BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #23
BlueH2O
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Blue water 135i

Caranddriver. com with the TireRack tested summer tires in July 2009 including Potenza 760 using BMW 328i.
Check out the link: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #24
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Without reading any of the other posts here, I gotta say most likely its just a shit tire for this car. Do your research on tirerack PLEASE. Dont know how the hell anyone buys tires without doing so, otherwise id just feel like a random dummy driver going to a local tire shop n saying "i need new tires, what do ya have for me??"
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #25
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135forthewin View Post
+1. When I switched out my runcraps to Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs, they did feel a little sloppy in comparison.

Keep in mind not only do you have full tread depth causing that squirmy feel, but you also no longer have sidewalls meant to support a nearly 3500lb vehicle (loaded weight) for at least 50 miles at 50 mph.

Sure, they might feel softer. Once you get your pressures right (I suggest somewhere around 33F 35R cold), toss her into a corner in a safe place. Make sure those bolsters of yours are tight because she'll grip like a mofo.

I would never suggest running 40 PSI cold. All this will do is where the center of your tire and cause an unstable feeling on breezy days at high speed. With a 40 PSI cold pressure, think of you tire as balancing on the middle part of the tread ONLY.

As for tread life, you'll have to deal with it. These cars have negative camber naturally (especially in the rear) and so the inside of the tires will wear more quickly. You have a 1er, and you like driving her, so my only suggestion to even out the wear is to hit an autox or road course every couple of months .
I run 40-41psi on my rears and they work great, and 38psi up front.
If you look at BMW's recommendation, they do indeed recommend that high of a pressure for those who drive sustained highway speed.

There is no feeling of riding on the center of the tire. 40psi is not enough to balloon the tires as you say. You can even visually see that the tires flatten quite nicely on the tread. Most of my driving is commuting on highway so the higher pressure works great, and increases longevity.
In the winter I drop them down a few psi to get a bit more bite in the snow.
I have Conti DWS on my 135i.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #26
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Without reading any of the other posts here, I gotta say most likely its just a shit tire for this car. Do your research on tirerack PLEASE. Dont know how the hell anyone buys tires without doing so, otherwise id just feel like a random dummy driver going to a local tire shop n saying "i need new tires, what do ya have for me??"
I believe he did do his research, and it looks like he choose a pretty good tire given what he was looking for.
The RE760 ranks #1 in it's category, and ranked #2 in a tirerack test.

The problem was the stupidly low tire pressures the shop put in the tires. Those low pressures will easily make a cars handling feel sluggish and sloppy as the sidewall is flexing like crazy.
He pumped the pressure up and they felt a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #27
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Cool. Well all I saw was those tires def rated lower in every category vs the Conti's, specially treadwear and wet performance AND overall satisfaction.

I made a choice based largely off of those reputable reviews as well as what ive seen. Never been happier with a tire.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 11:54 PM   #28
Evan135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: My wife Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by britt_e82 View Post
Thank you all for your reply's. especially the serious ones. It's awesome to read constructive comments from people who know and love our little 1's

Update:

I found out that I have 30 days to return these tires and apply what I spent on something else. (Nice perk)

I've been toying with different tire pressures. Currently running 40 all around. The tire shop had 29/32 front/back. I have know idea why they did that. The car is night and day different running 40 all around.

I want longevity for my tires. I have a bone stock car and actually had no problems with the RTF's other than price to replace. (I got 33,000 miles out of them and actually sold back the fronts with at least 5-8,000 more miles on them) I wanted to replace them with another set of Bridgestones and read some good reviews on the 760's.

Not sure If I'll keep them but I have 3 weeks to make up my mind. I'll put the car through it's paces the next few days and figure something out.

Thanks again for all the insight
BMW puts extra compliance into the suspension of cars that come with run flats to make them easier to live with in day to day use. When you change from run flats to non run flats you should consider installing the M3 suspension componets to firm things back up. That is exactly what BMW is doing on the M3 and the new 1M. In the front try the M3 wishbones and strut rods. These have much firmer bushings. You will get a lot of the "feel" back with those and reduce understeer some. In the back you can use a similar approach by adding the M3 rear bushings. I have done this and I am very happy.

The only thing that really has annoyed me with my 135 is that I have had to do a lot of suspension rengineering due to the runflats. I have found it strange that it has taken all this work to make my 135 feel like my 330 ZHP did stock. BMW makes the M cars with out runflats for a reason and these cars are some of the best handling cars in the world. You can search and will find many post on the above upgrades and the benefits. It is not just the tires, infact with the above inprovements you might really like them.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #29
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJUNO78 View Post
I'm all for ditching runflats, but I don't know if I would do that on my wifes car.
It's funny you said that, as I will never put non-RFT on my wife's car no matter how she complains about the price/ride (although she hasn't). It's always safety first.

To the OP most people has covered the important points and you'll find that having the pressure up will make a huge difference. I am now settled with 40F/38R and I have Pirelli's PZeros (not Rosso/Nero). I have done 25000km but it's about time for me to change tires, so durability is not that much of an issue, but I know there is another fellow member who changed at 13000km.

