BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Point-By Passing Fundamentals PSA

Hey all, I wanted to post the below video for all track goers as a reminder of proper passing fundamentals, particularly if your club uses point-by passing.

Here's the critical message: If you want to facilitate a pass, STAY ON THE RACING LINE and let the faster cars go around. A point out the window to the side you want the overtaking cars to go by on is an added courtesy. The impulse is to want to get out of people's way, but this is what can happen when you do.

If the 350Z had simply stayed on the racing line, the faster cars could have gone around on the right and there'd be no crash to clean up. Additionally, when you leave the racing line to allow a pass, you effectively slow your own lap times even further, which causes you to hold up more traffic, and on and on.

This was the first time our club ever had car to car contact in our non-race group, and it revealed a few cracks in the key messages our club delivers in the morning driver's meeting. So don't be like this guy, and hopefully you won't cause any unnecessary wrecks like this one!
      12-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

More fundamentally:

1) the passing rules need to be clarified in the driver's meeting. Not all groups follow the "car being passed stays on the racing line", but they should.

2) there should be a separate signal for each car being allowed to pass (the Miata did not get a signal, but the car ahead did). This confirms that the car being passed sees each and every passing car.

3) drivers that signal a pass incorrectly (not in a declared passing zone, wrong side) should not be passed. Marshals should pick that up and black flag the driver who doesn't know the passing rules so the rules can be clarified.

4) if you don't have a fully marshalled track, a driver noticing another driver not following the passing rules should pull off and advise the starter (who should black flag the offender).

Of course there are other good sense rules too, like:

- car being passed must back off the throttle
- all passes must be completed by the turn in point
- don't rush to get back on the racing line when completing a pass. If there isn't room to do it smoothly, adapt to an inside line. You have right of way once you are ahead and can drive any line you like.

I am not sure what your club rules are, but to my eye, both drivers are to blame.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Club rules are everything you just stated and are published on the website and re-iterated in the driver's meeting.

The only piece of information you are missing is that this was a mixed passing group. Typically our B group (which the Z is one of) is point-by only, period, but this event was our A group (unlimited passing) and B together. The mixed rules were unlimited passing for any car without an X on the back (the Z has an X). X cars require point-bys to go around except on straights where passing is unlimited. T8b to T10 at Sonoma is considered a passing zone.

So in this case, the Miata did nothing wrong, especially considering the Z was trying to get way out of the way to allow the whole train to pass. The Z's mistake was leaving the racing line and driving in his mirrors, which caused him to drop two wheels into the mud (it had been raining for three days prior to this event). If he stays on the racing line and points everyone by on the right, no accident, no problems. Anyone that couldn't get by before T10 could have passed between 10 and 11.
      12-03-2014, 01:27 AM   #4
///Machiavelli
Big Mac
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY16 F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rsxpilot View Post
Club rules are everything you just stated and are published on the website and re-iterated in the driver's meeting.

The only piece of information you are missing is that this was a mixed passing group. Typically our B group (which the Z is one of) is point-by only, period, but this event was our A group (unlimited passing) and B together. The mixed rules were unlimited passing for any car without an X on the back (the Z has an X). X cars require point-bys to go around except on straights where passing is unlimited. T8b to T10 at Sonoma is considered a passing zone.

So in this case, the Miata did nothing wrong, especially considering the Z was trying to get way out of the way to allow the whole train to pass. The Z's mistake was leaving the racing line and driving in his mirrors, which caused him to drop two wheels into the mud (it had been raining for three days prior to this event). If he stays on the racing line and points everyone by on the right, no accident, no problems. Anyone that couldn't get by before T10 could have passed between 10 and 11.
Thats just confusing. If the Z was an "X" car then shouldn't the Miata have waited for his own point-by? Unless that passing zone was considered a straight (doesn't look like one) where unlimited passing applied? The Z did the point-by wrong but taking a bad point-by is also an infraction in my opinion.

Having 2 sets of passing rules was bound to lead to some issues. What if you didnt notice the X or it had come off accidentally? You could end up with a situation where you think you're good to pass and the other guy isn't expecting it because he didn't point.

In my experience when some drivers, who are used to enjoying the freedom of open passing, are saddled with passing rules, they can become frustrated with slower cars and get aggressive. Driving in his mirrors and getting off the line tells me the Z was probably feeling pressure which lead to him thinking the courteous thing to do was get out of the way and let the stack of A drivers go through. That would be a mistake on his part and potentially lead to this incident. Not trying to place any blame or make excuses, just speculating.

Myself, when I was first promoted to A group I was very self conscious about "holding up" the faster A Solo drivers to the point where my driving took a marked nosedive as soon as someone was on my butt. It took me several sessions to get over. Maybe the Z wasnt ready to be swimming with the sharks just yet.

fe1rx: I'm curious, what track clubs do you run with?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
fe1rx
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli9988 View Post
fe1rx: I'm curious, what track clubs do you run with?
Competitively, several full seasons of Solo 1 and (its rebranding as) SoloSprint in the RX-7. Only one event in its current incarnation as TimeAttack in the 135i. Tracks driven include Mosport GP and DDT, all Shannonville variants, TMP, Calabogie, Dunville (RIP) and Saint Eustache.

Lapping with ILR (the only one that I know that takes the car being passed off line), OMSC, PMSC, Apex, Gruppe Werks, Trackmasters (when they still came to Mosport) and a few private groups.

I agree with your analysis. The Z spun because he was driving in his mirrors and feeling pressured. The mixed group contributed to that pressure.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli9988 View Post
Thats just confusing. If the Z was an "X" car then shouldn't the Miata have waited for his own point-by? Unless that passing zone was considered a straight (doesn't look like one) where unlimited passing applied?
You bolded everything but this part: "T8b to T10 at Sonoma is considered a passing zone."

