BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
suspendedlicense
Rep
Drives:

Post 135i Four Season Wrap-up - Is 300hp too much?

Name:  auto1.jpg
Views: 8586
Size:  21.1 KB

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...35i/index.html

2008 BMW 135i - Four Seasons Wrap-up

Is 300 hp too much power for a compact, four-passenger sport coupe? Back in 1974, singer Barry White softly spoke the timeless line, "I've heard people say that too much of anything is not good for you, baby." Although White, of course, was referring to the love of a woman, nearly everyone who got behind the wheel of our Four Seasons 2008 BMW 135i coupe had similar thoughts about the twin-turbo six under its hood: was it simply too much for this little car?

But hang on. White's next line was, "But I don't know about that." And that was the reaction of most drivers once they'd revved, rev-matched, and redlined our 1-series: if anything, it wasn't enough. After all, as White continued, "the more you give, the more I want." Greedy bastard, just like us. Our 135i's logbook was filled with comments from staffers who first wondered if the 1-series had too much power and then, suddenly slapped silly by its absurd accelerative capabilities, wrote love letters to the engine. Case in point - after a ten-day, 1500-mile road trip, assistant editor David Zenlea got out his pen: "I am an enthusiast of the American muscle car persuasion, but I admit that the rush of the 135i's in-line six at full throttle is every bit as satisfying as that of a big pushrod V-8."

Although all of us, from time to time, wondered if the 135i suffered from powertrain overendowment, no one thought the 135i's chassis couldn't handle the Jurassic grunt. Still, everyone seemed to question whether maybe, just maybe, a 1-series really needed to be this fast. After all, it's not an M car, and in our minds, the 1-series was supposed to mark a return to BMW's traditional strengths of performance by virtue of thoughtful engineering and light weight, rather than simply the brute force of a disproportionately muscular powertrain. When our Alpine white coupe arrived, we had a hard time wrapping our heads around its design and its size. Is it too big and heavy to be called a One? Is it too small to cost what it does? One confused staffer couldn't decide whether it was "the deal of the century or the ultimate rip-off."

Compared with premium German compacts like the Volkswagen GTI and the Mini Cooper S, the 1-series seemed overpriced and underequipped, and it lacks hatchback versatility. On the other hand, the 135i was a more practical, more powerful, and far less expensive alternative to the Porsche Cayman.

Name:  auto2.jpg
Views: 8768
Size:  29.7 KB

In truth, the 135i steals some thunder from all of those cars, but we soon realized that it doesn't compete with any of them. In fact, for all of the talk we once heard about the 1-series being the spiritual successor to the 2002, it's almost a dead ringer, size-wise, for the E30-chassis 3-series. The 1-series, in its taut dimensions, driving experience, and even silhouette, reminded every editor who'd ever driven a 1987-1991 E30 325i of those beloved old Bimmers. And remember - that 325i is the BMW that made BMW what it is today, a favorite not just of yuppies but also of keen car enthusiasts. It was seriously expensive ($25,135 in 1989, or about $44,000 in today's money) but also seriously quick and seriously well-built. Suddenly, the 1-series wasn't so hard to understand.

Nor did it seem particularly overpriced, with a sticker of $39,125 that included $3450 in extras - leather, cold weather and sport packages, and an iPod adapter. We soon regretted not ordering power front seats, however, as many drivers found the manual seat adjustments difficult to use. Complaints also flowed in almost immediately about the 135i's lack of Bluetooth hands-free telephone connectivity, which we could have specified for an additional $750. Then again, BMW's pricey options can easily shoot the 135i's sticker price well into 3-series territory.

That's not to say our car was a stripper - the 135i came standard with adaptive xenon headlights, a power moonroof, rain-sensing wipers, and a slew of advanced safety features. And, of course, the 300-hp, 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged in-line six. Even longtime critics of the Bavarians' occasionally notchy transmissions loved the six-speed manual in the 135i; copy editor Rusty Blackwell deemed it "the best BMW shifter I've ever experienced."