RFT has much harder side walls and for some reason BMW made the suspension settings much series much softer (which is not the case in the 3ers). Having softer sidewalls gives more bodyroll, but the non-RFT gives superior grip, superior ride and milage, which way over compensate with the bodyroll. It only takes a bit of learning to control that bodyroll. I will take the non-RFT over the RFT any day.

Have it a bit longer, but if you want to change it to one which has a stiffer sidewall.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #30
old1
yield to pedestrians
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

The only thing that really has annoyed me with my 135 is that I have had to do a lot of suspension rengineering due to the runflats. I have found it strange that it has taken all this work to make my 135 feel like my 330 ZHP did stock. BMW makes the M cars with out runflats for a reason and these cars are some of the best handling cars in the world. You can search and will find many post on the above upgrades and the benefits. It is not just the tires, infact with the above inprovements you might really like them.[/QUOTE]

A big amen to that! With switching to the BMW Performance Susp. and buying non-runflats I've spent over $3k just to get my ultimate driving machine to drive right. And again, this is not the sort of thing you are likely to discover on a test drive, unless you are Ferris Bueller's parking attendant. This is likely to be my last BMW as long as they stay with the RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #31
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by old1 View Post
The only thing that really has annoyed me with my 135 is that I have had to do a lot of suspension rengineering due to the runflats. I have found it strange that it has taken all this work to make my 135 feel like my 330 ZHP did stock..
This is what worries my about going to non-runflats. When going to non-rft's, everyone seems to say the ride is much softer, but often don't mention how the handling has changed. If i have to re-engineer, i'm staying with rft's.

While I can't comment on how non-runflat are, I like how my car handles with the pzero runflats. The cornering is really crisp, I'm worried I'll lose that in a non-rft.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #32
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops128i View Post
This is what worries my about going to non-runflats. When going to non-rft's, everyone seems to say the ride is much softer, but often don't mention how the handling has changed. If i have to re-engineer, i'm staying with rft's.

While I can't comment on how non-runflat are, I like how my car handles with the pzero runflats. The cornering is really crisp, I'm worried I'll lose that in a non-rft.
Plan on going to a street setup of 17s wo/RFTs, Coil overs, M3 arms and bushings, and a Diff.

Running 18 RFTs will never get you to the ultimate drive on street or track.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #33
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Just curious if anyone has had this issue.
I just recently replaced the factory Bridgestone runflats with Bridgestone RE760's. ...
Thanks for posting this question. I must be the single 1-er who's not unhappy with the stock RFT setup. In fact, I've had compliments from passengers about the smoothness of the ride. My brother drives a 350Z and he said the 135i rides far better than his Z (and I agree). Granted our roads appear to be in better shape than the folks further up north, but I have no problems with the current ride and handling. So, I'll probably stick with the RFT setup when I replace the originals.

FWIW, my current air pressure is 35/38 psi f/r, the way it came when I took delivery from the BMW Performance Center in SC.

pge
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #34
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennislaw View Post
Thanks for posting this question. I must be the single 1-er who's not unhappy with the stock RFT setup. In fact, I've had compliments from passengers about the smoothness of the ride. My brother drives a 350Z and he said the 135i rides far better than his Z (and I agree). Granted our roads appear to be in better shape than the folks further up north, but I have no problems with the current ride and handling. So, I'll probably stick with the RFT setup when I replace the originals.
You probably are the only one that is not unhappy with the ride of run flat tires. I will admit that while the very stiff side walls may make the car seem to have more responsiveness when turning, the added weight would be a detriment.

BMW, you were able to get 1 happy customer with RFTs. Congratulations.
      08-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #35
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
You probably are the only one that is not unhappy with the ride of run flat tires. ...
LOL, maybe you guys are a bunch of sissies, need a pillow on the seat or something.

To tell the truth, my DD is an 18 year old Maxima SE whose suspension feels like it's welded to the chassis since it's still all OEM, so the 1-er rides and drives like a dream.

pge
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #36
old1
yield to pedestrians
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:

FWIW, my current air pressure is 35/38 psi f/r, the way it came when I took delivery from the BMW Performance Center in SC.

pge
For me it wasn't just the ride, although that was bad enough with all the bump steer and tramlining from the stock RFT Bridgestones. Hitting a pot hole or a sunken manhole cover felt like it was going break the suspension, and probably would have in time. Beyond that the stock set-up was just scary at anything over 80 mph, and even worse in the rain at any speed.
On the highway the car pogoed and always felt like is was in a strong crosswind. It was a toss-up for me as to either get rid of the car or try to make it better.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #37
Hops128i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I must be the single 1-er who's not unhappy with the stock RFT setup.
not really, the original poster is not unhappy with the stock RFT's. And I don't have a problem with how the runflats ride or handle, but i do have a major problem with rft selection the general view that many tire shops won't repair a runflat. It's just absurd. I thought it was just ridiculous to have to replace my tire after I discovered a small screw causing a 4lb/day leak. The car was never even driven with the warning light on, I got the warning light in my driveway and didn't drive it. (BTW i learned to plug the tire myself)

It's good that RFT's can save you in the event of a catastrophic blowout at highway speed, but, i forget the source, the vast majority of these events have occured with non-rfts because don't pay any attention to their tire pressure whatsoever. I doubt most people even have a tire gauge in the car. They drive around with a chronically under inflated tire until the sidewall finally give.