It's true though, Sonoma Raceway only has one real textbook straight (T6 to T7). The others are all either short (T10 to T11), or kinked (main straight and this section from 8b to 10). Nevertheless, they are treated as straights because they are wide and fast, which is ideal for passing.

As for the X rule, it actually works really well, but I agree that ideally you don't mix run groups. It's a financial decision. Our club runs three run groups at this annual November Sonoma event, and typically rents one of the groups out to Trackmasters to keep costs down since we don't usually have enough attendance to fill all three groups ourselves (weather and holidays in November).

And again, this is the first time in 20 years they've had car to car contact of any kind in these non-race groups, so you'll have a hard time convincing anyone in the club that there's something seriously flawed with the way they run events, not that isn't always room to improve. In this case, it's been clearly identified that the driver of the Z was not feeling very confident, was not situationally aware, and probably should not have been driving in a mixed run group without additional instruction, which our club offers for free. Nevertheless, the point is despite all these other factors, simply staying on the racing line and pointing people by on the outside would have avoided the accident entirely.
      12-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
fe1rx
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rsxpilot View Post
Nevertheless, the point is despite all these other factors, simply staying on the racing line and pointing people by on the outside would have avoided the accident entirely.
Equally true that "simply staying off the racing line and pointing people by would have avoided the accident entirely." And yet, it didn't. The improbable event was the car spinning while being passed. The only way to avoid that risk was to recognize that the driver being passed was out of his depth and making it up on the fly.

Point-by passing is a cooperative transaction. Car ahead offers, car behind either accepts, or if conditions aren't right for him, rejects the offer. The same applies to each passing car, which is why each one needs their own point-by.

The only way it can be done safely is if there are established procedures and signals. Otherwise, you can never be quite sure what the other driver intends. As soon as someone starts making it up on the fly, you have lost control of the process.

Yes, I have on occasion passed cars on the wrong side when offered, and yes I have on occasion passed cars in non-passing zones when offered, because sometimes that does seem like the safer action in the circumstances, but this is a violation of the rules of engagement, for which I should be prepared to justify my actions to the organizers.

The real lesson should be when you see a driver acting contrary to the rules of engagement, pull them in and have a discussion as a minimum. If the problem is experience or skill, put an instructor in with them whether they ask or not. If your event doesn't have enough marshals to enforce the rules, it is up to the more experienced drivers to do so by reporting problems to the starter.

The Spec Miata driver made two errors: he accepted a passing opportunity on the wrong side, and he made the pass without getting a signal. Neither of these things caused the spin, which was caused by an inexperienced driver in over his head.

The organizers should step back even further and ask why was the Z driver allowed out on the track without supervision when he clearly lacked the experience to be out there safely on his own. "Free" instructing is great, but sometimes it should be "mandatory". Most lapping day organizers require newbies to be checked out before letting them out on their own. Those that don't - I avoid them.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
I guess I just disagree Fe1rx. The driver tried to stay off the racing line as you suggest would have avoided the incident, but it put him in the dirt because he wasn't paying enough attention which caused him to lose control. None of the things you claim were the Miatas fault are true in this club under the rules specified before the event. No one in the club that was at the event or has watched the video has suggested the Miata did anything wrong. The Miata passed on the correct side, at a reasonable time and on a "straight" where point-by rules were not applicable.

The club runs point-by passing exactly as you describe when the run group is not mixed, and it works great.

This driver had 5 days prior experience including an event under identical passing rules.

The club only assigns mentors to new/guest drivers. Other drivers are expected to request it if they want additional help when they sign up. We did have a former mentor state after the incident that this driver showed similar uncertainty over a year ago. The mentor admitted they should have alerted the race organizers. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

I did not post this to debate fault. I just tried to pass on a little racing wisdom to hopefully help others have safe, fun track experiences. You are not wrong that the Miata could have done things to avoid the wreck too. The entire situation could have been avoided in a thousand different ways. But the simplest is to follow the basic fundamental that you stay on line and let faster cars go around. This applies to every form of passing rule, from novice drivers to the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
      12-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, 550i, X3

Garage List
You can see where he went 2 off on right and then overcorrected which led him to go sidesways.

Edit

Just saw earlier post that mentions Z driver in the mud. I agree he was too concerned about letting others pass he didn't keep his eyes ahead.

But I don't agree that Z should've pointed outside. Points traditionally are inside of turns. Though I'm not familiar with this track, he seems to be taking the right line. He lines himself up with the curbing to take a late apex. That appears to be the correct school line. Maybe the racing line is to take the inside but for DE (or non-race as you call it) why would you expect him to hug the inside? So to say this could've been avoided had he stayed on the racing line doesn't seem applicable here.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 12-07-2014 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

The car being passed stays on the racing line. The car doing the passing facilitates their own pass by moving out of the racing line and finding a safe path to pass.

The Z-car went off the racing line, was looking in the mirrors, and went two off on a slippery track. The Z-car is at fault.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

This is just the perspective of someone who has only driven with an instructor in the novice group. But, it's not a race, and if someone is that far off line, which means you can't really predict what they'll do next (this guy even had his left blinker going), then simply don't pass them until a straight. But moreover, i think what is meant by a point-by is needs very clear definition. From how i understand a point-by for novice drivers, they are given individually (hand extended outside the car to inside the car means only one car passes), so really the only the first miata had a point-by, and the evo and crashed miata really shouldn't have attempted the pass.

If i was to assign blame, i'd assign more to the evo and crashed miata, and way more to whoever thought it was OK to run advanced and novice drivers together with mixed passing rules.

Last edited by Hops128i; 12-06-2014 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0