BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #23
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I've never been able to get any of my Android phones (S5 or S6) to work with the BMW connected apps.

What will work 100% but again will require additional hardware and a pain in the butt install is the Bimmertech Rear View Camera retrofit and their SmartView module. You might be able to get them to sell just the multimedia box without the rear view camera if you're just interested in doing only the smart phone integration.

What this system will allow you to do is stream video AND audio through WiFi into the car's system on both the nav screen and audio system. As an example, I use Waze and Google Maps all the time. Once my smart phone is paired up with SmartView, I hold down the Menu button on the iDrive controller panel and the nav screen switches over to display the video output of my smart phone. I have the setup configured for picture in picture where the main screen shows the video of my smart phone and the smaller screen on the right displays what ever I choose from iDrive. In this case, I have it set to display what is playing audio wise. But I can set it to display the trip computer for example.

While I don't stream music through online services, I have tested other sources such as video stored on my phone to testing Skype and Slingbox. Disclaimer....I said test.

It's a costly solution to go with this option but I couldn't be happier with it. I don't have to worry about firmware updates and the other mess of getting proper integration with iDrive. I also like the flexibility of displaying stuff which BMW doesn't support natively or probably never will.

I have a thread on my install experience with the Bimmertech retrofit in the connected sub forum here.
That sounds awesome but for ~$1000 definitely not worth it for me...
      05-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #24
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
That sounds awesome but for ~$1000 definitely not worth it for me...
It's not a $1000. It's a few hundred less. And if they allow you to buy just the multimedia box with the SmartView module, you can shave off about $150 off of that price too. Especially if you catch Bimmertech running some of their sales.

There are other companies which sell similar systems. I don't remember who they are off the top of my head as only did research into this when I was deciding on who I would go with. You can probably make out even cheaper going with the other companies. But I stuck with Bimmertech as I wanted to also have decent customer support if I had any issues.

If you're going to keep your car for a while, I think the cost is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #25
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not a $1000. It's a few hundred less. And if they allow you to buy just the multimedia box with the SmartView module, you can shave off about $150 off of that price too. Especially if you catch Bimmertech running some of their sales.

There are other companies which sell similar systems. I don't remember who they are off the top of my head as only did research into this when I was deciding on who I would go with. You can probably make out even cheaper going with the other companies. But I stuck with Bimmertech as I wanted to also have decent customer support if I had any issues.

If you're going to keep your car for a while, I think the cost is worth it.
I see that now, odd that they have the "Starting at $959" thing on the home page.

Other issue is I'm 99% sure this would void my warranty.
      05-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #26
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I see that now, odd that they have the "Starting at $959" thing on the home page.

Other issue is I'm 99% sure this would void my warranty.
Nope. Depends on your dealer but the dealer I've been working with was 100% cool with it.

The tech working on my car knew something was up when he saw the back up camera video pop up on my nav screen. He even had to drop the panel under the steering wheel to do a hood release cable swap under warranty. He noticed the SmartView module there. He had to disconnect the SmartView box to get the panel out of the way for access. He didn't throw up any flags about it and in fact we chatted a little about what I did. After he got the cable swapped out, he hooked everything back up the way it was and sent me out the door.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #27
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope. Depends on your dealer but the dealer I've been working with was 100% cool with it.

The tech working on my car knew something was up when he saw the back up camera video pop up on my nav screen. He even had to drop the panel under the steering wheel to do a hood release cable swap under warranty. He noticed the SmartView module there. He had to disconnect the SmartView box to get the panel out of the way for access. He didn't throw up any flags about it and in fact we chatted a little about what I did. After he got the cable swapped out, he hooked everything back up the way it was and sent me out the door.
Aftermarket warranty, not BMW
      05-20-2016, 11:38 PM   #28
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Aftermarket warranty, not BMW
I still don't think it's a big deal. But it's up to you. The dealer or who ever you work with at an independent shop have a lot of influence on how the claims process goes with any third party warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #29
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I still don't think it's a big deal. But it's up to you. The dealer or who ever you work with at an independent shop have a lot of influence on how the claims process goes with any third party warranty.
How well hidden is it?
      05-23-2016, 01:55 PM   #30
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
I didn't mean nav in that sense, just meant will it display song info on the screen if you have the navigation system, since the screen is different from the normal radio screen.
not sure if you ever found your answer but YES!, the tune2air WILL display song info on iDrive. Now there is a caveat to me saying that... it's not perfect. Sometimes it will show me the song ready to play from apple music (I have an iPhone BTW) when I have Spotify playing but usually this is fixed by either unplugging the USB and plugging it back in or changing source and changing it back. It's not 100% perfect, but it does 98% of all the things a built in bluetooth would do. It also works seamlessly with the BMW BT carphone and switches between music being played and car phone without issue. In fact, I would say it's slightly better to use than the bluetooth in my 2015 range rover that has BT audio from the factory.

Other notes: I tend to turn on Waze as a background app and use the BMW nav for directions. Mainly because I can use the iDrive Nav screen for the directions but get the notifications from Waze via the speakers while listening to music (also displayed on the iDrive in split-screen view) and seeing the JB4 gauges via the JB4Mobile App.

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #31
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I updated the software for my car to the latest version and gave it another go. No dice.

