BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Spotify, BMW, and BMW ConnectedDrive with Androids

Does anyone have any news on if this will ever actually work? It seems absurd to me that in the year 2016 with my 2013 car I cannot get a simple radio app to be fully functional via any channel... Bluetooth isn't reliable and never displays all the info, Aux is aux, and the USB has zero compatibility between Spotify and Android devices!

05-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
phierce
Private
Rep
Drives: 135

Get a aux Bluetooth and problems solved
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #3
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

I don't know. I've been using blutooth to stream spotify from my phone(s) since I got my car and I haven't had any issues with it so far.

New Car: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS | Stock for now
Old Car: 2013 BMW 128i | 6MT | BMW Performance Grills | CDV Delete | SSK | Performance Exhaust | M3 RSFB | TCKR DA

Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phierce View Post
Get a aux Bluetooth and problems solved
Problems not solved at all becuase:
  1. I have a car with bluetooth and nav already
  2. I shouldn't have to pay for more equipment
  3. An Aux BT adapter won't allow me to use car controls
  4. An Aux BT Adapter won't display song info on car's display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fume View Post
I don't know. I've been using blutooth to stream spotify from my phone(s) since I got my car and I haven't had any issues with it so far.
I had less issues with my last phone (Note 4) but since I got my new one (S7 Edge) it hasn't once displayed song info and it connects maybe 50% of the time.
      05-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
phierce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post

I had less issues with my last phone (Note 4) but since I got my new one (S7 Edge) it hasn't once displayed song info and it connects maybe 50% of the time.
First world problems... I use phone or BT device to control songs also I use my phone as GPS with Waze I prefer it to any built in nav as I need speed trap info and traffic speed up ahead
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #6
phierce
Private
Rep

15 bucks http://s.aliexpress.com/VNBRBr22
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 11:45 PM   #7
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Have you tried updating the software for the bluetooth? Might help...

Sometimes when our phones update it causes glitches with the Bluetooth connectivity, so Bmw periodically comes out with updates that you can load yourself

It's pretty simple, go to www.bmw.com/update and put in the last 7 of your vin, download the software to a USB drive (must be otherwise empty). Insert the drive with the software to the USB slot under the armrest. Next start the car, bring up the settings menu all the way at the bottom. The last tab at the bottom should say software update, just click that and follow the instructions
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 08:37 AM   #8
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phierce View Post
First world problems... I use phone or BT device to control songs also I use my phone as GPS with Waze I prefer it to any built in nav as I need speed trap info and traffic speed up ahead
1st world problems for sure! But it's still frustrating as all hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Have you tried updating the software for the bluetooth? Might help...

Sometimes when our phones update it causes glitches with the Bluetooth connectivity, so Bmw periodically comes out with updates that you can load yourself

It's pretty simple, go to www.bmw.com/update and put in the last 7 of your vin, download the software to a USB drive (must be otherwise empty). Insert the drive with the software to the USB slot under the armrest. Next start the car, bring up the settings menu all the way at the bottom. The last tab at the bottom should say software update, just click that and follow the instructions
I'll give this a shot, I've only updated my Nav I think, so doing this definitely may help.
      05-18-2016, 12:40 AM   #9
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

When I had bluetooth-to-car music streaming issues it was because I had an older phone with crappy bluetooth radio, apparently. Got a Droid Turbo 2 and all of my bluetooth glitchyness is gone. Maybe try out someone else's phone?
      05-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #10
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1er View Post
When I had bluetooth-to-car music streaming issues it was because I had an older phone with crappy bluetooth radio, apparently. Got a Droid Turbo 2 and all of my bluetooth glitchyness is gone. Maybe try out someone else's phone?
I've tried a few:

Note 4
iPhone 5s
iPhone 6s
Galaxy S7 Edge

All have issues. I still haven't gotten to update my car's firmware yet, might try to do that during work actually.
      05-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #11
Hankdoll
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2/M3/4/5

Quote:
I've tried a few:

Note 4
iPhone 5s
iPhone 6s
Galaxy S7 Edge

All have issues. I still haven't gotten to update my car's firmware yet, might try to do that during work actually.
My spotify/bluetooth connectivity works perfect on my Note 3. Wonder why the Note 4 would be different.

I also hooked up to Spotify through connecteddrive just to give it a try. I have an old deactivated Iphone 5 with the connected app plugged in the AUX (and using my Note 3 as a hotpot). It's a lot of work to get it initialized and isn't any better feature-wise than straight bluetooth. Hopefully you can get your bluetooth working.
      05-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #12
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Quote:

This should address all of your problems (except having to pay for more equipment).

http://www.amazon.com/ViseeO-Tune2Ai.../dp/B00R3ABHXY

It displays song info, allows use of steering wheel controls, etc. It automatically connects each time you get in the car. Pauses song when car is turned off and resumes song when turned back on. It's really a great piece of equipment. You must have the AUX and USB ports next to each other in the center console though. See picture below.

🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #13
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful View Post
This should address all of your problems (except having to pay for more equipment).

http://www.amazon.com/ViseeO-Tune2Ai.../dp/B00R3ABHXY

It displays song info, allows use of steering wheel controls, etc. It automatically connects each time you get in the car. Pauses song when car is turned off and resumes song when turned back on. It's really a great piece of equipment. You must have the AUX and USB ports next to each other in the center console though. See picture below.

Will it work with Nav? And will the phone work with this as well?
      05-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #14
Kev!n
master of my domain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

I'll second suspenceful's suggestion. I have the tune2air and it works great.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #15
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Will it work with Nav? And will the phone work with this as well?
What do you mean by "work with nav"? I don't use my in-car navigation at all. I use Google Maps on my phone. It announces directions through the car speakers from my phone app while music is playing.

I don't have the phone feature for my car, but I've read that it automatically switches over when someone calls. Then when you end the call, it automatically switches back to the music.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #16
Kev!n
master of my domain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
What do you mean by "work with nav"? I don't use my in-car navigation at all. I use Google Maps on my phone. It announces directions through the car speakers from my phone app while music is playing.

I don't have the phone feature for my car, but I've read that it automatically switches over when someone calls. Then when you end the call, it automatically switches back to the music.
I do not have nav but it does work as described above when using Waze or Google Maps. I have the phone feature in my car and it does switch over.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #17
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev!n View Post
I do not have nav but it does work as described above when using Waze or Google Maps. I have the phone feature in my car and it does switch over.
I didn't mean nav in that sense, just meant will it display song info on the screen if you have the navigation system, since the screen is different from the normal radio screen.
      05-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #18
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev!n View Post
I didn't mean nav in that sense, just meant will it display song info on the screen if you have the navigation system, since the screen is different from the normal radio screen.
Gotcha. I can't answer that because I have the old 2008 iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 02:44 AM   #19
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Do you have the 6NR option? Apps, I think it is called. Do you have a rooted Android phone, Cyanogenmod or other modified SW?

Have a look here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/bmw...roduction.html

It is possible that not all of the stuff is available for CIC iDrive. It's kinda complicated and there have been numerous changes/ updates for the ConnectedDrive services.

I have got all of the ConnectedDrive options in the car, so I can try it for you (I never use them).
      05-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #20
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Do you have the 6NR option? Apps, I think it is called. Do you have a rooted Android phone, Cyanogenmod or other modified SW?

Have a look here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/bmw...roduction.html

It is possible that not all of the stuff is available for CIC iDrive. It's kinda complicated and there have been numerous changes/ updates for the ConnectedDrive services.

I have got all of the ConnectedDrive options in the car, so I can try it for you (I never use them).
I do have the 6NR option, and I tried it with ConnectedDrive, it was even more limited than the regular BT connection since it doesn't support spotify at all.

My phone isn't rooted or anything, what kind of difference will that make?

I just looked at the link you sent me and I see a spotify app listed with compatibility for Android, is that accurate? I've been reading that spotify is only supported as an app on iOS devices. Is it just that my firmware is super out of date potentially?
      05-19-2016, 09:16 PM   #21
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Not sure what the 6NR option is, I do have the adapter in my center console. My early 2012 (2011 build) with nav works with Pandora and Spotify perfectly with my galaxy 5s

I don't get album art or anything, but I do get artist, album, and song information on the CID display, and the ability to skip via the steering wheel down button, arrow buttons on the dash, or I drive. Also the bluetooth works flawlessly

I'm a tech, and usually any bluetooth complaint we get the first step to try is updating the firmware and erasing/re-pairing the phone... nine times out of ten it takes care of the issue, I still think that's your problem
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #22
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

I've never been able to get any of my Android phones (S5 or S6) to work with the BMW connected apps.

What will work 100% but again will require additional hardware and a pain in the butt install is the Bimmertech Rear View Camera retrofit and their SmartView module. You might be able to get them to sell just the multimedia box without the rear view camera if you're just interested in doing only the smart phone integration.

What this system will allow you to do is stream video AND audio through WiFi into the car's system on both the nav screen and audio system. As an example, I use Waze and Google Maps all the time. Once my smart phone is paired up with SmartView, I hold down the Menu button on the iDrive controller panel and the nav screen switches over to display the video output of my smart phone. I have the setup configured for picture in picture where the main screen shows the video of my smart phone and the smaller screen on the right displays what ever I choose from iDrive. In this case, I have it set to display what is playing audio wise. But I can set it to display the trip computer for example.

While I don't stream music through online services, I have tested other sources such as video stored on my phone to testing Skype and Slingbox. Disclaimer....I said test.

It's a costly solution to go with this option but I couldn't be happier with it. I don't have to worry about firmware updates and the other mess of getting proper integration with iDrive. I also like the flexibility of displaying stuff which BMW doesn't support natively or probably never will.

I have a thread on my install experience with the Bimmertech retrofit in the connected sub forum here.
Appreciate 0