In fact, our logbook contained almost nothing but praise for the way the 135i drove. Great steering, powerful brakes, and smooth power - these are qualities we have admired in the current 3-series, the car upon which the 1-series is heavily based. Despite its sport package, our big-wheeled One even rode well - until you encountered a nasty bump in the road. As if the progressive bump stops were mistakenly omitted on our car, the 135i suddenly would run out of wheel travel, crashing over potholes and pavement seams and transmitting a horrifying whack to the cabin. "I hate this suspension," cried senior Web editor Phil Floraday. And that was months before he hit a double-whammy sequence of classic Detroit road craters severe enough to blow the left front tire. "I momentarily panicked since there was no shoulder on the road," he recalled. "Then I remembered those run-flat tires we've been complaining about forever - it turns out they work great. When I was able to pull over, I inspected the rim. It seemed fine, so I carefully drove home with no air in the tire."

Name:  auto3.jpg
Views: 6801
Size:  28.3 KB

The tire needed to be replaced, of course, but otherwise, our 1-series spent very little time in the shop. In fact, besides one unscheduled visit to the dealership to proactively replace a low-pressure fuel pump, the BMW entered the service bay only once more, after it asked politely for an oil change - which was covered by BMW's free maintenance program.

The 1-series wasn't always polite in its demands, though - Zenlea commented that "this car likes to chime. It chimes when you open the door; it chimes when you insert the key. My favorite was when it chimed to tell me I needed to buckle up the turkey sandwich I had placed on the passenger seat." But then, his butt warmed sufficiently by the seat heaters that he and everyone else agreed "set the standard," Zenlea saw the bigger picture: "Whereas BMW's propensity for mining niches is baffling in some cases (read: the X6), the 1-series is a bull's-eye, letting loose distilled BMW goodness into a price bracket where nothing can quite compete. And even though the interior is pretty bare bones for $39,125, it feels impossibly more luxurious than that of our $41,515 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR."

So our 135i was completely reliable, cost us nothing to maintain, and drew unanimous praise for its "absolute dream" of an engine. It attracted loads of attention from admirers and felt "awesome, with M-worthy levels of power and tight, precise steering," reveled senior editor Joe Lorio. Our resident skeptic, technical editor Don Sherman, said it "exceeds the adult daily requirement for powertrain and chassis sweetness and purity." And New York bureau chief Jamie Kitman, who drove the 135i back to his Hudson River hideaway from this year's Detroit auto show, found it "hard not to like the 1-series, which I'd take over a 3-series."

So what's the kerfuffle about having too much power? Well, we roasted the rear summer tires in about 12,000 miles, so we obviously enjoyed every last bit of the thrust. The only problem is that we've all driven the 128i. It rolls on smaller wheels and tires, giving it a more supple ride and much greater resistance to bottoming out. It also costs about $6500 less, leaving lots more room in the budget for gadgets like Bluetooth, power seats, and navigation, which, for 2009, comes with BMW's vastly improved iDrive system.

Most important, the 128i's 230-hp, normally aspirated 3.0-liter engine is more than powerful enough even for the Leadfoot Department at 120 East Liberty Street, and it sings the same sweet in-line six-cylinder song. We're still not sure if there is such a thing as too much power, but we all agree that there can never be enough of that classic BMW music coming from under the hood.

Name:  auto4.jpg
Views: 7562
Size:  30.9 KB

RUNNING COSTS

Mileage
20,683 miles
Warranty
4-yr/50,000-mile bumper-to-bumper
4-yr/50,000-mile maintenance
4-yr/unlimited-mile roadside assistance
12-yr/unlimited-mile corrosion
Scheduled maintenance
15,548 mi: $0
Warranty repairs
5696 mi: Replace low-pressure fuel pump, per service bulletin
Out-of-pocket
16,909 mi: Purchase, mount, and balance four Pirelli SottoZero run-flat winter tires, $956Recalls
None
Fuel consumption
EPA city/hwy/combined
17/25/20 mpg
Observed 21 mpg
Cost per mile
(Fuel, service, winter tires) $0.20
($0.77 including depreciation)