I can't even get my car to recognize that the phone is connected to the USB... Super effing frustrating.
      06-02-2016, 08:06 PM   #32
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Did you try just using bluetooth? My phone doesn't really work with the USB either... I should have mentioned that. I plug my phone into my charger and use bluetooth audio. Pandora and Spotify work seamlessly, only thing I don't get is album art on the screen
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #33
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Did you try just using bluetooth? My phone doesn't really work with the USB either... I should have mentioned that. I plug my phone into my charger and use bluetooth audio. Pandora and Spotify work seamlessly, only thing I don't get is album art on the screen
Yeah seems to be showing song info now that it has the latest update. So that's good progress haha. Sadly the connection is still shitty though. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it connects and then drops out.

Eh, about done with this project. Blows my mind that the gf's older and cheaper Mazda 3 works so much better than my car's bluetooth. Hope BMW has gotten their shit together with the newer generations.
      06-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #34
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
How well hidden is it?
Just realized you asked this question. Didn't see it till now.

If you go back to my other thread, you'll see pictures of the MMI box installed next to the steering column. The SmartView box was just taped on top of the cover panel below the dash. That's the best place I could find for now.

As I said before, when the dealer tech was working on my car to fix the hood release cable, he had to disconnect the SmartView box to gain better access. He didn't give me any lip about it and we actually chatted about the system for a few minutes. When I got my car back, the tech had reconnected the SmartView box and sent me on my way.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #35
Cmoney135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Yeah seems to be showing song info now that it has the latest update. So that's good progress haha. Sadly the connection is still shitty though. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it connects and then drops out.

Eh, about done with this project. Blows my mind that the gf's older and cheaper Mazda 3 works so much better than my car's bluetooth. Hope BMW has gotten their shit together with the newer generations.
Hey I just bought the tune2air because I'm tired of the same problems as you. It is arriving today I will let you know if it's worth it or not.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #36
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoney135i View Post
Hey I just bought the tune2air because I'm tired of the same problems as you. It is arriving today I will let you know if it's worth it or not.
Any updates? Definitely curious!
      07-03-2016, 05:24 PM   #37
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
With and android device, it will work however, you won't be able to see what song is being played on idrive and you won't be able to control the forward/back song selection wheel buttons. With iPhone you MUST have a couple songs in your iTunes music app if you want to control another app like Spotify or Pandora.

It's not perfect, but tune2air is the best cheap option you can get that doesn't require any extra work minus plugging in something.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 04:32 PM   #38
Cmoney135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well worth it.... Mine doesn't show album art but that is a small price to pay for spotify to work with my steering wheel controls which was MY main concern. It auto connects as soon as you unlock your car, then once you start the car the music will start playing and also stop when you turn off the car.

It will also pause and play the music when you get a phone call. Best $50 I've ever spent on my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #39
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well worth it.... Mine doesn't show album art but that is a small price to pay for spotify to work with my steering wheel controls which was MY main concern. It auto connects as soon as you unlock your car, then once you start the car the music will start playing and also stop when you turn off the car.

It will also pause and play the music when you get a phone call. Best $50 I've ever spent on my car.
Awesome, how's the sound quality? And you still get song info right?
      07-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #40
Cmoney135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, how's the sound quality? And you still get song info right?
What do you mean song info?

I have an 09 135i so I think our idrives are a bit different. The only info mine displays is where the music is coming from (technically via USB) , the time, my cell phones current amount of bars (as in 4g connection) and that's it.

I have a huge playlist on Spotify and hit shuffle in my car then I'm good to go, control everything else from my car. Sound quality is very good btw.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #41
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean song info?

I have an 09 135i so I think our idrives are a bit different. The only info mine displays is where the music is coming from (technically via USB) , the time, my cell phones current amount of bars (as in 4g connection) and that's it.

I have a huge playlist on Spotify and hit shuffle in my car then I'm good to go, control everything else from my car. Sound quality is very good btw.
Ahh ok wasn't aware of that. Mine (when it works) displays song title, album, artist, and play time of track.
      05-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #42
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Reviving this thread as I tried to play Spotify through USB today.

"On Android operating systems, the Spotify integration currently only works with the new 2016 BMW 7 Series." http://support.spotify.com/us/listen...w-integration/

No wonder it doesn't work then... I can play Spotify via BT and use the in-car controls but it doesn't show album covers which is a bit of a bummer. But more importantly, the quality sucks compared to USB flash drive. Others are saying that the quality is even worse when using USB phone cable & BMW ConnectedDrive app, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #43
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Reviving this thread as I tried to play Spotify through USB today.

"On Android operating systems, the Spotify integration currently only works with the new 2016 BMW 7 Series." http://support.spotify.com/us/listen...w-integration/

No wonder it doesn't work then... I can play Spotify via BT and use the in-car controls but it doesn't show album covers which is a bit of a bummer. But more importantly, the quality sucks compared to USB flash drive. Others are saying that the quality is even worse when using USB phone cable & BMW ConnectedDrive app, though.
Yeah, it's pretty shitty that they didn't think to accommodate Android users.
      03-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #44
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Thinking of picking up an android phone. Just curious if anyone knows if spotify or any of the other apps work with a 1 series? I have a 2013 135is.

My iPhone 5S works fine with it but I was offered a S9+ for free... so I am thinking of changing over before the next iPhone. But, this is kind of a thing for me. I do listen to music in the car from the phone 100% of the time and I prefer the wired connection with ability to thumbs up and down, search, etc.
Appreciate 0