BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #1
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

1/2 cover for convertible

It looks the 128 convertible is going to have to start living outside as the 2 nicer cars need to stay in the garage. I'm looking for either a full cover or preferably a 1/2 cover to go over the top and windows. That would at least keep the top out of direct sunlight.

You e88 owners have any recommendations for either? I'd rather sacrifice the car cover than have to replace the top.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

I am also interested. I had one on my Saturn Sky Redline and really liked it.

03-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds350 View Post
It looks the 128 convertible is going to have to start living outside as the 2 nicer cars need to stay in the garage. I'm looking for either a full cover or preferably a 1/2 cover to go over the top and windows. That would at least keep the top out of direct sunlight.

You e88 owners have any recommendations for either? I'd rather sacrifice the car cover than have to replace the top.
335i owner here.

If it's getting parked outside, just get a full cover for it. You'd be surprised on how well a full cover will better protect your car from other cars from hitting yours, even if your keeping it in your own driveway.

I am currently looking at getting my car painted because of family and strangers who hit it, bump into it, etc...

I'm getting a cover for mine this time around. I'd recommend the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #4
olds350
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
335i owner here.

If it's getting parked outside, just get a full cover for it. You'd be surprised on how well a full cover will better protect your car from other cars from hitting yours, even if your keeping it in your own driveway.

I am currently looking at getting my car painted because of family and strangers who hit it, bump into it, etc...

I'm getting a cover for mine this time around. I'd recommend the same.
The one main problem I see with a full cover is having to work around the rear radio antenna that's on these convertibles, not built in like the e82 and I'm not aware of an easy way to remove it. I'd either need a custom cover with a pre made hole or make one in a generic cover. I know the full cover would protect better, but the half cover would be the simpler option.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #5
olds350
United_States
Rep

I just came across this for California "pop top" and it's the 1/2 or top car cover. Wonky website, but I like the way this installs. This is basically a tyvek material cover and it runs for ~80 bucks. You can see the install video here..

http://www.capoptop.com/installation.htm

It says to order a small for the 128. I can be the guinea pig here and order and report back. I like this because it doesn't use any fender straps, uses the mirrors and wipers to hold the front and a cord that goes around the trunk seam. One I haven't seen is anything about a warranty. I've just sent them an email asking about service life on the cover. I'll let you know what they say. Based on their reply, I'll purchase the cover.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds350 View Post
I just came across this for California "pop top" and it's the 1/2 or top car cover. Wonky website, but I like the way this installs. This is basically a tyvek material cover and it runs for ~80 bucks. You can see the install video here..

http://www.capoptop.com/installation.htm

It says to order a small for the 128. I can be the guinea pig here and order and report back. I like this because it doesn't use any fender straps, uses the mirrors and wipers to hold the front and a cord that goes around the trunk seam. One I haven't seen is anything about a warranty. I've just sent them an email asking about service life on the cover. I'll let you know what they say. Based on their reply, I'll purchase the cover.
Thanks, I had forgotten where I got mine. It worked great on the Saturn.
      03-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
olds350
United_States
Rep

I received a reply from the poptop folks and they showed me on the site where they offer a 2 year warranty on the cover, so I'd say that's decent. I'm going to pull the trigger on this and I'll let you guys know how it works and fits. Stay tuned...

EDIT: I ordered the cover this morning and I just received an email about the shipping notice. Gotta say that's a pretty damn quick turn around. Like I said, I'll give an update when I receive this cover...

Last edited by olds350; 03-19-2018 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #8
olds350
United_States
Rep

OK, so a very quick review of the California PopTop 1/2 cover. It's a single layer Tyvek covering, but looks to be well stitched with double stitching. Small and light weight, it takes no time to install it. Watch the install video on the website, but it's just like they say. BTW, I have to say this arrived in no time, 3 days from cali. As I had mentioned, their website is a little weird, but for the 1 series, you'll want a small cover. ~80 bucks gets it shipped to your door.

Installing is very easy, starting with the drivers mirror, slip the black cord under the mirror and follow that by the mirror pocket. Go to the passenger side and slip over the mirror pocket. From there, just roll the cover towards the back, slip the cords into the trunk/fender seam and tighten it up. Use the spring lock to push up against the "J" clip that goes under the trunk lip and you're done.

After that, go to the front and put the windshield wipers over the lower section of the cover and you're done. Of all the other 1/2 covers I saw, this is the only that doesn't have the 4 corner straps where you have to hook it to the wheels. Just the pull cords and clip it under the trunk, done.

So far I'm a fan of this simple cover. I can see where you might want to consider some plastic edging to put on possible rub areas, but I don't think it's going to move that much. I'll keep an eye on it.

Here's a few pics. First off, this is what comes in the box, the cover and some documentation, pretty standard stuff...

So here's one of the reasons I bought this cover.... you'll notice the quality shower caps covering the shop towels covering the mirrors. Damn birds love to look at themselves and crap all over the car. I was tired of having to wash it off every day, so the towels helped some. With the cover, no shiny surfaces to gaze in.

here's a few shots with the cover on, like I said, very easy to install...

And here's one of the simple clip...

That's it boys and girls. Right now I give this a thumbs up for it's ease of install and light weight. This does come with a 2 year warranty, so you have that to work with if you have issues.

Let me know what you think...

Oh, one last thing. This does come with a "pocket", so after you roll it up, it fits into it's own case and keeps it stored nicely. Thumbs up to that as well...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Nice! I like the way it fits. It is very likely to stay on. My Saturn Sky one was a single layer of Tyvek as well, and durable.
      03-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #10
coopaw
Rep
Drives: 2011 328x1 & 2013 135i vert

I cover mine in the winter as it sits in the garage and I just want to keep the dust off and I have a full cover from Costco that cost a whopping $29 if I remember correctly. I've seen them there still.

Regarding the antenna on the vert., it just unscrews from the base, I just throw it in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #11
olds350
United_States
Rep

Took the 128 out for lunch today and it was just too nice not to have the top down. I have a meeting this evening and wanted to leave the top down, so I put on the 1/2 cover. Gotta say it works well even with the top down.

Having used this for about a month now, I'm pretty impressed on how much heat it keeps out of the car, that white is a great reflector. This is very easy to install and remove. If you've thought about one of these 1/2 tops, I'd recommend this one. While it's not a custom fit, it does a great job of keeping the sun off of the top. Once I finish my trailer though, I think this is going back into the garage for better protection.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #12
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Thanks for the heads up. That looks like something i should get for the 323Ci we bought for our daughter. The interior is immaculate for 18 years old and it is parked in the driveway almost all the time since she has only a permit.