Prices & Equipment
Base price
$35,675
Price as tested
$39,125
Trade-in value*
$27,600
Standard equipment
ABS; traction and stability control; xenon adaptive headlights with retractable washers; rain-sensing wipers; aerodynamic kit; power windows, mirrors, locks, and sunroof; cruise control; trip computer; auxiliary audio input; front, side, and side curtain air bags
Our options
Leather, $1450; cold weather package (ski bag, heated front seats), $600; sport package (sport seats, M steering wheel, shadowline trim), $1000; iPod and USB adapter, $400

*Estimate based on info from kbb.com and edmunds.com

RATING 4 out of 5 stars
Overview
body style 2-door coupe
accommodation 4 passengers
construction Steel unibody
Powertrain
Engine 24-valve DOHC twin-turbo I-6
Displacement 3.0 liters (182 cu in)
Horsepower 300 hp @ 5800 rpm
Torque 300 lb-ft @ 1400 rpm
Transmission type 6-speed manual
Drive Rear-wheel
Chassis
Steering Power rack-and-pinion
lock-to-lock 2.4 turns
turning circle 35.1 ft
Suspension, front Strut-type, coil springs
Suspension, rear Multilink, coil springs
Brakes Vented discs, ABS
Tires Bridgestone Potenza RE050A  RFT
Tire size f, r 215/40YR-18, 245/35YR-18
Measurements 37.9/37.1 in
headroom f/r 41.4/32.0 in
legroom f/r shoulder room f/r 54.0/53.4 in
L x W x H 172.2 x 68.8 x 55.4 in
Wheelbase 104.7 in
Track f/r 57.9/58.9 in
Weight 3400 lb
weight dist. f/r 52.0/48.0%
cargo capacity 10.0 cu ft
fuel capacity 14.0 gal
est. fuel range 280 miles
fuel grade 91 octane
Our Test Results
0-60 mph 5.0 sec
0-100 mph 12.6 sec
1/4-mile 13.7 sec @ 105 mph
30-70 mph passing 6.0 sec
peak acceleration 0.69 g
speed in gears 1) 40; 2) 68; 3) 104; 4) 138;
5) 143; 6) 143 mph
cornering l/r 0.92/0.92 g
70-0 mph braking 155 ft
peak braking 1.14 g
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

I think the hp stock or with a moderate tune is plenty, if they could just start cutting the weight

imagine this car weight 5-600 pounds less
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

That's a glowing review on the 1 series. Very reassuring to our purchase decision but not like we needed any.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

It's nice to see an automotive mag that has it for more than a few days write so glowingly about our cars as if we needed to be told!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

finally a review that doesn't complain about it not being a 3er
      06-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
jmunro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

Im not sure if they actually meant the HPFP instead of the low pressure one, but oh well.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yea saw that too, they probably did
      06-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

That is very high praise and all true.

I still pinch myself every day when I drive my 128. More than enough power for me, and "smooth power" is exactly right. I marvel at how much car I get for the buck. Amazing.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
sunking420
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 135i

Need....more......power.......
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I laughed very loudly when I read about the turkey sandwich that needed to be bouckled up.

The same thing happened to my computer a day before I read the article.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

The part of the review that caught my eye was showing up to the dealer to "proactively replace" the fuel pump. Can a 135i owner who doesn't write glowing reviews for a magazine get a proactive replacement of their first pump?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #12
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Nice, but I gotta say that an automotive journalist who would rather have a power seats and blue tooth than a more powerful engine in a sporty car is a bit odd.
      06-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunro View Post
Im not sure if they actually meant the HPFP instead of the low pressure one, but oh well.
They also say there was a service bulletin for it. I've never seen any mention of that before. And they didn't replace my LPFP when it was in for the HPFP. I find their statement on that very curious.

I've recently moved my photos to Google's web albums. Photos can be found here, here, and here.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 03:44 AM   #14
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Another great write up, good they made the car available to lots of staff members.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 09:21 AM   #15
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Nice, but I gotta say that an automotive journalist who would rather have a power seats and blue tooth than a more powerful engine in a sporty car is a bit odd.
Why? I enjoy my power seats and bluetooth. I find that that the 135i has no lack of power...i think all his issues with the car would be solved non-rfts (I know mine were).

But whats wrong with a sports car having power seats and bluetooth?

