BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW Z3 Coupe

DIY- BMW Performance spoiler

I thought I would throw a small DIY together for this even though it is not too difficult.

Step 1: I used a fishing line to get under the factory lip spoiler, and went back and forth with the string the entire way across the trunk.
After the factory one was off, I was left with a lot of sticky tape. I just peeled it off by hand, it came off easily. I cleaned up the part of the trunk with a clay bar and some quick detailer just to make sure the surface was perfectly clean. Then I used a small amount of 3m adhesive remover (this is all I had, some people use alchohol) just to give it a final clean.

Step 2: Time to prep the carbon fiber with tape. I used automotive grade adhesive tape by 3m. It was a few bucks at Wal Mart so I bought 2 rolls incase I messed up. Notice the 2 strips I put in the back lip of the spoiler.

Step 3: I Heated up the tape on the spoiler itself with a hair dryer. I did this because I was in a garage in MN. I had the furnace in the garage on, but it was still only 60 degrees. Then I heated up the trunk surface. After all of that, I had 2 friends help me line it up and install the spoiler. It was relatively easy with one person on each side and middle. We got it perfectly centered.

Step 4: After you have made sure it is perfect, tape it down with painters tape. I used microfibers under the tape on the corners so it fit to the shape of the spoiler for maximum hold.

I let it sit in the heated garage for about 24 hours with the painters tape. Once I took it all off, it was solid as a rock.

03-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Couple things...

I would put one long continuous piece along the leading edge to prevent any moisture from creeping in or debris building up in the gaps/spaces.

I didnt find a need for a second strip of tape behind the first although I did have pieces of tape on the (vertical) rear section to attach the back end of it. I also didnt use any painters tape to hold it down, just firmly press and it will stick. I dont see how painters tape provides any real pressure/leverage.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Couple things...

I would put one long continuous piece along the leading edge to prevent any moisture from creeping in or debris building up in the gaps/spaces.

I didnt find a need for a second strip of tape behind the first although I did have pieces of tape on the (vertical) rear section to attach the back end of it. I also didnt use any painters tape to hold it down, just firmly press and it will stick. I dont see how painters tape provides any real pressure/leverage.
I put as much tape on there as I could. I didn't think I could over do it. Rather safe than sorry, especially with the cold weather in MN.

The painters tape helped to hold it in place should the tape not stick right away once again due to cold temps. Also, every other diy I have seen, the person did that step.
      03-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
cool thanks, about to do this next week
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
cool thanks, about to do this next week
Yeah it really looks great in the sun
      03-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Tape may not be needed but doesn't hurt, the extra force will just make it adhere more quickly. Just have to be careful putting it on that it distributes that extra force evenly. Also, good call waiting 24hrs, that's needed for typical adhesives to fully stick.

(worked at 3M for a few years w/ stuff like this).
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Tape may not be needed but doesn't hurt, the extra force will just make it adhere more quickly. Just have to be careful putting it on that it distributes that extra force evenly. Also, good call waiting 24hrs, that's needed for typical adhesives to fully stick.

(worked at 3M for a few years w/ stuff like this).
Exactly, just wanted to play it safe.

OT but do you ever go to local cars and coffee?
      03-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Thanks for the writeup.

BMW does sell a tape kit for the regular lip spoiler which has the end pieces already cut into points, plus a roll of tape. Not what I'd call good value for money though
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnip Gnop View Post
OT but do you ever go to local cars and coffee?
Haven't been to one yet. I'm an admin on MNSCC and I'm at all of our meets, but we are slowly fading away so I may have to find some other stuff to attend once in a while. Plus, even though my car's nice, I haven't done much to it. If I went to C&C I'd probably park on the outskirts and just walk around anyways.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Haven't been to one yet. I'm an admin on MNSCC and I'm at all of our meets, but we are slowly fading away so I may have to find some other stuff to attend once in a while. Plus, even though my car's nice, I haven't done much to it. If I went to C&C I'd probably park on the outskirts and just walk around anyways.
I highly reccomend going to at least one event this year. It is such a great place to host such an event. I have always parked my cars in the show, and plan on parking the 135i in the show. There is always someone who will appreciate a certain car in the show. I even brought in my $3,000 e 36 and I had a few people complimenting it!