BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
Upturn666
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M

Help please, re exhaust

I know this has all been covered before but i just wondered if some of you with experience could give me some advice. I am wanting to change the exhaust on my 1M with two main aims, 1 to reduce the drone as much as possible and two, to give a more sports sound when pushing on a bit. I have looked at Miltek but have read mixed reports re quality so i was considering Eisenmann end section or Evolve/supersprint. The Eisemann is half the price of the Evolve though, but is it a good quality unit or is it worth paying double for the Evolve. Any other more reasonably priced units i should be considering. Cannot afford the very expensive Akro systems.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Have look at the exhaust sticky: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618555
      03-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

IF its drone you want to rid your car of... some members say by putting some deadening on the inside (trunk floor) near the rear seat where the MULF bluetooth box is... that quiets the drone. But I would only do that IF your car does not have BT.

Also... the resonator on the 1M mids is a fake. So by installing the N55 mids, you will get rid of the drone(bc it has a real resonator) and you will also make the exhaust louder bc it has not secondary cats. Win-Win!!

Read thru that above "sticky".
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Sorry but where did you get a half price quote for Eisenmann rear mufler vs. Evolve, or vice versa? They were pretty evenly matched pricewise before. So check that first.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Sorry but where did you get a half price quote for Eisenmann rear mufler vs. Evolve, or vice versa? They were pretty evenly matched pricewise before. So check that first.
Wasn't there some cheap Chinese made knock off Eisenmann exhausts being sold on Ebay in the past.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Wasn't there some cheap Chinese made knock off Eisenmann exhausts being sold on Ebay in the past.
Can be, don't know about them. I was refering to German origin units sold by well known vendors. That was more expensive than Evolve rears, not much but still. I always considered those two similar, mid-price options.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

IMHO:
N55 is perfect for those who want to eliminate drone but want to have more noise when under load. I often describe the Akra system as a "controlled" drone. It is the perfect exhaust note for the N54, but indeed is a very specific and controlled note/drone. To have a turbo'd/ force induction vehicle loud W/O a drone is near impossible IMO. If you want it loud, you need to accept drone and be more open to drone. Especially, I have noticed with any turbo charged BMW,(driven a few new loaners recently) there is a turbo hum/ drone in the low RPMs regardless. That is my 2c based on my experience not what I have read etc. A "you can not have your cake and it it too" sort of thing...
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Upturn666
Enlisted Member
Rep

Many thanks All, for your input. It sounds as tho' I need to start with the N55 mid pipes
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Chris ABP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i F31

We're UK based Milltek dealers and we have now sold 5+ Milltek full systems for the 1M.

I have the full Milltek primary cat back non-resonated system on mine and it sounds wonderful . There are various configurations available (most of which we have in stock) all offering slightly different benefits / noise levels.

If you are ever in the Cheshire area and want to listen or have a trip out in mine please just give me a shout on 01270 567177 to check that me and the car will be here.

With regard to Milltek quality we have been a dealer for around eight years now selling well over 500+ systems and we've only ever seen 3 warranty claims which were all dealt with by supplying brand new replacement parts so excellent customer service and original purchaser lifetime warranty.

Cheers, Chris
      03-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VO1MC

My experience indicates the N55 mid pipe doesn't eradicate the drone, it reduces it (and moves it higher up the rev range)
It definitely allows the turbos to spool quicker too. It's a cheap win/win mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upturn666 View Post
It sounds as tho' I need to start with the N55 mid pipes
N55 midpipe is a good start.

See:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=27 (N55 midpipe)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797160 (N55 midpipe DIY installation process)
      03-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Van Driver View Post
My experience indicates the N55 mid pipe doesn't eradicate the drone, it reduces it (and moves it higher up the rev range)
It definitely allows the turbos to spool quicker too. It's a cheap win/win mod.
I never had what you described, drone moving up in the rev range impression. Of course, it may be so because I had N55 mids installed at the same time with Evolve rear. In the begining there was less drone with new set up and after a few thousand kms. I have none now. Every car can be a bit different too.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 03-27-2013 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0