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #16
tm30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Why? I enjoy my power seats and bluetooth. I find that that the 135i has no lack of power...i think all his issues with the car would be solved non-rfts (I know mine were).

But whats wrong with a sports car having power seats and bluetooth?
The journalist was intimating that for $6000 less, one could do just fine with 230hp and add some bells/whistles.

Personally, I loved - LOVED - the 135. That engine is one for the ages. But for the cost, I want some creature comforts, and I simply couldn't stretch to 40K. I ended up test driving the 128i and found it had plenty of power and acceleration - plus it was an automatic, so I know the 6MT will perform even better. I already have a barebones 66 Mustang Fastback, so while I'll happily drive that un-air-conditioned beast in the summer heat for the thrill of the V-8, I was willing to sacrifice the hp for the sake of some goodies on the 128.
      06-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #17
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm30 View Post
The journalist was intimating that for $6000 less, one could do just fine with 230hp and add some bells/whistles.

Personally, I loved - LOVED - the 135. That engine is one for the ages. But for the cost, I want some creature comforts, and I simply couldn't stretch to 40K. I ended up test driving the 128i and found it had plenty of power and acceleration - plus it was an automatic, so I know the 6MT will perform even better. I already have a barebones 66 Mustang Fastback, so while I'll happily drive that un-air-conditioned beast in the summer heat for the thrill of the V-8, I was willing to sacrifice the hp for the sake of some goodies on the 128.

Being one of the very few that has a 135i with just one factory option, 6FL, I can definitely say that if I had it to do over again I would have tough time taking the 135i over a 128i with goodies. The plan was originally to get a 128i with options (sport, leather, ipod, phone and xenons) which is the car my brother has. His is plenty fast, especially for him. But then I went shopping for real after I sold my e46 and there was a bare bones 135i and impulse and instincts just took over! I love my car and don't regret not getting the options (I added some anyway) but I will say for everyday life they are nice to have.

Taking this back on topic- I was thinking this morning about this and I understand the premise of the articles title. For me, I am looking first to upgrade the suspension on the car because I feel like the brakes and engine are pretty solid from the factory and that the suspension is the weak point. That and the fact that I don't want to throw a tuner code.
      06-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #18
Qunadry
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I found the review refreshing. Too many complain that the 135i is not a 335i. Well guess what, it is not suppose to be a 335i. If you want a 335i, buy one. If you want a car that represents what BMW was and should be buy a 135i. I'm glad I did.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #19
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobile Mag
In fact, for all of the talk we once heard about the 1-series being the spiritual successor to the 2002, it's almost a dead ringer, size-wise, for the E30-chassis 3-series. The 1-series, in its taut dimensions, driving experience, and even silhouette, reminded every editor who'd ever driven a 1987-1991 E30 325i of those beloved old Bimmers. And remember - that 325i is the BMW that made BMW what it is today, a favorite not just of yuppies but also of keen car enthusiasts. It was seriously expensive ($25,135 in 1989, or about $44,000 in today's money) but also seriously quick and seriously well-built. Suddenly, the 1-series wasn't so hard to understand.
      06-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #20
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I am not sure why he was asking if it was "too much power" if he meant "is the extra power worth the money"? Obviously, there are other differences between the two cars in stock form. However, I agree that the main difference is the engine and if you have to ask if it is "too much power", it probably isn't for you.

I guess the same could be said of m3 owners when you ask why they would spend the extra money (much more than $6000) when a 335i can be completely loaded, have a lot of power, and still cost a lot less... Some people spend money for great engines....
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #21
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
My point is that an automotive journalist is usually expected to be a gear head who would never say no to a bigger engine (he's not buying, just test driving). Consumers tend to be more pragmatic since money matters.
The M3 is a good analogy. If he thinks a 135i has too much power would he even get in an M3 or would that be too darn scary?
      06-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #22
jayparry
BMW Performanceer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM '09 135i 'tii' Dinan

Garage List
DI?

Isnt there a Direct injection version of the 3.0 I6 in europe? i think we should get that as the base 130i with 250-265 HP and then do a 136i with 330 HP. That way more people would be happy with the base car and only the few extremists need to go for the 135 or whatever.
Appreciate 0