BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Anyone running 225\255 Hankooks on the stock rims with Eibachs?

Hi folks,

I upgraded to the Eibach Prokit springs along with Koni Sports a few months back and that went well. On our generally smooth roads around the bay area, this combo seems to work fairly well with the stock RFT's.

However, one does hit the occasional annoying pothole producing a KERSLAM, and I have seen at least two current threads on mushrooming strut towers, along with a lot of reports of cracked rims, so I'm thinking of ditching the RFT's and going with the Hankooks.

I'm having no rubbing trouble with the stock 215\245 sizes on the stock 18" rims, but I'm just wondering if anyone is actually running the 225\255 Hankooks with the Eibachs, and if they are experiencing any rubbing issues with that combination, also on stock rims.

I'm going back and forth about ordering them in the stock sizes or +1, but decided to ask here for anyone's experiences before pulling the trigger. I did check in the wheel and tire fitment thread, but didn't see anyone with this exact combo.

Thanks for your help!

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Macca916
Private
England
Rep
Drives: X6 XDrive35D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Hi folks,

I upgraded to the Eibach Prokit springs along with Koni Sports a few months back and that went well. On our generally smooth roads around the bay area, this combo seems to work fairly well with the stock RFT's.

However, one does hit the occasional annoying pothole producing a KERSLAM, and I have seen at least two current threads on mushrooming strut towers, along with a lot of reports of cracked rims, so I'm thinking of ditching the RFT's and going with the Hankooks.

I'm having no rubbing trouble with the stock 215\245 sizes on the stock 18" rims, but I'm just wondering if anyone is actually running the 225\255 Hankooks with the Eibachs, and if they are experiencing any rubbing issues with that combination, also on stock rims.

I'm going back and forth about ordering them in the stock sizes or +1, but decided to ask here for anyone's experiences before pulling the trigger. I did check in the wheel and tire fitment thread, but didn't see anyone with this exact combo.

Thanks for your help!

ianc
I cant see that you'll have rubbing issues with stock rims but Hancocks?! er I meant Hancooks?! Just pulled hancocks of the back of my TVR (sidewall bulge shortened thier existence) and swapped them for 255/35x18 Vrestein Sessantas, it has transformed the rear from a wheelspin anywhere (even in the dry) to grip grip and more grip. Also running Sessantas on my 123d (though only 235 rear, 225 front) and they are a very stable/predictable tyre. If you want lots of easy sliding get the hancocks if not get something else.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Hey Macca,

I actually ran Hankooks on the rear of my 911 and liked them quite a bit (better than the Bridgestones I had in front), so I thought I would try them again. Plus, they are cheap.

Really looking for input from someone who is currently running this particular configuration though. Thanks,

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Macca916
Private
England
Rep
Drives: X6 XDrive35D

Garage List
Quote:
Hey Macca,

I actually ran Hankooks on the rear of my 911 and liked them quite a bit (better than the Bridgestones I had in front), so I thought I would try them again. Plus, they are cheap.

Really looking for input from someone who is currently running this particular configuration though. Thanks,

ianc
No worries though an N-Spec tyre might be completly different to an off the shelf generic tyre. Honestly the hankooks (I get it right some times) were really awful on my TVR but it is light with 350bhp and a eager LSD to help things along, I was actually suprised at how much extra grip the Sessantas gave. Going back to your setup I really cant see any issues on the stock offset rims as long as you have at least 7.5" front and 8.5" rear widths (which i think stock 18"s are) . Most are running those sizes on wider with more outward offset wheels and get them in. My rears may be closer to arches than your proposed set up at ET42 9" but work ok with 235/40x18 which sometimes may rub more readily than a 255/35 as the narrower 235 has a taller sidewall and can therefore rub were the 255 doesnt.
225/40x18 on the front is a no brainer up to ET40 8" rims.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Hi Macca,

Yes, it seems like the 225\255 combination is preferred\recommended by all here. I know this has been reported to work well numerous times with the stock suspension height.

I'm just a little concerned that with the lowering of the Eibachs, I may get some rubbing due to the increased width, even with the relatively non aggressive offsets of the stock rims. I quite frequently carry a passenger up front, and some times my 30 lb. daughter in the back.

Hoping to hear some yeas or nays...

ianc

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In tires you pretty much get for what you pay.

Cheap ≠ Good Performance over the lifetime of the tire.
Thanks for the opinion.

As a reminder, this thread is asking for people's experience fitting these particular tires in the sizes indicated if you are running Eibach springs. Thanks again for your input on the original question,

ianc

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

ianc, I'm not currently running this setup. However, I have been researching tires extensively, and everything I've read has stated that 225/255 will work without rubbing on lowered vehicles with stock wheels.

I've been eying the Star Specs, which I believe are wider than the Hankooks. The Dunlops run wide even for a 255 tire, so if they work on lowered vehicles, the Hankooks should as well.

I will also add that the only time I've heard of any rubbing on stock sizes with the Star Specs is with the Breyton wheels, and even then it was minimal. The Breytons have a slightly lower offset than stock, which should account for the rubbing.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Hi Mastamind,

Thanks for chipping in. What I've read and what has been speculated is that it will in fact fit. I'm not worried about the rear where there appears to be plenty of room, but about the front, which could be a bit tight. Thanks for the input, but still waiting to hear from someone actually running this setup,

ianc

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
1ntense_Rocket
1ntense_Rocket
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i sport

i think irishace on this forum is running that setup exactly
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #10
Victory Road
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

I don't think you will have any problems at all with the Eibach drop and the wider Hankook tires. You could probably even throw some spacers on there to really get an aggressive, wide, setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Thanks for the opinion.

As a reminder, this thread is asking for people's experience fitting these particular tires in the sizes indicated if you are running Eibach springs. Thanks again for your input on the original question,

ianc
That was funny as hell.
Appreciate 0