BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #23
urbanjunglist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
@urbanjunglist
Welcome to the forum.. I highly recommend the links here and visiting the e90post section too to get a handle on Intakes, tuning chip things and other non 128i chasis stuff.

The AFE magnum intake you selected is a good intake compared to the other cheaper AFE semi open design. There have been no reports of bad placement of MAF issues. The dry vs Oiled argument is a personal choice. I have an Afe dry filter in my used Euro box because i didnt want to re oil on cleaning days or buy any recharge kits since I plan to buy new filter dry every 2 yrs. The no MAF issue is just a bonus. Also of in my experience on the 128i the intake can lower the exhaust sound.

at Exhaust. Some 135i axleback/mufflers have been retro to 128i, and its cool although some drone may be of result of the custom nature. The reason for those retrofits has been cheap cost by using a used 135i exhaust and also atthe time limited options ofr 128i. Otherwise PE or Magnaflow 128i are all good choices. StIG went a different way, he chose to do headers which added sound/character and preserve secondary cats to control smell and stock 128i muffler to control sound ( I have a feeling he will go foe a Superspint muffler to compliment the headers). So maybe you should evaluate use headers in your city/state. All other wild options for exhaust are taking 135i parts like n55 mids and making them fit, the key is to use used parts to keep costs at the PE /magnaflow levels

BMS vs other tunes. Up to you to decide after research. Just know that BMS tends to burn more fuel.
Eurocharged tune is actually Chicago based and their costs make it a direct competitor to BMS. It will take care of throttle too and be near AA tune gains. Also Eurocharged tunes have been dyno'd in the past.

@ace35 Hi back at you. Do you own a 128i?
Awesome and thanks. The more I think about the exhaust, the more I think I want to introduce as few variables as possible to the mod. Like I've mentioned previously, I'm an amateur with a car like this... keeping it simple for now

Eurocharged... the only one I'm finding is Houston TX. You say Chicago-based?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #24
urbanjunglist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
So you picked an oiled intake that makes little to no power while killing your MAF, based an exhaust purchase on a sound clip from an entirely different engine, and got software that does little except make your gas pedal jerky?

Bravo! Now you just need to get 19s with run flats in a staggered setup.
Thanks for jumpin back on. I used to really enjoy the oiled intake on my prelude. I kept it clean. Monthly light rinse from the inside-out, air dry, then a light mist... never over-oiled it, just enough to do the job.

I noticed in this thread last July, you said you picked up the AFE Stage 2. Was this the Pro Dry? Or... same intake I mentioned here? Did you end up using this intake? Just curious, I know that dry v oiled definitely seems to be just preference from everyone I've seen so far. For me, which one's pulling more air and will deliver the most consistent performance?

Thanks for pointing out the tune also, I've seen the other options (Evolve, AA, Renntech). I feel like this will not happen at this point though... I want to crawl before I walk & I have a desire to get this engine's breathing optimized first. But, any advice on the ECU is greatly appreciated... I've never tuned any car past stock stage.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #25
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
they certainly havesome one good in Chicago with them. The user @UdubBadger did custom map with them on his ZHP 330i e46. Hes currently banned and here is his other profile e46 profile http://forum.e46fanatics.com/member.php?u=120693
Contact him and learn more

Renntech are not N52 tuners
Keep looking, refer to my recent post in another thread.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #26
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanjunglist View Post
Thanks man! I hear you... and I can appreciate a bit of sarcasm as much as the next guy. I think you'll get a lot of info from my recent post to Daft. To break it down simply though, what I want (in priority order):

- I want her breathing freely (inhale & exhale equally). Plain and simple.
- I want increased throttle response. With a 6mt and my current driving style, response is more exciting to me than top speed any day.
- I want to hear it, like anyone else. But I'm not trying to force that. My instinct tells me that if I choose the intake/exhaust that achieve the clean, cold, unrestricted breathing I want... the sound will fall into place organically.

