E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Ipod 6FL Random/Shuffle

06-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
rc51
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90

Ipod 6FL Random/Shuffle

First, I searched the forum and I read the entire "official 6FL thread". I did not see an answer to this question.

Here's the setup: 07 E90, with 6FL and no I-Drive. 40G Ipod (latest generation)

I just got the correct 6FL cable yesterday.

I have my Ipod set up with no playlists, just one big library, about 8,000 songs. I like to just shuffle through the whole library - its like my own personal radio station.

So, I hooked up the Ipod to the Car, and just selected IPOD from the audio sources. the Ipod started playing. I selected RND on the radio dial, and it started playing randomly. Fine.

Next, I wanted to hear a specific song (which I can do with the 6FL and I could not do with the USB cable.) So I scroll thru the artists, album, etc. I get to the song and punch the right hand button. The song plays. RND is still checked. The next song on that album plays. Then the next one. It plays the whole album. Then it starts back at the beginning of the album again. How do I get back to random shuffle of the whole library? I tried going to Artist, selecting All and punching the right hand button. Nothing.

What should I do? Does it need a playlist to select? Do I need to create a playlist with all my songs in it? Then it will randomly play the songs in that playlist?

Thanks in advance for your help.
      06-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
Radioactive Man
Up and atom!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Montego E92 328i

There's actually two ways you can do this.

1) The easiest way would be to create a playlist with every song on it. Make it one of those dynamic playlists that will update itself everytime you add new songs to the library.

2) You can either select Artist or Genre and then keep choosing "All" on each submenu until you reach the individual song selections. Pick a song, then return back and select random.
      06-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
rc51
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive Man View Post
There's actually two ways you can do this.

1) The easiest way would be to create a playlist with every song on it. Make it one of those dynamic playlists that will update itself everytime you add new songs to the library.
I wound up doing this. It works great.

Quote:
2) You can either select Artist or Genre and then keep choosing "All" on each submenu until you reach the individual song selections. Pick a song, then return back and select random.
this did not work for me.

thanks Radioactive man. BTW I am in Lawrenceville, NJ.
      06-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51 View Post

Just LMAO at "thanks Radioactive man".

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
Radioactive Man
Up and atom!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Montego E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51 View Post
this did not work for me.

The 2nd method didn't work? That's actually the way I've been doing it until I can finally remember to take my iPod out when I get home. You have to have either all your mp3's labeled with artist and/or genre.

When you select Artist/Genre, click All, then scroll down one click to the next "All", then another one click to the next "All", and one more time and you should be able to select a song. Just a little trick to know in case you ever use someone else's iPod that doesn't have the "mother playlist."

Nice, I work in Cherry Hill, but you're still a ways north of me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Just LMAO at "thanks Radioactive man".
"Up and atom!"
      06-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
rc51
Private
Rep

Quote:
The 2nd method didn't work? That's actually the way I've been doing it until I can finally remember to take my iPod out when I get home. You have to have either all your mp3's labeled with artist and/or genre.

When you select Artist/Genre, click All, then scroll down one click to the next "All", then another one click to the next "All", and one more time and you should be able to select a song. Just a little trick to know in case you ever use someone else's iPod that doesn't have the "mother playlist."
once I got down the song level from any of the menus - genre, artist, whatever, it would only play songs from that album, and then loop around and start to play from the beginning of the album again.

and no, I do not have "shuffle - album" selected on the ipod, i have "shuffle - songs" selected.

but the master playlist works great.
      07-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Elsa - 2015 F80 M3 - YMB/SS

Garage List
Ok, so I am having a bit of a different issue...

I have the 6FL with iDrive. And when I select random, it works fine nomatter what Im playing. But when I shut the car off and get back in. i have to hit random again.

This just started happening a day ago. Since I got the car 3 weeks ago, I have had it on random and not had to touch it again.

Now I have to reselect rendom every time I get in the car... Grrrrrrrr....

Anyone know whats going on?

Definitive
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
Stinger44
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

USB

I'm just using a USB connected to the port but I don't see the option for "random" play. However I don't have my songs on a playlist. If I add my songs to a playlist using let's say MS media player, will the random option show up on iDrive? I really want the shuffle feature. Currently it only plays my songs in alphabetical order. Maybe I missed something.
      04-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
tommyv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definitive View Post
Ok, so I am having a bit of a different issue...

I have the 6FL with iDrive. And when I select random, it works fine nomatter what Im playing. But when I shut the car off and get back in. i have to hit random again.

This just started happening a day ago. Since I got the car 3 weeks ago, I have had it on random and not had to touch it again.

Now I have to reselect rendom every time I get in the car... Grrrrrrrr....

Anyone know whats going on?

Definitive
The exact opposite situation happens on mine. No matter what I do, when I turn the car back on Random is checked. And I don't know about yours, but on mine the random setting plays the same "random" mix of songs every time I start the car up.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #10
kennethpetro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i JB/Black Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger44 View Post
I'm just using a USB connected to the port but I don't see the option for "random" play. However I don't have my songs on a playlist. If I add my songs to a playlist using let's say MS media player, will the random option show up on iDrive? I really want the shuffle feature. Currently it only plays my songs in alphabetical order. Maybe I missed something.
I have the EXACT same issue. I'm going to see if there is that RANDOM button on the dash and see if that works.
2011 Jet Black 328i, 6-Speed Manual, Black Dakota Leather, Brushed Aluminum, Harmon Kardon w/ Surround Sound, Navi, BMW Apps, iPod & USB Adapter, BMW Assist w/ Bluetooth, Full LED Interior, 6000k HID Fogs, Matte Black Kidney Grills, M3 Lip Spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, 19" Beyern Black Mesh *19x8.5 front(ET40)* *19x9.5 rear(ET30)*
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 02:51 AM   #11
Winston1961
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 335i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethpetro View Post
I have the EXACT same issue. I'm going to see if there is that RANDOM button on the dash and see if that works.
You only have to hit de I-drive button when a song is playing (from a playlist or from a directory). You will seen a menu with among others de random choice.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 08:40 AM   #12
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
^ +1

This works for me.
Appreciate 0