BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2018, 01:16 AM   #1
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Does anyone know what dash cam this plug goes to?

My cars previous owner seems to have wired it for a dash cam, but I don't know what model the plug is for. Ideally I'd like to buy the same cam or get an adapter for a better one. Can anyone identify this plug?

Last edited by Manual Transmission; 03-22-2018 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:29 AM   #2
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Most dash cams use MicroUSB for power. That looks like it might be for a radar detector possibly
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 05:50 AM   #3
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Most dash cams use MicroUSB for power. That looks like it might be for a radar detector possibly
I did a bit more research into the plug. It looks like it's a coaxial barrel plug of unknown size/spec. They are sometimes used to power dash cams, especially BlackVue's models. It also looks like these plugs are used for radar detectors. I guess I just need to identify the size of the plug and get an adapter for whatever cam I choose.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

I have a question.. and it might be stupid idk.. if u buy a camera.. whatever the brand..
1. its gonna come with its own cord..
2.i think its best to use the original cord that comes with cam .
soo this being said.. if u want a camera.. fish the new cord with this old one and install!!!!
      03-22-2018, 02:19 PM   #5
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitesales305 View Post
I have a question.. and it might be stupid idk.. if u buy a camera.. whatever the brand..
1. its gonna come with its own cord..
2.i think its best to use the original cord that comes with cam .
soo this being said.. if u want a camera.. fish the new cord with this old one and install!!!!
That requires that I run the wires and wire it up myself. Plus I would have to buy the necessary accessories to hard wire it in since those aren't usually included. I see no reason to redo all that work when it's already been done, possibly better than I would. All I need to do is identify a plug, possibly purchase an adapter and verify that the wiring has power and shuts off when the battery is getting low.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

Cool ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual Transmission View Post
That requires that I run the wires and wire it up myself. Plus I would have to buy the necessary accessories to hard wire it in since those aren't usually included. I see no reason to redo all that work when it's already been done, possibly better than I would. All I need to do is identify a plug, possibly purchase an adapter and verify that the wiring has power and shuts off when the battery is getting low.
any camera or gps or whatever is low voltage.. prev owner probably cut the end of the power cord u see running and found the appropriate low voltage on car to tap into..
It seems like I'm getting bit for giving my 2 cents wich u didn't ask for and I get it..
I'm just saying to do the same exact thing the prev owner did with the corresponding power cord to whatever apparatus u buy dude..
u wanna jerry rig it.. go right ahead..
and sorry I cant identify the type of plug that is.. try measuring it .. that way we can have more info.. or google searc hthe dimensions ..
      03-23-2018, 06:30 AM   #7
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitesales305 View Post
any camera or gps or whatever is low voltage.. prev owner probably cut the end of the power cord u see running and found the appropriate low voltage on car to tap into..
It seems like I'm getting bit for giving my 2 cents wich u didn't ask for and I get it..
I'm just saying to do the same exact thing the prev owner did with the corresponding power cord to whatever apparatus u buy dude..
u wanna jerry rig it.. go right ahead..
and sorry I cant identify the type of plug that is.. try measuring it .. that way we can have more info.. or google searc hthe dimensions ..
Sorry if my tone came off wrong, I just wanted to give you my reasoning. The previous owner probably tapped into the fuse box behind the glove box and hopefully used good parts, which I do plan to verify.

It looks like these plugs are semistandarized so I was hoping someone would know which is usually used. I'm thinking the radar detector plug might be right.

UPDATE: I measured the plug, it's 3.5mm and likely for a dashcam according to the dashcam talk people. I found no tap a fuses on the fuse box box so now I've got to assume the previous owner tapped one of the dome lights.

UPDATE: The plug is 12v. Guess this won't work after all.

Last edited by Manual Transmission; 03-23-2018 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0