Thanks man, really. Even though you too are a smart-ass ... I respect and appreciate your time & advice.
I think you are vastly underrating the ability of the stock intake and exhaust in terms of function.

Quote:
Thanks for jumpin back on. I used to really enjoy the oiled intake on my prelude. I kept it clean. Monthly light rinse from the inside-out, air dry, then a light mist... never over-oiled it, just enough to do the job.

I noticed in this thread last July, you said you picked up the AFE Stage 2. Was this the Pro Dry? Or... same intake I mentioned here? Did you end up using this intake? Just curious, I know that dry v oiled definitely seems to be just preference from everyone I've seen so far. For me, which one's pulling more air and will deliver the most consistent performance?

Thanks for pointing out the tune also, I've seen the other options (Evolve, AA, Renntech). I feel like this will not happen at this point though... I want to crawl before I walk & I have a desire to get this engine's breathing optimized first. But, any advice on the ECU is greatly appreciated... I've never tuned any car past stock stage.
Yeah I snagged the AFE intake. The thing droned in an awful way, was stupidly loud, and the misplaced MAF caused the engine to cut in and out under acceleration. I thought it was bad enough that I decided I would eat the cost of it to prevent someone else from wasting their money, hence why I haven't re-listed it for sale.
      06-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #27
urbanjunglist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I think you are vastly underrating the ability of the stock intake and exhaust in terms of function.
I had a feeling I might be . Am I incorrectly assuming that using a conical/cylindrical filter & short ram setup is going to give me a more free-feeling throttle, & a quicker more aggressive inhale stroke? I only know that's what it did to my last car. But that was a Honda prelude. As I've said, bmw = whole new league for me.

Quote:
Yeah I snagged the AFE intake. The thing droned in an awful way, was stupidly loud, and the misplaced MAF caused the engine to cut in and out under acceleration. I thought it was bad enough that I decided I would eat the cost of it to prevent someone else from wasting their money, hence why I haven't re-listed it for sale.
Good man!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #28
iv-128i
bmw
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, prior : 2011 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
Hey,

if it can help you to decide regarding the intake. I installed the exact same AFE intake that you are talking about on the first page(Stage-2 Si PRO, closed box). If you search a little bit you will find a small review that I also did on it. It's been over a month and so far I have no check engines or cuts while accelerating... I do know that their entry level intake had to be installed with an adapter for a MAF because it was not properly positioned...
      06-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #29
mikal7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i / Rx7 Turbo

@andrey_gta Pur auto near yorku is a eurocharged dealer. The eurocharged.ca address is pur automotive.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #30
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had a feeling I might be . Am I incorrectly assuming that using a conical/cylindrical filter & short ram setup is going to give me a more free-feeling throttle, & a quicker more aggressive inhale stroke? I only know that's what it did to my last car. But that was a Honda prelude. As I've said, bmw = whole new league for me.
Open air ram pipe?
      06-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I think he means scoops.

Btw STIG, are you adding scoops to your intake plan? I know GruppeM had scoops in their intake kit.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #32
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
I think he means scoops.

Btw STIG, are you adding scoops to your intake plan? I know GruppeM had scoops in their intake kit.
Not convinced they do anything currently.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #33
urbanjunglist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Open air ram pipe?
if that's the more accurate industry term for
this, then yes.

And re: Andrey's reply, yes I was referring to this type of intake including a diverter or or scoops to push air from grill to filter.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #34
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
if that's the more accurate industry term for
this, then yes.

And re: Andrey's reply, yes I was referring to this type of intake including a diverter or or scoops to push air from grill to filter.
Looks susceptible to heat soak.
      06-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #35
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

just out of curiosity....did you pull the trigger yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #36
Miko226
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 335d

First time i read a 128 thread and all these fights... i just LoL'd why mod these other than cosmetic even then why?... 20hp FBO??
Sponsor my Car Instead!!!

