BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #45
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp-plickner View Post
Here are two 135i VINs side by side with the options for the 135is in yellow.
The other color is the option that includes the oil cooler.

the source is http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/
Thanks for the link. I was wondering where you were getting that info. Good stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #46
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

You can run my VIN if you want. So you can see how a Canadian M Sport Special Edition comes up. Sorry, can't read Russian.

PM sent with VIN
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #47
aeronautics
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 135is 6MT

Canadian 135i M Sport is our 135i with M Sport pkg

Quote:
Yep the VINs I am using are WBAUC9C5%DV% and WBAUN7C5%DV%

If you look at these two post it may help with my assumptions regarding the 135i M-Sport. Perhaps I should refer to it as "The Cdn "MSport Special Edition" " like tucco44 does

and my post
First, thank you bp for the excellent research. The numbers reached 569 today and it is still increasing. I think the world has caught up with the 1 series.

Second, I see that folks suggest that the 135i-M Sport is the same as the 135is. The 135i-M Sport in Canada is similar to our 135i with M Sport pkg with the following differences: - 313 rims versus 261, - available black leather w/blue stiching. This is also similar to the UK's 135i Sport Plus Edition. Therefore, the Canadian 135i M Sport should only be counted as a 135i and not 135is. Only the 135is in the U.S. has performance upgrades.

Last edited by aeronautics; 07-10-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #48
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
You can run my VIN if you want. So you can see how a Canadian M Sport Special Edition comes up. Sorry, can't read Russian.

PM sent with VIN
MightyMouse

Thanks for the VIN. I checked it out and the speedo was in KPH...

Thanks for helping out
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #49
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

[QUOTE=aeronautics;14299450]First, thank you bp for the excellent research. The numbers reached 569 today and it is still increasing. I think the world has caught up with the 1 series.

Second, I see that folks suggest that the 135i-M Sport is the same as the 135is. The 135i-M Sport in Canada is similar to our 135i with M Sport pkg with the following differences: - 313 rims versus 261, - available black leather w/blue stiching. This is also similar to the UK's 135i Sport Plus Edition. Therefore, the Canadian 135i M Sport should only be counted as a 135i and not 135is. Only the 135is in the U.S. has performance upgrades.[/QUOTE]

That is correct as I understand it and per my dealer here.
      07-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #50
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronautics View Post
First, thank you bp for the excellent research. The numbers reached 569 today and it is still increasing. I think the world has caught up with the 1 series.

Second, I see that folks suggest that the 135i-M Sport is the same as the 135is. The 135i-M Sport in Canada is similar to our 135i with M Sport pkg with the following differences: - 313 rims versus 261, - available black leather w/blue stitching. This is also similar to the UK's 135i Sport Plus Edition. Therefore, the Canadian 135i M Sport should only be counted as a 135i and not 135is. Only the 135is in the U.S. has performance upgrades.
Yeah it looks like BMW is really cranking out those "P7MFA-Sports Edition" cars.

So far I have included all of the VINS I have come across with the P7MFA-Sports Edition code in my count and now with MightyMouse's help I can distinguish the made for Canada cars. The Canada cars look to be in very small numbers. I have noted the Canadian cars so the folks up north can have see that they are "special" even without the blue stitching.

We agree that the 135is is a USA only car with the port installed performance mods, unless the Brits also get the PPK2 and Performance exhaust?

Cheers for Beers
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #51
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Second, I see that folks suggest that the 135i-M Sport is the same as the 135is. The 135i-M Sport in Canada is similar to our 135i with M Sport pkg with the following differences: - 313 rims versus 261, - available black leather w/blue stiching. This is also similar to the UK's 135i Sport Plus Edition. Therefore, the Canadian 135i M Sport should only be counted as a 135i and not 135is. Only the 135is in the U.S. has performance upgrades.
He knows this.

The problem he is having is that when you run the VIN's for the IS and the Canadian M sport, they come up with all the same option codes, they are built in Germany the same, and leave Germany the same. If we both take off our badges, and I put on the PE and PPK2, you could not tell a difference between our cars.

Except for a speedo in km/hr as it turns out.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 07-10-2013 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #52
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have noted the Canadian cars so the folks up north can have see that they are "special" even without the blue stitching.
Thank you very much! But I knew I was "special" a long time ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #53
aeronautics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it looks like BMW is really cranking out those "P7MFA-Sports Edition" cars.

So far I have included all of the VINS I have come across with the P7MFA-Sports Edition code in my count and now with MightyMouse's help I can distinguish the made for Canada cars. The Canada cars look to be in very small numbers. I have noted the Canadian cars so the folks up north can have see that they are "special" even without the blue stitching.

