BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
GeneralZod
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Question BMW Performance Suspension comfort?

Naturally, most of you with the BMW PS did not get it with comfort as the top priority. Nevertheless, I'm curious how those of you who have it would rate it for daily-driving comfort. I obviously expect it to be stiffer with more vibration transfer over stock, but hopefully better damped and not bouncy.

How would you compare to the stock ride?
Does the wife/girlfriend complain about the ride? (your most likely source of a second opinion )

thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

I would say my bmw 135i with non runflat tires and the bmw ps is more comfortable than it was with the stock suspension and the run-flats. I think the the runflats were overly stiff and the suspension was too soft to compensate. The combined effect didn't work well on the short wheel base.

I also highly rec the rear subframe bushings to get rid of the pogo bounce.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralZod
Naturally, most of you with the BMW PS did not get it with comfort as the top priority. Nevertheless, I'm curious how those of you who have it would rate it for daily-driving comfort. I obviously expect it to be stiffer with more vibration transfer over stock, but hopefully better damped and not bouncy.

How would you compare to the stock ride?
Does the wife/girlfriend complain about the ride? (your most likely source of a second opinion )

thanks
I noticed no decrease in ride comfort with PS. My car now with PS, M3 Arms, M3 rear subframe bushings, and non-RFTs rides just as smooth if not smoother than stock with RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
I would say my bmw 135i with non runflat tires and the bmw ps is more comfortable than it was with the stock suspension and the run-flats. I think the the runflats were overly stiff and the suspension was too soft to compensate. The combined effect didn't work well on the short wheel base.

I also highly rec the rear subframe bushings to get rid of the pogo bounce.
Kind of wheels/tires please ?

Last edited by Pol; 04-16-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
I noticed no decrease in ride comfort with PS. My car now with PS, M3 Arms, M3 rear subframe bushings, and non-RFTs rides just as smooth if not smoother than stock with RFTs.
What kind of wheels and tires are you running?

Last edited by Pol; 04-16-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
Here is an old review from one of the first people to have the suspension

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...nce+suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial
First off let me thank Dan for great service, prices, and great shipping rates.

I've looked around the forums and realized that there hasn't been a whole lot of feedback with regard to the BMW performance suspension kit. Thought I'd give me 2 cents worth.

I decided to go with the OEM performance setup for several reasons, most of which revolve around the "install it and forget it" design of the OEM parts. I realize that there's many cheaper and likely better options out there. But for once, I really wanted a mild, well thought out setup where the homework was already done that I could just slap on and not worry about it for 50K+ miles.

The install: Well, I actually didn't do it (for once). This is pretty much the first time which I have not done my own labor. I figured because I was buying OEM, I might as well have the dealership install it to maintain full warranty (I install it, they warranty parts not labor; they install it, they warranty parts and labor, per them). Well, I ended up getting raped somehow as they charged me 11 hours worth of labor. Not sure how this happened as they only had the car for a total of 9 hours (including the wash). Will have to give them a call tomorrow concerning the matter.

Visual impression: it looks VERY similar to how it looked before. I scoured the forums only finding 1-2 examples of cars lowered with this kit. I can safely say that the amount lowered is extremely subtle at best. My car does not seem to be nearly as low as the one pictured here in this thread (picture at the bottom). I do notice how the roof line is lower than before, but the wheel gaps look extremely similar. I even took before and after photos...I'm not even going to bother posting the before photos. I mean, maybe it's the lighting but I honestly can't tell much of a difference. Dissappointing to tell you the truth.

Handling impression: This will just be a quick impression as I have only driven the car from the dealership back to the home front. I guess this is more anecdotal than anything. I always drive with all the traction control off, leaving only the e-diff. That being said there's a slight increase in noticeable stiffness. Bumps are more prominent which, to me, translates to increased feedback. Body roll has significantly decreased, and turn in is much sharper. Taking my favorite switch back on the way home I noticed the car was able to transition very smoothly. I use to feel like I'd have to muscle the car into the second portion of the S, that there wasn't much grace within the transition. But now the car is much more well behaved, remains flat, slides and rotates on throttle. The S opens to a straightaway which then transitions into a hard off cambered left turn. The car just remains flat. Turn in is crisp, the tail comes out easily over the off cambered turn. I counter steer, feather the gas, at the tail snaps back into behavior. Overall very good improvement. I believe that the car should have behaved like this in stock form.

Finally, the pictures:
      04-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
Kind of wheels/tires please ?
stock wheels 264's

tires - michelin ps2's 225/255
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
stock wheels 264's

tires - michelin ps2's 225/255
Thanks! I have them in Ps3 on 313's. Performance suspension should be my next priority.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol
Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
What kind of wheels and tires are you running?
261s and Dunlop Star Specs
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #10
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep

I wonder if 225/255 on my summer Breyton set wouln't cause problems at the outside with the Performance Suspension. Breytons are front:7.5-18 ET45 and rear:8.5-18 ET49
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
GeneralZod
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Thanks for the discussion...
Still looking for responses to the question
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 02:49 AM   #12
milehigh135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralZod View Post
Thanks for the discussion...
Still looking for responses to the question
Disclaimer: I came from an Evo 8 with 3 different suspension setups at some point...Tein S-techs, Race-engineering swift springs and fully coilovers

I thought the stock m-sport suspension was ok until I got the Performance suspension. Stock is probably pretty good for the average person but I wanted more. BMWP is night and day from stock and I've had no complaints from any of my passengers that have experienced before and after. They say the new setup is better and I completely agree. The same bump spots on the road that would make me endo are no more. I think its more comfortable than stock.

It definitely passes the gf test. I'm not saying its the best suspension setup but its hell of a lot better than stock. Fyi I'm running the 28mm m3 front bar and 18x8.5/9.5 rims with 225/255.

hope this helps
Appreciate 0