BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
sonus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Montego Blue 128i

they accidentally the ENTIRE TRUNK?!

I hate birds. And where I live, there are no parking spots that are not directly under one or more huge trees.

So this morning I'm driving to work and I look in my rearview, and I'm like "oh damn a bird crapped on my window." And then I get to work and walk around back and OH GOD THE ENTIRE TRUNK.

I had some mf towels, but no quick detailer. The only thing I had was Stoner's Invisible Glass wipes. Not the ideal product, but I figured it was better to risk a little marring than having the entire trunk etched from leaving the bird crap there all day.

So. When I get home today I'm putting some QD in my trunk for now.

But I was wondering if anyone has bought some small 4oz spray bottles online, and where you got them, and if you could recommend a particular brand or something. I figure the sprayers must vary in quality somewhat.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I keep a 500ml spray bottle of quick detailer in my trunk. I like Chemical Guys products.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Check out Griotsgarage.com for their great little 8oz spray bottles of Detailer, spray on wax, even the spray on wash...carry a complete set, along with clothes and takes NO room in boot at all. Saved maaaaany a bad day while away from the shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #4
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

There are two problems with using a quick detailer on acids; most contain wax or a polymer that will ‘seal’ the acid, QD comprise mostly of water that will reactivate the acid once heat is added.

Use a small spray bottle of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and distilled water
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 06:21 AM   #5
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
I keep the Optimum no rinse wash n shine in a 12oz spray bottle in the trunk. It's like a QD but I feel it works alot better.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
There are two problems with using a quick detailer on acids; most contain wax or a polymer that will ‘seal’ the acid, QD comprise mostly of water that will reactivate the acid once heat is added.

Use a small spray bottle of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and distilled water

this happened to me once at work so on my lunch break I went to the store got some distilled water and used it to clean it
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
sonus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Montego Blue 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post

This is the first time I've heard anyone say that a QD might not be the best product for removing bird droppings, or that it might actually cause damage! Interesting. Have you had any first-hand experience with it happening, or any pics? Activating and then sealing-in the acids can't be very good for the paint
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

The amount of protectant in a QD is probably best measured in hours, not days, weeks or months. I'd guess that quickly removing a bird bomb with available QD is going to work out better than running around to find fizzy water. I've never noticed etching getting any worse from using a QD than it was immediately after using it. However I do use ONR recently, simply because I have it on hand, and it's a more complete washing product.

I respect TOGWT's detailing knowledge, but think this might be one area that the science of detailing is speaking out of its collective tush.
Appreciate 0