We agree that the 135is is a USA only car with the port installed performance mods, unless the Brits also get the PPK2 and Performance exhaust?

Cheers for Beers
Canada and the UK get the same car. However, I do not think the Brits get the P7MFA option, they get (Sport Plus Edition (S07MF)).

It was the general believe that the 135is leaves Germany as a 135i and get "transfered" in the VDC. Now I do not think that this is true. I think only the software upgrades are added in the VDC. I think that all the "hardware" comes in the P7MFA option. This will ensure that there will be no "waste" (no way BMW will replace mirrors, exhaust, rims, etc and dipose the old ones). The question then becomes why BMW does not add the software upgrade in Germany!! It could be that creating the 135is in Germany would require a special VIN number which requires extra certification that could be too costly for the predicted production numbers!!

Does any one have an opinion/knowledge about this matter?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #54
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
It was the general believe that the 135is leaves Germany as a 135i and get "transfered" in the VDC. Now I do not think that this is true. I think only the software upgrades are added in the VDC. I think that all the "hardware" comes in the P7MFA option. This will ensure that there will be no "waste" (no way BMW will replace mirrors, exhaust, rims, etc and dipose the old ones). The question then becomes why BMW does not add the software upgrade in Germany!! It could be that creating the 135is in Germany would require a special VIN number which requires extra certification that could be too costly for the predicted production numbers!!

Ya, we got evidence recently with both pictures of one our 135is cars going through its transformation at the VDC in April as well as conversations with the techs there. We're not 100% sure on the mirrors, but pretty sure it comes with just the black mirrors and 313 rims on it from Germany (looking exactly like that canadian version I assume).

Then, they do the software upgrade and install the other mechanical parts of the PPK 2 (auxiliary radiator, etc.). But, what was surprising and seemingly very wasteful is they do appear to arrive with the standard exhaust on, which is then taken off and the PE is installed. I have no idea what they do with the perfectly good standard exhaust. We saw a picture though of a forum member's 135is being worked on and it had the 313 wheel off seemingly for the PPK 2 radiator install in front of the driver's side wheel well, and the car still had the black-tipped stock exhaust on it in the picture.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #55
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

The PPK2, PE and badges get added once the car arrives on US soil. Take a look under the car and see if the mid pipe has clamps. Same as someone with a 135i adding the PE at the dealer.

This is why US customers could not do a Euro delivery of an "is", because the car is not completed till it arrives on this side of the pond.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #56
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think that all the "hardware" comes in the P7MFA option. This will ensure that there will be no "waste" (no way BMW will replace mirrors, exhaust, rims, etc and dipose the old ones). The question then becomes why BMW does not add the software upgrade in Germany!! It could be that creating the 135is in Germany would require a special VIN number which requires extra certification that could be too costly for the predicted production numbers!!

Nope. I have the P7MFA option on my Canadian car. Comes with the black mirrors, rims, silver interior trim, mats with blue trim etc etc etc. Only thing missing is the dealer available accessories of exhaust and PPK.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #57
aeronautics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Ya, we got evidence recently with both pictures of one our 135is cars going through its transformation at the VDC in April as well as conversations with the techs there. We're not 100% sure on the mirrors, but pretty sure it comes with just the black mirrors and 313 rims on it from Germany (looking exactly like that canadian version I assume).

Then, they do the software upgrade and install the other mechanical parts of the PPK 2 (auxiliary radiator, etc.). But, what was surprising and seemingly very wasteful is they do appear to arrive with the standard exhaust on, which is then taken off and the PE is installed. I have no idea what they do with the perfectly good standard exhaust. We saw a picture though of a forum member's 135is being worked on and it had the 313 wheel off seemingly for the PPK 2 radiator install in front of the driver's side wheel well, and the car still had the black-tipped stock exhaust on it in the picture.

Hope that helps.
That helps, but I still can't accept the fact that BMW would waste new exhausts. Not a really good business move!

Could it be that the car leaves with the PE and only the chrome-plated tips are added in the U.S.?!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #58
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That helps, but I still can't accept the fact that BMW would waste new exhausts. Not a really good business move!

Could it be that the car leaves with the PE and only the chrome-plated tips are added in the U.S.?!!!
It is not the entire exhaust, just the muffler and resonator delete. Same as the accessory kit available at the dealer.

