BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #23
J1Coupe
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Msport 6MT

3 stage intake manifold and 130i baseline tune

The reason for this posting really is to state that I went ahead and installed the 3 stage intake manifold this weekend in the car!!! The difficulty of this job is correct at a 4/10. Just a lot of removal but overall nothing complicated. I did run into a confusion when I compared both intakes and saw the old pick up can or what not located on the 3stage. I think I wasted 30 min trying to figure out what to do with it till I chucked it into the garbage. Unfortunately, the original hose I used. Had to plug the second connection on the hose that isn't used any more, hope oil doesn't sump up there :x

Replaced flywheel and clutch 2 months back due to ticking and vibrations as well as some basic seals on it that I just felt like I needed to do while I was in there

Now I have a clean smooth running car, just need to put the BimmerLabs Baseline 130I tune to the car, for the time being, while I finish purchasing bits before getting the BPC tune.

I saw a thread on this baseline tune but I don't really understand what people mean by just flash and upload the tune. is there a software I need to download on my laptop to upload it? does the connection show on the computer? can anyone explain what is the correct process for a beginner like me?

Thanks
      03-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #24
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Coupe View Post
The reason for this posting really is to state that I went ahead and installed the 3 stage intake manifold this weekend in the car!!! The difficulty of this job is correct at a 4/10. Just a lot of removal but overall nothing complicated. I did run into a confusion when I compared both intakes and saw the old pick up can or what not located on the 3stage. I think I wasted 30 min trying to figure out what to do with it till I chucked it into the garbage. Unfortunately, the original hose I used. Had to plug the second connection on the hose that isn't used any more, hope oil doesn't sump up there :x

Replaced flywheel and clutch 2 months back due to ticking and vibrations as well as some basic seals on it that I just felt like I needed to do while I was in there

Now I have a clean smooth running car, just need to put the BimmerLabs Baseline 130I tune to the car, for the time being, while I finish purchasing bits before getting the BPC tune.

I saw a thread on this baseline tune but I don't really understand what people mean by just flash and upload the tune. is there a software I need to download on my laptop to upload it? does the connection show on the computer? can anyone explain what is the correct process for a beginner like me?

Thanks
Congrats! The manifold makes a huge difference, when tuned right. If I were to do it again, I'd get the Bimmer Performance Center tune, mostly for the customization available, and that it's still a WIP, and they're getting huge gains (and more importantly, experience) with the N52 motor. I've also heard great things about the BimmerLabs 130i tune (guaranteed 130i performance), mostly the bang-per-buck aspect...

Anyways, I have a tune from Turner Motorsport (same as Active Autowerke) that I flashed myself. The process on that was extremely simple; install drivers, install software, plug cable into computer, plug cable into car, turn on ignition, launch software, follow instructions, get base tune, email to Turner, wait, get new tune, launch software, and flash. It was very easy, once I realized that the instructions know all things...

Once you get an exhaust done, and install some cat-less headers (if legally acceptable in your area, of course), BPC has a cool thing you can add to your tune from them, burbles. Basically injecting fuel to be ignited outside the combustion chamber, creating some insane noises with that otherwise quiet engine...