BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Calling all Photographers

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone here can help out.
I'm in the process of selling my car and need someone with that artistic flair to do a photo shoot of the car.

I'm no photographer, I think my iPhone is the best camera I have and really love seeing some of those fantastic shots that others post of their cars. You can tell when someone who knows what they're doing takes a photo.

I'd love to hear from any one in Melbourne that could help me out, PM me if it's seen as advertising or whatever.

The car is a 135i convertible and I think it looks amazing but just can't get that captured in a photo (using my iPhone!).

Regards
Ian
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

I would whip out the EOS.... But it is just too far for me Smiley, sorry mate.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Thumbs up

Smiley,

I see a lot of shots on various forums (including this one) shot with expensive gear that really don't look all that great. Conversely, even an iPhone camera can do well if you do it right.

Especially for a classifieds ad, camera quality doesn't make all that much difference, but lighting, composition and framing make all the difference.

Some tips:
1. Shoot in good light! Especially if you use your iPhone. Take photos early morning or just before sunset. You'll get the best light that your iPhone can handle.

2. Mind the reflections. Shoot somewhere where there's not too many buildings, trees, clouds, people etc. reflecting in your paint. Pictures tend to look very bad when the car looks all "splotchy".

3. Watch the background. Make sure no light poles or trees are growing out of your car's hood, roof, etc. Reposition the car or the camera if need be.

4. Stay low unless you're trying to point out specific features of the car.

5. Turn the steering wheel slightly to give a better view of the rims.

6. Crop & post process slightly. Don't go crazy on the editing as it tends to make things worse.

Some shots I've done in the past that show some of these concepts:

And don't forget the interiour:

Try it out and let's see the results.
I'd be willing to help post-process if you need to.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Yeh I'll take some shots, how bout next weekend?
Appreciate 0