This is a package put together by BMW USA. Not Germany.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #59
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:

We were told the PE is installed at port, so as crazy as it sounds, I think it's the whole performance exhaust system, not just the tips getting swapped at port. Here are the pictures by the way, which should be post #213 I believe:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...reador&page=10
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #60
aeronautics
Private
Rep

Quote:
We were told the PE is installed at port, so as crazy as it sounds, I think it's the whole performance exhaust system, not just the tips getting swapped at port. Here are the pictures by the way, which should be post #213 I believe:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...reador&page=10
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...reador&page=12

Post 251 confirms that only the PPK2, PE and 135is emblems are installed at the VDC, where the 313 wheels, extra cooling hardware and stainless pedals are installed in Germany.

As for the exhaust, I have no idea why BMW would generate this much waste!

I noticed that some pictures of the 135is do not show stainless pedals of the 6MT. Anyone did not get them?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #61
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

The extra cooling hardware is part of the PPK2, which is why you see the wheel off in that pic as that was being installed.

As for the stainless steel pedals, don't even get me started as I had a big fight/rant about this back in the day with my sales person and BMW, but seemingly only the manuals were coming with the stainless steel pedals, but not the DCTs, which didn't make a lot of sense. So, no DCTs came with them installed. I made such a stink though, they gave me the $100 pedals for free. I think they look much better on the manuals though as you have 3 nicely sized pedals compared to how they look with the DCT and the big fat brake pedal.

Here they are on mine though:

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #62
aeronautics
Private
Rep

Quote:
The extra cooling hardware is part of the PPK2, which is why you see the wheel off in that pic as that was being installed.

As for the stainless steel pedals, don't even get me started as I had a big fight/rant about this back in the day with my sales person and BMW, but seemingly only the manuals were coming with the stainless steel pedals, but not the DCTs, which didn't make a lot of sense. So, no DCTs came with them installed. I made such a stink though, they gave me the $100 pedals for free. I think they look much better on the manuals though as you have 3 nicely sized pedals compared to how they look with the DCT and the big fat brake pedal.

Here they are on mine though:

Thank you for the picture and the heads up. I am actually worried that they would screw up and not install them on the my 6MT. I hope that they get it right

They still look good with DCT especially since the rest pedal is stainless anyways. I'm glad that you got them!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #63
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Ah, didn't know you had a 135is on order.

You should be fine as every manual has the stainless steel pedals. What's weird is some people have been getting the interior badge in different places on the right side above the glovebox. Most have on the black part just beneath the glacier aluminum trim, but a few of them have it ON the aluminum trim.

I do think the stainless steel pedals still look great on the DCT and really finish off the interior. The problem is, once you see stainless steel pedals on there and then go back and see pics of the normal black rubber ones, they look like turds in comparison. So, once you see them, there's no going back and you can't unsee them! I just think the stainless steel ones look EVEN better and more fitting on the manuals vs DCT, that's all.

Only took me going all lawyerly on them and showing them the press release, pictures of the configurator on the BMWUSA site showing them, and showing them ones at other dealers with them installed...I just didn't mention that obviously all of those were manuals. Only weird thing is I now have the normal pedals in a box and no clue what to do with those.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #64
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the picture and the heads up. I am actually worried that they would screw up and not install them on the my 6MT. I hope that they get it right

They still look good with DCT especially since the rest pedal is stainless anyways. I'm glad that you got them!
Gee, I thought I was the only one wondering how things could mess up, but after a 10 week wait my car came through ok. I have a 6MT with the correct pedals.

The more I drive it the more I like it
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #65
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

here is another number from my new hobby "collect some 135i vins"

2013-06-29 to 2013-07-06 = vy60519 to vy60552 = 34 vins/ 17 are P7MFA or 50%
2013-07-08 to 2013-07-17 = vy60553 to vy60601 = 49 vins/ 11 are P7MFA or 22.5%

P7MFA being the 135is indicator

Last edited by bp-plickner; 07-18-2013 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #66
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

Quote:
here is another number from my new hobby "collect some 135i vins"

2013-06-29 to 2013-07-06 = vy60519 to vy60552 = 34 vins/ 17 are P7MFA or 50%
2013-07-08 to 2013-07-17 = vy60553 to vy60601 = 49 vins/ 11 are P7MFA or 22.5%

P7MFA being the 135is indicator
BP: I have 498 total IS coupes from 6/29/12 through today, how does that compare to your number? I got cross-eyed a couple times mining the data, so I bet there's an error or 3 in the 1200+ lines of data

I also show that 200 of those are MT6, for a take rate of 40%! Maybe there's hope for another generation of MT cars from BMW past the F22 yet.
Appreciate 0