BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Rachel
Dangerous Curves
United_States
Rep
Drives: better than the boys ;)

Garage List
2011 Ducati 848EVO  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Brake Error Light, Reduced Power - Anyone??

So, I was autoxing recently and during my first run my car all of sudden shows a brake symbol with an exclamation point error light on the dash. The power is reduced and the revs jump from 1.5-2 up and down. I shut the car off, turn it back on and it's fine. Out of 16 runs it happened 8 times.
Also, I always turn both DSC/DTC off. I've been Autocrossing the car for 3 years, and have not had issues before.
Later in a run where I didn't get the error message, my brakes locked up - no ABS.
Took it to the dealer and they checked for faults.

- Engine Power reduced due to brake overheating (however, it was my first run and I doubt the brakes were hot, and it didn't happen in some of the later runs).
- There was also a wheel speed sensor fault. They have no idea.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks.

Last edited by Rachel; 06-28-2012 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Bad fluid?? no clue in this case...never heard/seen that happen when i track.
      06-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
Rachel
Dangerous Curves
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Bad fluid?? no clue in this case...never heard/seen that happen when i track.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have the ATE race fluid in there. Also, it happened when the car had been sitting for 2 hours.
      06-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel
So, I was autoxing recently and during my first run my car all of sudden shows a brake symbol with an exclamation point error light on the dash. The power is reduced and the revs jump from 1.5-2 up and down. I shut the car off, turn it back on and it's fine. Out of 16 runs it happened 8 times.
Also, I always turn both DSC/DTC off. I've been Autocrossing the car for 3 years, and have not had issues before.
Later in a run where I didn't get the error message, my brakes locked up - no ABS.
Took it to the dealer and they checked for faults.

- Engine Power reduced due to brake overheating (however, it was my first run and I doubt the brakes were hot, and it didn't happen in some of the later runs).
- There was also a wheel speed sensor fault. They have no idea.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks.
The wheel speed sensor must have something to do with it. How else do you explain the code in the memory. Maybe it is failing intermittently. If they are cheap I would just change the sensor that threw the code. I would also try to find out what tells the computer that the brakes are overheating. Maybe it's part of the speed sensor.
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Rachel
Dangerous Curves
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southjersey128 View Post
The wheel speed sensor must have something to do with it. How else do you explain the code in the memory. Maybe it is failing intermittently. If they are cheap I would just change the sensor that threw the code. I would also try to find out what tells the computer that the brakes are overheating. Maybe it's part of the speed sensor.
Thanks, I was actually going to clean the wheel speed sensors to see if that makes a difference (a thought I found after searching a bunch). I also found out that the system uses a couple different things to guess if the brakes are overheating.
Wheel speed sensors, length of brake usage, pressure of brake usage, and ambient temperature.
Hopefully cleaning the wheels speed sensors will change things. If not, I can replace the ones that are registering the fault.