08' n54 135i FBO E85 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #37
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko226 View Post
First time i read a 128 thread and all these fights... i just LoL'd why mod these other than cosmetic even then why?... 20hp FBO??
Because quite a few of us prefer 300hp NA in a platform that weighs 250lbs less. Not everyone wants a massively unreliable engine with a terrible power curve and multiple issues. Enjoy your overheating, carbon buildup, HPFP failure, turbo failure, injector failure, and failing brakes.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #38
Apiasto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko226
Why modify any car really? Because it's an experience that generally most people on this forum enjoy... Granted your car will make much more power but it's the same concept... We're all spending money on things we want not need when realistically the cars (whether 128, 135 or a prelude) were fine just the way they were... Still won't stop any of us from modifying them though
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #39
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

We can also gain 70hp with stock reliability and feel. Can't beat that.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #40
Apiasto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G
We can also gain 70hp with stock reliability and feel. Can't beat that.
+1... So percentage wise we gain ROUGHLY the same as a modified 135... 128i = 30% 135i = 33%
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #41
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

aaaaaaaaaaaaand I still would like to see these HEADER/I/E/tune dynos.... :/
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #42
08_128i
Private
Rep

I will be running my 128i on a dyno very soon at a shop down the street from me. I have a powerbox, magnaflow catback, AFE stage 2 magnum force intake, modified clutch valve installed. I want to see once and for all what the power at the wheels is with these 3 popular mods. As far as performance, my car is much more responsive, quicker, sounds better. I got it going 140mph+ racing an M3 and the owner asked if my car was a re-badged 135 cuz I was right with him. So I have to contest that these mods render no performance advantages. I will comment on each mod:

Powerbox: on map 3 I notice throttle responsivenes, supposedly there is also ignition advance and a/f ratio adjustments. Is there a POWER gain? Maybe, maybe not. Is there a performance difference? Yes. I ran the car with only the powerbox installed and it was more fun to drive for sure, and chirps second easier and louder. I think the a/f ratio and the ignition advance only really matter once u add an intake. if the mixture is richer with the power box, then the intake adds more air, now u have both more air and more fuel which must result in some power gain. Power is made by getting as much air/fuel into the combustion chamber, burning it, and getting it out as quickly as possible. So with an intake manifold and more importantly headers I think there is an advantage to these adjustments made by the powerbox. But on a factory setup prob not much if any at all. Header is next on my list....does anyone even make one for my car? All in all I like the powerbox, it can be disabled for service and invisible to bmw techs. Don't like the idea of them possibly reflashing my ecu and losing a 600 dollar tune. It changes the performance of the car hands down, prob doesn't add power. Although I do notice the car is quicker on map 3 (100% remap + tune) compared to map 7 (100% remap + no tune) so there is a performance change, not necessarily a power gain. Recognize the difference!

Magnaflow catback: slightly louder at idle, loudest around 1500rpm to 2400rpm. Then has a nice recognizable tone from 4000rpm and above. Makes the car sound exotic like mentioned before by others especially under heavy acceleration. Normal highway driving for me results in no drone it is actually relatively quiet unless, again, I am around 2k rpm or hammering down on it above 4k rpm. So not annoying at all as far as that is concerned. With a 6spd manual I sit around 2500rpm at 75 mph and there is no drone at all. Upon take off if I rev it up to about 1500-2000 rpm it gets aggressive sounding as well. I paid 550 with a coupon code shipped. My mechanic said it bolted up perfectly in less than 45min, no vibrations, no rattles and it looks badass coming out the rear bumper, nice and shiny and bigger than factory.

