BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
135BANDIT
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 BMT & X5 Msport

front end noise

Hi crew,

Has anyone experienced a clicking noise when tunring the steering on the 135i

I have just noticed a clicking noise when steering either left or right, sounds like a US CV joint , but I am not sure.

Its booked in for a look see, but was wondering if thier are any known issues that i should prompt the SA to review.

I have not had any HPFP issues , but i mentioned that i Had during a routine service and recieved the factory software update - which i dont think i would have recieved had i not prompted the SA to investigate.

I know it seems really bad to cry wolf - when its not warranted , but its probaly on par with not disclosing publicily you have a manufacturing defect.

JD
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Yeah I've been experiencing this too. It's quite random in that it doesn't always happen.

Let us know how you go. A little reading on the forum will arm you with 'some' knowledge of potential answers, but no one has really found a solid fix from what i can see - poor form by BMW to just say "we can't find the issue" which they have said to members on here before.

Thankfully it doesn't affect drivability huh. I'll be getting mine checked out next week. Good luck with yours!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #3
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

sounds like it might be a wheel bearing. lift the car up, or at least the corner where the noise is coming from, and see if you can feel any play. spin the wheel and see if you can replicate the noise.

good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

I had this issue, and the dealer kept saying they couldn't find anything. Eventually, I pressed them until they got a "Master Technician" involved, who immediatly said it was a noise from the RFT's and wheels - he was very aware of it already. I questioned this to the point that he had the tyre deflated and put chalk around the bead to demonstrate that the noise went away - which it did for a while, but returned a few days later after the chalk had worn away / moved.

Apparently, the way the tyre wall moves around on the rim causes it.

I've since put non-RFT's on, and no noise at all.

That was my experience, anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
I had this issue, and the dealer kept saying they couldn't find anything. Eventually, I pressed them until they got a "Master Technician" involved, who immediatly said it was a noise from the RFT's and wheels - he was very aware of it already. I questioned this to the point that he had the tyre deflated and put chalk around the bead to demonstrate that the noise went away - which it did for a while, but returned a few days later after the chalk had worn away / moved.

Apparently, the way the tyre wall moves around on the rim causes it.

I've since put non-RFT's on, and no noise at all.

That was my experience, anyway.
May I ask which dealer this was? And to confirm, the sound was like rocks bouncing inside a tin can?

Thanks for letting us know how you dealt with the issue! All the more reason to upgrade the standard RFT's... even though mine are all 99%
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
May I ask which dealer this was? And to confirm, the sound was like rocks bouncing inside a tin can?

Thanks for letting us know how you dealt with the issue! All the more reason to upgrade the standard RFT's... even though mine are all 99%
The dealer was Northshore in Artarmon.

From your description, not sure it's the same noise. Mine was a steady clicking sound when on heavy lock (not full lock), and under load. Like when you're using a small amount of throttle to turn onto a carpark ramp. That was exactly when it was most obvious on mine.

LOL - I ended up taking the "Master tech" to the basement carpark at Bunnings in Artarmon to demonstrate it - like doing low speed "circle work".
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
The dealer was Northshore in Artarmon.

From your description, not sure it's the same noise. Mine was a steady clicking sound when on heavy lock (not full lock), and under load. Like when you're using a small amount of throttle to turn onto a carpark ramp. That was exactly when it was most obvious on mine.

LOL - I ended up taking the "Master tech" to the basement carpark at Bunnings in Artarmon to demonstrate it - like doing low speed "circle work".
Hmm interesting. I may be diagnosing it differently then. Anyhow, good to know Northshore were kind enough to finally let the master tech take a ride with you hehe. I hope when i take mine in they take a thorough look the first time.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

I have the noise as well, when going too fast over carpark ramps or speed bumps can hear the front end popping noise, if I slow down more, the sound is not there.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
I have had the sound for a while now, it's definitely a metallic 'click' sound, when on about 90degree turn or more, at any speed. I'm getting new pads and replacing the RFT's this week so will report on if that changes it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
I have had the sound for a while now, it's definitely a metallic 'click' sound, when on about 90degree turn or more, at any speed. I'm getting new pads and replacing the RFT's this week so will report on if that changes it.
Keen to hear your thoughts afterwards. Good luck mate.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #11
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Ok after ditching the RFT's at the front and new brake pads (way overdue), the sound is now gone. So it's definitely one of those two!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #12
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Ok after ditching the RFT's at the front and new brake pads (way overdue), the sound is now gone. So it's definitely one of those two!
Sweet as.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #13
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Problem went away for me after getting rid of RFT's --- I still have original brake pads - I do have BMW Performance front rotors. But I've had the rotors since the care wa 6 weeks old, so it wasn't them.
Appreciate 0