BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-31-2018, 10:02 AM   #23
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Good, I am not the youngest one here.

You must be rich for a 17yo, though, with that car and the mods. Across the pond here, almost no one can even afford a car in high school/ college.
Appreciate 3
      01-31-2018, 11:24 AM   #24
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
Might have driven a 2004 F-150 in my dad's lap at about 5. Drove my dad's 1998 540i 6-Speed Sport at 8 (I think). I also was in a go-karting league before the place closed a few years back. I was started early...
Your dad sounds nice...

My dad wouldn't let me drive so I stole his car when I was 12 years old and took it out on my own. Was there ever hell to pay for that bit of mischief. First of many car thefts when I was a youngster. That's how I learned how to drive.

Loved driving and cars from the start. Didn't own a car till I was 18. A "slightly used" '68 VW Bug with 53hp. First thing I did was put an aftermarket exhaust on it. Man, that car was fun! What a rocket ship! Haha

I was a real little devil when I was a kid. lol My life totally changed when I met my wife and got married at age 20.
That sounds exciting! I wouldn't make it to 18 if I stole anything...
When I look back sometimes I wonder how I made it myself. I must've had 9 lives like a cat and probably used them all but 1. Like I said, my wife changed my life and made me see the error of my ways. A good woman will do that to you.
      01-31-2018, 11:25 AM   #25
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Good, I am not the youngest one here.

You must be rich for a 17yo, though, with that car and the mods. Across the pond here, almost no one can even afford a car in high school/ college.
The car had 159k miles on it, was a base model, and had nothing interesting done to it. I got it for $7200 out the door, including registration fees and the dealer's processing fee. And, as I've mentioned, I work off all of the mods by doing labor around my house, and earn what I save them in hiring someone in car parts (I've done a scientific crap ton). Also, my car has never been to a mechanic (except that one alignment they did wrong, and I did better) so I save in those areas as well, and I also do the majority of maintenance and car washing on their cars, since dad spends loads of time at work.

Maybe I'm just being too modest, and don't realize my situation; I just hate being in-your-face about stuff.

Oh, yeah, getting a car in your teens is WAY easier and cheaper here in America than in other parts of the world, at least from what I've researched and read about. Also, it's kind of a necessity with our spread-out suburbs and just how far away everything is from everything else compared to (assuming here) European towns.
      01-31-2018, 11:27 AM   #26
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
When I look back sometimes I wonder how I made it myself. I must've had 9 lives like a cat and probably used them all but 1. Like I said, my wife changed my life and made me see the error of my ways. A good woman will do that to you.
I've heard that from a lot of different people I know that are married! Isn't it a saying, "Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn"
      01-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #27
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The car had 159k miles on it, was a base model, and had nothing interesting done to it. I got it for $7200 out the door, including registration fees and the dealer's processing fee. And, as I've mentioned, I work off all of the mods by doing labor around my house, and earn what I save them in hiring someone in car parts (I've done a scientific crap ton). Also, my car has never been to a mechanic (except that one alignment they did wrong, and I did better) so I save in those areas as well, and I also do the majority of maintenance and car washing on their cars, since dad spends loads of time at work.

Maybe I'm just being too modest, and don't realize my situation; I just hate being in-your-face about stuff.

Oh, yeah, getting a car in your teens is WAY easier and cheaper here in America than in other parts of the world, at least from what I've researched and read about. Also, it's kind of a necessity with our spread-out suburbs and just how far away everything is from everything else compared to (assuming here) European towns.
Oh, fair enough. That's great. Keep up the work. I got lucky too that I am able to enjoy the 1er at my age (still healthy and able to work the clutch pedal, sorry Esteban ) and before manual rwd bmws are no more a thing.

Yeah, that was my point. I guess here in Europe it's far easier to get by public transport, at least where I have been to and where I have lived.
      01-31-2018, 12:46 PM   #28
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Oh, fair enough. That's great. Keep up the work. I got lucky too that I am able to enjoy the 1er at my age (still healthy and able to work the clutch pedal, sorry Esteban ) and before manual rwd bmws are no more a thing.

Yeah, that was my point. I guess here in Europe it's far easier to get by public transport, at least where I have been to and where I have lived.
Thanks, buddy.

Also, it seems like an unwritten law here in the US that everyone has to have a car starting at age 16 or 17. Although I wanted one at that age (couldn't afford one till I was 18), but I'm a car enthusiast and not everyone shares my passion.
      01-31-2018, 05:09 PM   #29
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Just finished the BMW SSK install, along with rebuilding the shifter assembly and installing E46 M3 transmission mounts.

It just clicks into gear, the gears are all in the right place all of the time, and there's no play in it at all. I'm in love all over again! I'll have some pictures tomorrow afternoon when it's not dark outside...
      02-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #30
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Nice job on the shifter. I pulled mine apart yesterday to check the bushings/arm and everything looks brand new. Was trying to justify a SSK but oh well lol.
      02-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #31
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Nice job on the shifter. I pulled mine apart yesterday to check the bushings/arm and everything looks brand new. Was trying to justify a SSK but oh well lol.
I think the bushings made the biggest difference, the shifter just shortened the throws and made me hate not having a weighted knob (more effort to shift).
      02-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #32
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
I have video, but no photos yet...

