BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

DSSR

Just before I commit to the UUC Evo3 SSK for the 135, I'm wondering if anyone who has one also has the DSSR and if you feel it was necessary/important. Seems like it should not be needed for a nice tight, positive shift system. But since I have not opened her up yet too look at the OEM setup and the quality/tolerances of what it's connected to, I'm not sure.

I had the DSSR on my E46 and the UUC worked flawlessly for 6 years of track and DD. But the DSSR was free on a promo at the time I bought the SSK. Now that I'd have to actually pay - I just want verification that it is needed....

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Don't buy it - it doesn't fit the 135i without rubbing on the shifter carrier. There is a thread on this - do a search.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Don't buy it - it doesn't fit the 135i without rubbing on the shifter carrier. There is a thread on this - do a search.

Jack
Did the search. There seems to be those that had issues and those that didn't. There seems to be those that had the SSK and the DSSR work well and those that hated it. I look at it like this - either it fits or it doesn't. There is no 'it works for him but not them'. Also either it improves performance or it hurts performance. I believe a lot of folks who install a SSK are expecting something very different from what they get out of it. In fact some of the issues I've seen complained about are the attributes I'm looking for.

So, having said that, I still don't know whether, given the physical design our the 135's linkage, there is a benefit to the DSSR or not.

Overall I would find it hard to believe that the folks (UUC) that designed and built the SSK I've used on and off the track in several BMW models suddenly don't know what they are doing. So I have to admit I am dismissing the anti-UUC sentiment as I consider the SSK/DSSR for the 135i.

I hope they (UUC) don't make fools out of me.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
Did the search. There seems to be those that had issues and those that didn't. There seems to be those that had the SSK and the DSSR work well and those that hated it. I look at it like this - either it fits or it doesn't. There is no 'it works for him but not them'. Also either it improves performance or it hurts performance. I believe a lot of folks who install a SSK are expecting something very different from what they get out of it. In fact some of the issues I've seen complained about are the attributes I'm looking for.

So, having said that, I still don't know whether, given the physical design our the 135's linkage, there is a benefit to the DSSR or not.

Overall I would find it hard to believe that the folks (UUC) that designed and built the SSK I've used on and off the track in several BMW models suddenly don't know what they are doing. So I have to admit I am dismissing the anti-UUC sentiment as I consider the SSK/DSSR for the 135i.

I hope they (UUC) don't make fools out of me.
The fact is that the folks at UUC have not actually tried it on the 135i and Rob Levinson of UUC effectively admitted this to me.

The situation is that the OEM BMW part that the DSSR replaces is exactly the same on the 335i and 135i. UUC tested it on the 335i and it works fine and they therefore released it for sale on the 135i as well. Unfortunately for them the shifter carrier is slightly different on the 135i as opposed to the 335i and thus the DSSR rubs on the 135i.

Birds in the UK have done all the work on my car (which is very heavily modified). They are very well respected indeed in the BMW tuning world and they had to machine the DSSR and the shifter carrier to make it fit. It did not appear to make much difference afterwards anyway.

Overall, though I am happy with my UUC SSK - I would just prefer it if they were honest about the issues with the DSSR.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

I have the UUC SSK with the DSSR. I had them installed at the same time, so I can't really comment on whether or not the DSSR is really worth it.

As for my overall impressions in general, it's a huge improvement and I'm very happy. As for the rubbing issue, my car HAD what I perceived as some rubbing going into first gear only. I have no idea if this was caused by rubbing on the carrier or not. BUT, it had the same exact issue with the stock components. First gear would just be really tough to get into sometimes. And, it would have the weird "notch" at the halfway point in the movement to first gear. This really pissed me off at first, of course, but the really good news is that it has gone away almost fully. It did occur after the UUC install, but now seems to be gone almost entirely (fingers crossed) now that the UUC is broken in a bit I suppose. (BTW, I have the CDV mod too ...HIGHLY recommended!)
Appreciate 0