BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Oofie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 FR-S

Koni Yellow questions

I read that the Koni Yellow shocks are adjustable. Does this mean that if paired with H&R Sport, can they ride as soft as the stock setting, or just a bit harsher? Also, are they easy to adjust, for example just the morning before a track day/autocross?

Last edited by Oofie; 04-28-2011 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Even on the softest setting, they're still firmer than stock but not uncomfortable.

The front is easily adjustable with the provided adjustment knob. The rears need to be compressed first and then adjusted.

Honestly, the best thing you can do to reduce the "harshness" is to ditch the runflats, if you haven't already done so.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Oofie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
Even on the softest setting, they're still firmer than stock but not uncomfortable.

The front is easily adjustable with the provided adjustment knob. The rears need to be compressed first and then adjusted.

Honestly, the best thing you can do to reduce the "harshness" is to ditch the runflats, if you haven't already done so.
Thanks! I'm not really concerned about the harshness now (still have RFTs) but if I were to go with springs/shocks for autocross, I would want it (sometimes) to be a soft ride because it also is a DD.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
I have Koni/H&R's and love them. I have f/r set on medium. Feels great to me. It's not as harsh with these + Dunlop star spec as it was with stock + RFT's

Just know that the car is raked with the H&R's. Eibach is an even drop.
Here's mine:

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Oofie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
I have Koni/H&R's and love them. I have f/r set on medium. Feels great to me. It's not as harsh with these + Dunlop star spec as it was with stock + RFT's

Just know that the car is raked with the H&R's. Eibach is an even drop.
Here's mine:
Thanks! So it rides smoother with the Dunlop SS compared to stock+ rfts? So the car in the pic is just HR sport + Koni yellow? Drop looks good, love the rake.

By the way, are your wheels 19"?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oofie View Post
Thanks! So it rides smoother with the Dunlop SS compared to stock+ rfts? So the car in the pic is just HR sport + Koni yellow? Drop looks good, love the rake.

By the way, are your wheels 19"?
Breyton GTS-R 18"

I have Koni Yellows and H&R Sports too, and with street tires they are prob equal to stock stiffness, but less jarring on irregularities. The fronts are not that easy to adjust, with the strut brace in the way.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Breyton GTS-R 18"

I have Koni Yellows and H&R Sports too, and with street tires they are prob equal to stock stiffness, but less jarring on irregularities. The fronts are not that easy to adjust, with the strut brace in the way.
+1 Well said. Just curious, do you have 2 knobs? I have a short one that fits under the brace and can turn like that. While it's not cake, it's not impossible.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Competition

Quote:
The rears need to be compressed first and then adjusted
To clarify, I believe the rear shocks must be completely removed to be compressed for rebound adjustment, correct? I race with Oofie monthly, so he should be aware of what's involved in constantly adjusting the rebound before and after each autocross. For those that set the rear rebound and leave it, it's obviously not a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

@HondaGoneRogue - Roll cage and the dual exhaust look amazing man. Your 1'er is one of the best looking ones I've seen yet.
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 06:01 AM   #10
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisthetes View Post
To clarify, I believe the rear shocks must be completely removed to be compressed for rebound adjustment, correct? I race with Oofie monthly, so he should be aware of what's involved in constantly adjusting the rebound before and after each autocross. For those that set the rear rebound and leave it, it's obviously not a big deal.
Yes, you are correct that they need to be off of the car before they can be adjusted. I would approach it as a "set it and forget it" type of deal.

I do remember reading somewhere that the Dinan rear shocks are a bit different than the standard Yellows and can be adjusted easier. It might be worth giving them a call and see what they have to say. If true, I would have gone with theirs over the standard yellows in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #11
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
@HondaGoneRogue - Roll cage and the dual exhaust look amazing man. Your 1'er is one of the best looking ones I've seen yet.
Thank you sir!

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #12
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, you are correct that they need to be off of the car before they can be adjusted. I would approach it as a "set it and forget it" type of deal.

I do remember reading somewhere that the Dinan rear shocks are a bit different than the standard Yellows and can be adjusted easier. It might be worth giving them a call and see what they have to say. If true, I would have gone with theirs over the standard yellows in the first place.
I would say removing the trunk liner is the hardest part of getting to the rear shocks. Other than that, it's really easy to remove and adjust them. Obviously, it's not feasible to do at the track but at home it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Quote:
I would say removing the trunk liner is the hardest part of getting to the rear shocks. Other than that, it's really easy to remove and adjust them. Obviously, it's not feasible to do at the track but at home it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
It's not a technically difficult process by any means, but I certainly wouldn't feel like doing it every weekend. Just personal preference as to what is acceptable and what isn't.

Getting the trunk liner back in was the worst freaking part for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisthetes View Post
Yes, the standard adjust rear Koni Yellows need to be completely removed and compressed to perform damping adjustments, although it can be done with it in the car as well - Just loosen the bottom mount, compress and adjust.

External or top adjust 135 rear dampers are coming and should be available soon.

Quote:
+1 Well said. Just curious, do you have 2 knobs? I have a short one that fits under the brace and can turn like that. While it's not cake, it's not impossible.
HondaGoneRogue, Nice looking car! Let's see more photos!

To aid front strut adjustment, one can remove the oem brace comletely, add the M3 strut tower brace or the Mason brace.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #15
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
External or top adjust 135 rear dampers are coming and should be available soon.

HondaGoneRogue, Nice looking car! Let's see more photos!

To aid front strut adjustment, one can remove the oem brace comletely, add the M3 strut tower brace or the Mason brace.
Sweet! Thanks! I wish I had more pics to show. I had wheel problems halfway through the event so this was really the only pic I have in it's current state. I hope to do a photoshoot soon though. My baby deserves some whoring lol. I hope to pick up some bushings and control arms from you sometime this season!

Here's my only other pic:

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I cannot adjust with the shortie adjust knob. I just use a torx socket and 14mm socket to loosen the strut braces. It takes 5 mins, tops, but it's not as simple as just free access to the adjustment pin, unobstructed.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #17
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I cannot adjust with the shortie adjust knob. I just use a torx socket and 14mm socket to loosen the strut braces. It takes 5 mins, tops, but it's not as simple as just free access to the adjustment pin, unobstructed.
What about using needle nose pliers?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #18
Derk1127
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
That sounds awesome, is there an ETA on this?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #19
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
What about using needle nose pliers?

I'd say go for it, but I've personally seen the adjustment nub broken off on them three different times, with a pair of needle nose pliers. The cost to revalve them is about the cost of replacing them.

Personally, I'd rather just loosen the one bolt, and take the other two off.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #20
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derk1127 View Post
That sounds awesome, is there an ETA on this?
There is no ETA from Koni at this time. However, once I have ETA info, I will be posting it here and on E90post.com

Harold
Appreciate 0