Matticus913466.00
      02-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #33
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

How are you doing this to us lol
      02-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #34
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How are you doing this to us lol
I was already "yelled" at for the vertical orientation! At least the sound isn't too bad, coming from an iPhone...
      02-01-2018, 07:20 PM   #35
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think the bushings made the biggest difference, the shifter just shortened the throws and made me hate not having a weighted knob (more effort to shift).
I actually have a weighted shifter for sale, here's the eBay listing. If you're interested let me know. You can have it cheap if you pick it up!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-BMW...d/263467393154

Quote:
I was already "yelled" at for the vertical orientation! At least the sound isn't too bad, coming from an iPhone...
Lol!
      02-02-2018, 07:55 AM   #36
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
I just realized that the E92 cars got oil temperature gauges in their instrument clusters... next interior mod?
Matticus913466.00
      02-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #37
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I just realized that the E92 cars got oil temperature gauges in their instrument clusters... next interior mod?
135i too.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #38
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
135i too.
Really? I had thought it was water temp...

Even more options! Now, how would I go about swapping it? I've looked on all the related forums about this, and I couldn't decipher what people were saying...
      02-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #39
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Quote:

The kid is an old soul. Not many teenagers are interested in cars anymore, let alone working on them. Neither of my sons displays even a slightest interest in motoring... they are in their twenties, have great jobs and could afford better cars that I can... and yet....

Anyway, I had a neighbor some years ago who's son bought himself a beat-up GTI and was so persistent at fixing it up and making it look good... while going to school and working shitty jobs in the evening.
I don't know how many times I lent him my tools, some of them I never got back and never asked for. He was always ready to give me a hand when my garage door was open and whatever I was driving at the moment was up on jackstands.

I love my kids to death but I wish sometimes they were more like me and actually knew what the difference between a screw and a bolt is, lol.

Chris_flies, keep up the good work man, we need more people like you or else we will be all extinct before we know it and whoever is left will have not a single drop of petrol left in their blood.
Appreciate 2
      02-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #40
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post
The kid is an old soul. Not many teenagers are interested in cars anymore, let alone working on them. Neither of my sons displays even a slightest interest in motoring... they are in their twenties, have great jobs and could afford better cars that I can... and yet....

Anyway, I had a neighbor some years ago who's son bought himself a beat-up GTI and was so persistent at fixing it up and making it look good... while going to school and working shitty jobs in the evening.

I don't know how many times I lent him my tools, some of them I never got back and never asked for. He was always ready to give me a hand when my garage door was open and whatever I was driving at the moment was up on jackstands.

I love my kids to death but I wish sometimes they were more like me and actually knew what the difference between a screw and a bolt is, lol.

Chris_flies, keep up the good work man, we need more people like you or else we will be all extinct before we know it and whoever is left will have not a single drop of petrol left in their blood.
Hey, thanks, man! I kinda got my cousin, who's a year younger than me, his first real taste of working on cars, he helped me install one of my camber plates over the holiday season. It was fun and frustrating, but in the same way it was for my father when I was "helping" him working on his '98 540i/6...
      02-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #41
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
I got a good look at the damage today, the bumper is well-gashed and will likely need replacing. The inner fender liner was crumpled, and it looked like the little cover for the fuel vapor filter was damaged (screws appeared bent, and plastic looked distorted), so those may need replacing as well. The other driver has Progressive, who offered to either pay for someone to do the entire repair, or to give me a check for the parts and install/painting of whatever, which is fantastic.

I'm eyeing the M-Tech rear bumper from ECS Tuning, which comes with a nice, but basic looking diffuser. How much would this cost to be painted? Not that I'm too concerned with cost, but I am. I'm thinking of wrapping the diffuser, if this whole thing works out, in a matte carbon fibre. Before you cry RICE, lemme explain; the diffuser is in a usually-shaded position that won't highlight any flaws in the faux weave, like a wrapped roof would...
      02-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #42
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
I got a good look at the damage today, the bumper is well-gashed and will likely need replacing. The inner fender liner was crumpled, and it looked like the little cover for the fuel vapor filter was damaged (screws appeared bent, and plastic looked distorted), so those may need replacing as well. The other driver has Progressive, who offered to either pay for someone to do the entire repair, or to give me a check for the parts and install/painting of whatever, which is fantastic.

I'm eyeing the M-Tech rear bumper from ECS Tuning, which comes with a nice, but basic looking diffuser. How much would this cost to be painted? Not that I'm too concerned with cost, but I am. I'm thinking of wrapping the diffuser, if this whole thing works out, in a matte carbon fibre. Before you cry RICE, lemme explain; the diffuser is in a usually-shaded position that won't highlight any flaws in the faux weave, like a wrapped roof would...
I would just pick up a used bumper off eBay, they go for 200-500.

My body shop quoted ~200 to spray my bumper, this is with a friend/business partner discount though so YMMV.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #43
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
I would just pick up a used bumper off eBay, they go for 200-500.

My body shop quoted ~200 to spray my bumper, this is with a friend/business partner discount though so YMMV.
Glad to hear you got the check option offered, I'd definitely jump on that!

The M-Tech bumper is the stock 135i style I believe. The 1M style ones are the one you want IMO. Just make sure you get the one with the PDC if your car has that option.

As far as the diffuser goes, when I did mine I just painted it gloss black and threw some clear coat over it. Testors for black and high temp clear for the final coat. Very happy with how it came out and painting it was easy+cheap!

20170419_093946 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
TobiasJuly2017-4 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
      02-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #44
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Glad to hear you got the check option offered, I'd definitely jump on that!

The M-Tech bumper is the stock 135i style I believe. The 1M style ones are the one you want IMO. Just make sure you get the one with the PDC if your car has that option.
I was happy with having the choice offered to me!

I'm torn between the 1M and M-Tech bumper (Stock 135i, or M-Sport 128i). The only issue with the 1M is that I'd have to modify my exhaust (probably a muffler delete with Y-pipe to left and right dual exits) for it to fit right.