BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #23
mchaoster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i on order

i have a 4 and 6 year old and it works just fine. just have to clean the car often as the kids keep getting the back seats dirty...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #24
burger16b
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Her hunk of shit Cherokee is paid for my 96 civic is my work beater cuz it gets good mileage and is paid for but has high mileage. The 1 is my car i love. And I don't think the payments would effect us. We live in long island so she sits for the winter the rubicon would b great for the snow but not driven all the time to keep the mileage down. I looked into refinancing the 1 I can get a lower payment and stay at the same amount if not increase it by 1 month.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #25
burger16b
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0E
She is only your girlfriend and you are already taking orders from her? Oh boy...

I would hold off on caving and selling your car. You may regret it if you two break up. Not to sound like an ass or anything, just trying to be real here. That said, I have owned two Wranglers, including a Rubicon, before my BMW's and I will tell you one thing: Unless you live somewhere with a decently snowy winter, the Wrangler is FAR from practical. In fact, I would rate it as less practical (practically no trunk) than your 135 and I have had experience with both. To top it off, you will never see better than 15mpg anywhere, city or highway, and with those 35's (my first wrangler had 33's) you will be closer to 12mpg. Better hope gas prices don't go up too much or you will be paying for it at the pump instead of with car payments. Keep in mind, I love wranglers so I am not biased against them by any means.

That's my 2 cents. I think it's a terrible decision personally unless you really want a wrangler and it will be payment free...
Yea I've owned a wrangler before so I know about the gas. She just doesn't like me modding my car n says its fast enough but has no problem with me modding a jeep. Your absolutely right about being mad as all hell if we broke up and I sold my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 02:50 AM   #26
Bluelady
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 330i

She's has a problem modding the 1er but not the wrangler. WTF. I don't think it's got anything to do with payments. She clearly hates the 1er. Car envy perhaps. I'd sell my husband before I sold my 135. Better yet I sold his wrx sti gave him my 02 330 and got a 2012 135. Good luck with the decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #27
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
I'm not married(never have been either) but it seems that the men are always ask to make concessions. I would keep the 1er for now it can transport 2 kids perfectly til they're 7 or 8. By that time it should be paid off and you can get a more "family orientated" transporter. I have a 4 year old nephew and he fits fine with a booster seat. If payments are too high I would consider a trade for a VW MK6 GTI 4dr, it's still German, its safe and fun to drive. GL man!!
Of course the man must make concessions - he's the one that got her in that state! LOL
      08-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #28
SteveAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i Cab

Hold on.... "Her hunk of shit Cherokee", I'd say that pretty well sums that up.

Maybe she's asking you to not spend so much time with the other lady in your life. Sounds to me like you need to talk to her (get used to it) and make concessions. If it's not a money thing, it's time or safety. Given the wrangler argument...I'm thinking it's time. If you enjoy working on the 1, there are ways...."hush money" and negotiate time. It's all about give and take!

If you're not familiar with the term "hush money"...you want something and in return you ask her what she wants. It may be monetary, a weekend, a new dish washer...whatever...then you decide how bad you want it. Once you do as she asks, you get your prize and the deal is she can never say another word about it. I use it all the time....and when she wants me to do something for her....tada...it goes both ways and nobody feels guilty.

References....my 22 years of marriage...and yes, to the same woman.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #29
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelady View Post
She's has a problem modding the 1er but not the wrangler. WTF. I don't think it's got anything to do with payments. She clearly hates the 1er. Car envy perhaps. I'd sell my husband before I sold my 135. Better yet I sold his wrx sti gave him my 02 330 and got a 2012 135. Good luck with the decision.
Love it, love you....would you marry me
Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #30
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

One question...

Can you afford to repay your car and provide for your child?

Yes - Keep both and tell the woman to understand why you need a project like this. To be honest it sounds like she's scared of the performance/your driving/potential safety issues carrying you child around as a passenger in a brutal car.

No - Well my friend, your child becomes priority so wave that car off and hope for something like it again after the kid has gone to college.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #31
wsquared
Brand Traitor
Rep

I would think twice about starting down the path of modifying a Wrangler. I've got an '08 on 35's....and it's a long way from practical. My girlfriend constantly tells me that I drive like an ass when I'm in the Wrangler around town...but that's mostly because 35 inch tires allow me to drive over curbs, parking barriers, and snowbanks.

It COULD be argued that a 4 door Wrangler would be more practical than a 135....if you never gave any though to the fuel consumption, lack of stability, and sheer amount of noise that it makes going down the road. Don't get my wrong....I love my Jeep, but I use it off-road in the mountains on a regular basis.

Whatever you do, understand that the baby is coloring every choice or decision she makes right now. Logic may have little or no influence on what she says or does.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #32
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

drive over curbs, parking barriers, and snowbanks.

Just an aside, but I bet there are a lot of snowbanks in Houston...!!!

