of us, no matter how patient, or forgiving we try to be. It's why I personally dont commute in a car, perfering the metro or walking when possible. This morning was a great example, unbelieveable traffic on the GW Parkway... I was on a bus...
While I certainly agree, in fairness we need to point out all of the out of town tourists (and politicians/lobbyists sent here from their respective jurisdictions) who have no idea how to cope with DC area roads. Unfortunately, the indifferent road signs and ever present beltway construction doesn't help either.

Things were better when DC was still a sleepy southern town with an area population of only one million or so.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #20
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Quote:
You can hit an SUV with a LeCar in the right area and cause it to roll over.
If i'm going to get run off the road by some hyper A-type DC driving maniac, i DO NOT want to be in an SUV.

It's amazing, in fatal accidents involving SUV roll overs, you rarely get a discussion on how an SUV's tendency to roll over is a contributing factor to the fatality.
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...than-minivans/
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #21
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I think its hilarious how everyone seems to be arguing this much about this. Its obvious the cause is still UNKNOWN..so stop giving ideas about how the drivers were "idiotic or retarded"...The guy in the bimmer could have been experiencing 1 of a 1000 things to make him do what he did. Could have been him driving recklessly, could have been he spilled coffee in his lap, could have been he was swerving out of the way of something on the road.

End result was the guy in the SUV apparently wasnt HIT by the bimmer so much as he saw the bimmer swerving into him, then the SUV driver turned sharply and being a huge SUV boat while swerving and braking hard, the thing flipped over several times. And of course the guy wasnt wearing his belt so sure he went thru the windshield or something..If anyone should be called anyone an idiot, it should be the guy in the SUV.

I NEVER drive without one on, i mean it is SO easy and simple to wear, I dont see how anyone cant tbh. Christ, especially on the highway in one of the most dangerous areas of the country...

I would save any other bitching and arguing over this bit until some actual news about the cause of it all comes to light, eh?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #22
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
I get really mad when I see people not wearing their seat belts. One of my college roommates lost his father in a car accident that he could probably have walked away from. It's really your primary means of survival in an accident and I just don't understand the logic behind knowingly avoiding it.

True..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0