BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
ReggieKW
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

1st brake light, bulb replacement 128i pre-LCI

I've got a burnt out break light, it's the one located separate from the cluster. I've read to turn counter-clockwise and pull, the light should come out. I can turn it about a quarter inch counter-clockwise but it stops and I can't remove it. Not sure if there are tabs or clips that need to be depressed, if anyone can shed light on this would be appreciated. Would rather not spend $70 at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
CanAm135
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'd like some insight on this too. I'm having the exact same problem on my 135i. I feel like if I try to pull any harder on it after I have turned it, it will snap off in my hands.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 05:12 PM   #3
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

OK maybe I'm slow but I have no idea which one you are talking about. Left rear, right rear, 3rd brake light or something in/near instrument cluster? Or something completely different?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
CanAm135
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
OK maybe I'm slow but I have no idea which one you are talking about. Left rear, right rear, 3rd brake light or something in/near instrument cluster? Or something completely different?
I'm not positive about ReggieKW , but I'm referring to the rear brake light bulbs that are the outermost ones on the car (farthest from the license plate area). The inner brake bulbs, turn signal bulb and reverse light bulb are all together in a separate housing that pops out quite easily. The separate outer bulb is all by itself, and you are supposed to just disconnect the wire (easy), turn the bulb holder counter clockwise (it does by about 1/4 inch), and then pull it out (I can't get that damn thing out for the life of me). Both sides have the same problem (passenger and driver side). I found a video of the bulb replacement somewhere on YouTube and it shows everything, except of course what happens between turning the bulb holder and getting the bulb out. Maybe there is some black magic spell that you cast in between, but I'm not sure. I absolutely refuse to take the car to a shop for something as trivial as a damn light bulb. If I can replace/code my own injectors and valve cover, I should be able to handle this!
Appreciate 0