08-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #33
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
A wrangler does not seem like the safest option for a family car... something to look into

If I was dead set on BMW, I would look into a cpo 335i sedan
      08-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #34
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

To me it sounds like you want something fast but need something economical, practical and good in the snow. Sounds like you should sell the Civic and pick up used Legacy. If that doesn't work financially sell the 1 and get a WRX. Rear facing seat will be very tight in the 1, front passenger better be a dwarf. Once you can turn them around, its not bad though...
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #35
wsquared
Brand Traitor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
drive over curbs, parking barriers, and snowbanks.

Just an aside, but I bet there are a lot of snowbanks in Houston...!!!

I'm not sure....so far I've spent less than six months in Houston. I'm told that I'll have to worry about snow once or twice in each decade while I'm there....which is why I bought a 135i to drive there

My Jeep (and girlfriend) are still in Calgary for the time being. I still don't think that there are all that many snowbanks in Calgary (I grew up in Montreal), but every now and then a good storm blows through and I can actually use the Jeep's capabilities in town...or on the highway leaving town. Any vehicle that can chew through 3 feet of snow without even engaging the diff locks is alright in my books.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #36
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Dude. It doesn't sound like its about the money to me if she will let you buy a jeep and mod it. She's just being cheap because she doesn't want to spend on a new car. And I think she feels you are too much of a big kid with your car and wants you to "grow up" and do the right thing in her eyes which is sell. Ultimately it's your decision but if you aren't married or engaged I'd at least hold off awhile. And if you do sell the civic and the 1er and get a 3 series or Jetta or a4. All mod able and safe but fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #37
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
I'm not sure....so far I've spent less than six months in Houston. I'm told that I'll have to worry about snow once or twice in each decade while I'm there....which is why I bought a 135i to drive there

My Jeep (and girlfriend) are still in Calgary for the time being. I still don't think that there are all that many snowbanks in Calgary (I grew up in Montreal), but every now and then a good storm blows through and I can actually use the Jeep's capabilities in town...or on the highway leaving town. Any vehicle that can chew through 3 feet of snow without even engaging the diff locks is alright in my books.
Must be in the "awl" business...

I spent about 18 months in Houston back in the late 70s, and never saw a freezing day, let alone snow there. Dallas, OTOH, got a severe ice storm just before the Cotton Bowl in 1979 and no one could get to the game.

I also lived 10+ years in Calgary, so can attest to the fact that there are few snowbanks in Calgary - most years, but not always.

Anyway, I found driving in Houston back then to be a lousy experience - the freeways were over-crowded, in poor shape and had lots of loose debris to fly up into your windshield. Not my favorite city at all.

Sorry for the off-topic stuff.
      08-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #38
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Don't really see how a lifted rubicon is any more practical than a 135, IMO it would be less practical. I would downsize to one car for the time being. My practical side says to get rid of the 1 and drive the civic until you have a better grip of the financial requirements of a child.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #39
Bluelady
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvitdk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelady View Post
Love it, love you....would you marry me
Only if u bring your own 1er. I don't share mine. Haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #40
wsquared
Brand Traitor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger16b View Post
Her hunk of shit Cherokee is paid for my 96 civic is my work beater cuz it gets good mileage and is paid for but has high mileage. The 1 is my car i love. And I don't think the payments would effect us. We live in long island so she sits for the winter the rubicon would b great for the snow but not driven all the time to keep the mileage down. I looked into refinancing the 1 I can get a lower payment and stay at the same amount if not increase it by 1 month.
Two other things to think about:

#1. Do You intend to off-road the Jeep? If not, then you'll be wasting a pile of money (and carrying around extra weight) by buying a Rubicon model. The reason that the Rubicon is more expensive than the rest of the Wrangler line is that it comes with the following features:

-Dana 44 front axle (stronger than the regular Dana 30, to cope with off-road abuse)
-4:1 ratio in the transfer case in low (better crawl ratio for technical off-roading)
-4.10 ratio in each axle (better crawl ratio for technical off-roading)
-Electric selectable differential locks (for extremely slippery or technical sections off road)
-Electronic sway bar disconnect (allows more wheel travel for the front axle)

#2. The Rubicon model comes with BFG Mud Terrain tires. They perform okay (not great, but okay) for a mud tire, and have acceptable on-road manners. They are not really a winter tire though. Before I changed to larger tires, I had mine siped by a local tire shop. That improved the winter performance to what I feel is an acceptable level, but not great. I would imagine that much of what you deal with for winter driving on the East Coast will be icy/slushy instead of deep relatively dry snow. The BFG tires are not at their best on icy and slippery roads - the compound is actually quite hard, and they have no siping at all. You may want to factor in the cost of a set of winter tires too.

Also, if you're going to buy used, make sure that you get a 2012, and not a 2011 or earlier. Anything that is 2011 or earlier has the 3.8 liter V6....the dreaded minivan engine. Reliable, efficient, underpowered, and utterly without personality. 2012 and up, you get the improved "Pentastar" V6.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #41
Gnarsh Darkwatch
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Don't really see how a lifted rubicon is any more practical than a 135, IMO it would be less practical. I would downsize to one car for the time being. My practical side says to get rid of the 1 and drive the civic until you have a better grip of the financial requirements of a child.
THIS.
Appreciate 0