BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-18-2018, 05:04 PM   #1
KGrGunMan
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i M-sport Manual

Resetting my DSC

I'm wondering if there is anyway to reset my DSC.

I was out playing in my 128 (attempting to destroy my rear tires b4 I replaced them. ) and I had a small issue that caused my rear passenger wheel camber to fubar, I diagnosed it on the side of the road and there was no damage, just a loose alignment bolt. So I drove home with my rear camber not held in place. So my camber was constantly changing with every bump on the drive home. No big deal though, made it home fine but my DSC freaked out. Now every time I start the car it warns me of a DSC malfunction and tells me DSC in inactive. Not the biggest deal as I hate stability control anyway and commonly turn it off, but it would be sweet if I could just reset it.

Would disconnecting my battery for a while clear the DSC or is there any other way to reset the DSC?
I know the battery has to be paired to the car, would disconnecting it for an hour or so un-pair the battery?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGrGunMan View Post
I'm wondering if there is anyway to reset my DSC.

I was out playing in my 128 (attempting to destroy my rear tires b4 I replaced them. ) and I had a small issue that caused my rear passenger wheel camber to fubar, I diagnosed it on the side of the road and there was no damage, just a loose alignment bolt. So I drove home with my rear camber not held in place. So my camber was constantly changing with every bump on the drive home. No big deal though, made it home fine but my DSC freaked out. Now every time I start the car it warns me of a DSC malfunction and tells me DSC in inactive. Not the biggest deal as I hate stability control anyway and commonly turn it off, but it would be sweet if I could just reset it.

Would disconnecting my battery for a while clear the DSC or is there any other way to reset the DSC?
I know the battery has to be paired to the car, would disconnecting it for an hour or so un-pair the battery?
I'd try disconnecting the battery, leave it off for a few minutes. It's a 10mm nut on the negative lead, loosen that and wiggle the cable off. The "pairing" of the battery is only for installing a brand new battery, since the car has a "smart" charging system that changes how it charges the battery as it ages.

If that doesn't clear it, I'd say you damaged a wheel speed sensor...

BTW, it really isn't a good idea to drive with loose control arms, you could damage the other ones and end up having to rebuild your entire rear suspension, not to mention that it's extremely dangerous to drive a car in that state. Also, 80 ft-lbs is the torque for the interior nuts for both the lower control arm and toe arm, I know because I do my own alignments

Good luck, I hope you find a good solution!
      03-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Appreciate 1
      03-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
KGrGunMan
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i M-sport Manual

I appreciate the torque specs and I'll try disconnecting the battery.

I could take pictures but there's nothing to take pictures of, it was a lose bolt, I checked everything and I can't find any damage...unless you just want pictures of destroyed tires.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10504.50
      03-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGrGunMan View Post
I appreciate the torque specs and I'll try disconnecting the battery.

I could take pictures but there's nothing to take pictures of, it was a lose bolt, I checked everything and I can't find any damage...unless you just want pictures of destroyed tires.
Those work!