So, i think the RFT is really trying to address tire problems of those who are completely ignorant or refuse to do the simple maintenance required to keep tires properly inflated. I question the safety benefit value of these things. If you consider the extra money/hassle/time spent for having a RTF, the money might be better spent on other safety features.

Last edited by Hops128i; 08-22-2010 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #38
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
RFT's are for the mass amount of ignorant dumbasses that drive around without a clue that they have a low tire pressure until some little icon pops up in there face with a loud sound, then they can say "oops I guess i should take my car in now"

Most peoples like us who actually give two shits about our cars and look after them would never need one. If a blowout happens, very rare anyways as long as you're a decent driver. Then you pull over and take advantage of roadside service to tow u to a dealer to have the tire replaced, or a tire shop, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #39
cj350s
Major Dad
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by old1 View Post
Beyond that the stock set-up was just scary at anything over 80 mph, and even worse in the rain at any speed.
On the highway the car pogoed and always felt like is was in a strong crosswind. It was a toss-up for me as to either get rid of the car or try to make it better.
My new 128i (non-sport) felt somewhat the same; twitchy and a little unnerving at highway speeds.

A slight steering correction to the right produced a sharper reaction than an equal correction to the left (the twitchy), resulting in a slight body oscillation (the unnerving) while the car came back on center.

After a 4-wheel alignment (left front camber adjustment and a right rear unknown adjustment) the car now handles beautifully; like a whole new vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #40
britt_e82
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Update: Went back to runflats and love them

Here's the update.

I'm the original poster, I had enough of the non runflats. took them back to "Americas Tire". They gave me credit for the return and I purchased the OEM Bridgestone 050's. My car feels great and my wife will drive it again.
Hopefully I'll get another 33,000 miles out of the rears

I appreciate and understand the non runflat crew and the many suspension mods done to their cars. I however am not interested in suspension upgrades for this car, (not yet).

I appreciate that I have a bone stock car thats dialed in from the factory for a host of driving scenarios.

I just got back from a 700 mile round trip from Southern California to Mammoth last night. Left the family at home this time so I took the "1" rather than the Tacoma, I loaded up the trunk with my fishing and outdoor gear, stuck my "Valentine One" on the windshield and enjoyed every bit of the drive, especially the piece of mind the runflats gave me in the middle of nowhere without a spare. Car drove like a dream.

Word of advice for long trips. "use the cruise control". these cars are designed for high speeds. After a while without it my foot got a little heavy and I was at 110 without noticing it. Lots of CHP on the 395. cruised 80 most of the way up. What a cool drive. I received quite a few complements about the car up there. Possibly the first of it's kind to head up Lake Mary Road.
      08-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #41
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

I replaced stock bridgestones with hankooks and the car is much softer, which is good and bad. I didn't realize switching to the softer sidewall would make such a huge difference, but it did. When I wear these out I'll probably go back to the run flats the way the suspension was intended.

I also bent a rim with the hankooks. There just isn't enough sidewall resistance to protect the tires from potholes.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #42
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
Good point.

Alot of people dont know that BMW designed our suspensions softer to balance out the harshness of the RFT's. Switching to NonRFT's will cause it to feel I guess sloppier from the extra "Softness" you attain.

You might need to upgrade to a stiffer suspension to get that feeling back. I've upgraded to K sport coilovers and haven't looked back

I agree. There is a lot of good advice in here.
      08-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #43
Hops128i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Here's the update.

I appreciate and understand the non runflat crew and the many suspension mods done to their cars. I however am not interested in suspension upgrades for this car, (not yet).

especially the piece of mind the runflats gave me in the middle of nowhere without a spare.
Thanks for the update. From scanning the message boards, it seems I see more complaints about the older RFT's, maybe they really have improved? I think i'll probably stick with my RFT's too,

But I don't feel safer on a road trip outside the range of my runflat. What do you do after the RFT is shot and you're still 50mi from a dealer which might not even have your particular RFT? I still wish there was a spare, then, at least with a spare in combination with a RFT you could have the range. Additionally you could save a leaky, repairable RFT for a more worthy occasion.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #44
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Heh..well whatever makes ya happy man

All I know is the Conti DWs I replaced my no-fun-flats with perform very well and are ALOT more comfy with ALOT less noise.

I think honestly tire to tire theyre all different in many ways, perhaps you were looking for something the certain tires you bought just dont have, no reason to give up on all non-rft's just cuz of this, that's a mistake.

And btw the 050's are not the stock tire that came on the car, least not mine, those were the 760s i believe..
Appreciate 0