BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

PDC Driving Experience

I am considering taking delivery at the PDC in South Carolina. I am an experienced autocrosser and am curious what the "quality" of seat time at the PDC is like. Will I get an opportunity to really push the car to its limits on the road course, and is there adequate seat time to leave me satisfied? I am concerned because in the pictures I have seen, no one is wearing helmets, which suggests to me that it might be a little more tame than I would like (not that I've ever needed a helmet on the autocross course! )

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

Don't expect it to be a day at the track. You'll do a few ABS braking exercises, get the chance to spin it a couple of times on the wet skidpad, and maybe 10 minutes or so on their little "track". It is a short loop that isn't unlike an autocross, but it has some elevation change that makes it interesting. You'll also take an X5 on the offroad course, take a few hot laps in a M5 as a passenger, and tour the assembly plant.

I thought it was a worthwhile experience, especially considering it was only a couple of hours from home for me. I get my track fix elsewhere, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
Don't expect it to be a day at the track. You'll do a few ABS braking exercises, get the chance to spin it a couple of times on the wet skidpad, and maybe 10 minutes or so on their little "track". It is a short loop that isn't unlike an autocross, but it has some elevation change that makes it interesting. You'll also take an X5 on the offroad course, take a few hot laps in a M5 as a passenger, and tour the assembly plant.

I thought it was a worthwhile experience, especially considering it was only a couple of hours from home for me. I get my track fix elsewhere, though.
Great! Thanks for the very helpful answer, m3bs. I was also trying to decide whether it'd be better to take my dad, who I always go to autocrosses with, or my girlfriend, who has only seen one autocross and has never even considered participating. Sounds like it'd be a more worthwhile trip to bring her... maybe get her interested in the sport!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

I managed to get my wife to go out. She enjoyed spinning out on the skidpad....after it was over!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Just FYI, it's PCD. PDC is Park Distance Control.

I would suggest bringing the girlfriend. I brought mine and she loved it. It's all really simple stuff so it's not intimidating to them. There's no pressure to do well, you're just out there to enjoy the cars.

Have a great time and take lots of pictures, you'll want them after you get home.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
Just FYI, it's PCD. PDC is Park Distance Control.

I would suggest bringing the girlfriend. I brought mine and she loved it. It's all really simple stuff so it's not intimidating to them. There's no pressure to do well, you're just out there to enjoy the cars.

Have a great time and take lots of pictures, you'll want them after you get home.
Cool, thanks for the input. I told her about it, and she's excited... mostly about the SUV off road stuff. This is shaping up to be a great little trip. Already found $49 one-way plane tickets to Spartanburg!

I thought it was called Performance Driving Center? Ahh, Performance Center Delivery.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

you can take PCD at the PDC then......

its like ABS, DTC, ASC+T......damn BMW acronyms!!!!