AFE Magnum force stage 2:

install was a breeze, there is a port for the factory MAF. Has a mean growl at 3k rpm, louder than my exhaust. Looks sweet under the hood. A little bit of a performance difference with improved throttle response and high rpm range power. The engine spins up quicker for sure! 1 check engine light indicating a cylinder misfire but I cleared it and it hasn't come back on in about 4k miles. I also just passed 50k on the odometer so a plug change is due, this may have caused that misfire.

combination off all 3 mods results in a fun to drive car, quicker than factory, sounds good which turns heads, has some things to talk about with other car guys (like yourselves). My dynorun will show once and for all if there is in fact any power gain. I will do 2 runs on map 3 and 1 run on map 7 to see if the performance tune does anything.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #43
iv-128i
bmw
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, prior : 2011 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08_128i View Post
I will be running my 128i on a dyno very soon at a shop down the street from me. I have a powerbox, magnaflow catback, AFE stage 2 magnum force intake, modified clutch valve installed. I want to see once and for all what the power at the wheels is with these 3 popular mods. As far as performance, my car is much more responsive, quicker, sounds better. I got it going 140mph+ racing an M3 and the owner asked if my car was a re-badged 135 cuz I was right with him. So I have to contest that these mods render no performance advantages. I will comment on each mod:

Powerbox: on map 3 I notice throttle responsivenes, supposedly there is also ignition advance and a/f ratio adjustments. Is there a POWER gain? Maybe, maybe not. Is there a performance difference? Yes. I ran the car with only the powerbox installed and it was more fun to drive for sure, and chirps second easier and louder. I think the a/f ratio and the ignition advance only really matter once u add an intake. if the mixture is richer with the power box, then the intake adds more air, now u have both more air and more fuel which must result in some power gain. Power is made by getting as much air/fuel into the combustion chamber, burning it, and getting it out as quickly as possible. So with an intake manifold and more importantly headers I think there is an advantage to these adjustments made by the powerbox. But on a factory setup prob not much if any at all. Header is next on my list....does anyone even make one for my car? All in all I like the powerbox, it can be disabled for service and invisible to bmw techs. Don't like the idea of them possibly reflashing my ecu and losing a 600 dollar tune. It changes the performance of the car hands down, prob doesn't add power. Although I do notice the car is quicker on map 3 (100% remap + tune) compared to map 7 (100% remap + no tune) so there is a performance change, not necessarily a power gain. Recognize the difference!

Magnaflow catback: slightly louder at idle, loudest around 1500rpm to 2400rpm. Then has a nice recognizable tone from 4000rpm and above. Makes the car sound exotic like mentioned before by others especially under heavy acceleration. Normal highway driving for me results in no drone it is actually relatively quiet unless, again, I am around 2k rpm or hammering down on it above 4k rpm. So not annoying at all as far as that is concerned. With a 6spd manual I sit around 2500rpm at 75 mph and there is no drone at all. Upon take off if I rev it up to about 1500-2000 rpm it gets aggressive sounding as well. I paid 550 with a coupon code shipped. My mechanic said it bolted up perfectly in less than 45min, no vibrations, no rattles and it looks badass coming out the rear bumper, nice and shiny and bigger than factory.

AFE Magnum force stage 2:

install was a breeze, there is a port for the factory MAF. Has a mean growl at 3k rpm, louder than my exhaust. Looks sweet under the hood. A little bit of a performance difference with improved throttle response and high rpm range power. The engine spins up quicker for sure! 1 check engine light indicating a cylinder misfire but I cleared it and it hasn't come back on in about 4k miles. I also just passed 50k on the odometer so a plug change is due, this may have caused that misfire.

combination off all 3 mods results in a fun to drive car, quicker than factory, sounds good which turns heads, has some things to talk about with other car guys (like yourselves). My dynorun will show once and for all if there is in fact any power gain. I will do 2 runs on map 3 and 1 run on map 7 to see if the performance tune does anything.
Can't wait to see your dyno graph !!! I have the exact same setup
      07-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #44
08_128i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan-128i View Post
Can't wait to see your dyno graph !!! I have the exact same setup
Do u agree that the car performs better after mods compared to before?
Appreciate 0