E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Zaino over dealer applied sealant

05-26-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
rics
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M-Sport

Zaino over dealer applied sealant

Hi,

Because of not reading in more detail the posts and advices of fellow members, (and also being a bit lazy to do the job myself), in the end of January I got delivery of my car and, a few weeks after, I applied a sealant treatment advised by my dealer and some friends. This treatment from www.protech.nl or www.protech.mc is supposed to protect the car paint and offers a warranty of 5 years. It sure works (worked) like it was supposed to, but...

I now have a couple of stone chips I am going to repair with the autosharppen + langka blob eliminator. On top of that I had to had the back bumper resprayed because in a long trip across Europe some stupid vallet parker made a small dent on it, plus some scratches.

The thing is that, now I should go (again) to the dealer to get the affected areas sealed again. This is not only expensive (at least 120€ per bumper), as it is annoying since I am without the car for a day or two.

Since I want to regain control of everything, without depending on someone else everytime I have a small scratch or rock chip, I decided for the Zaino route and do it myself. I already read everything I could find on it (thanks to DavidN for the excellent tutorial!) and am in the process of ordering the parts.

So here are my questions:
Q1: Do you guys think I can simply apply the Zaino sealant according to DavidN's tutorial, or should I remove the actual sealent before with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol (as suggested by DavidN on another thread)?

Q2: Can I also apply Zaino to rims, plastic parts of bumpers (I have the M-kit with some plastics in the back bumper) and headligths?

Q3: Does anybody please advise on where can I find an electrical buffer compared to the Porter Cable, but in Europe. I know that it's possible to order a PC from USA, but I don't want to carry a 110/220 adapter, so I prefer to use a Euro-spec model.

Q4: Here, Meguiars offers online a Cordless Random Orbital Buffer (http://www.meguiars.nl/cgi-bin/catal...cat=ENT_ACCS#2). Is this good enough? Or is it (much) better to buy a non cordless model. I have some limitations that make the cordless option a more appropriate one for me, but I would be willing to compromise if the difference is that big with a 220V powered model.

Thank you very much in advance for taking the time to read, and to answer, if possible,
Rics

Last edited by rics; 05-26-2006 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
rics
Enlisted Member
Rep

poing...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Q1: You can probably remove that sealant with a heavy wash of dishwasher detergent and water.

Q2: You can apply Zaino to everything (I don't apply it on windshield though)

Q3/Q4: You don't need a PC to apply Zaino as you'd be wasting it. (Only if you need to use Z-PC or an abrasive for really bad swirls/scratches.)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
rics
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank's a lot shimshimhada!

In the meantime, this weekend I have been reading a lot of stuff concerning detailing in several websites and forums.

Regarding the PC, from what I read, a cordless is not the best choice for any polishing work. I have some minor swirls that I think need to be removed with some polish. I'll try ZPC at first. I think that should be enough, according to the description of the product. I am getting a entry level Bosch they have here in Europe, which some members in other forums seem to approve. If, later when more experienced, I need to upgrade, I'll get a more suitable model.

I have a Black Saphire car, and am thinking of applying a layer of Z5 and, after, two layers of Z2Pro on top. Is this a good idea, or should I just stick to Z2Pro only, or Z5 only?

By the way: I have read something about a new Zaino Z5 (Z5Pro, I think). Anybody has any news about it? Is it better to use it instead of Z2Pro for a BS car?

Thank's again,
Rics
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rics
Thank's a lot shimshimhada!

In the meantime, this weekend I have been reading a lot of stuff concerning detailing in several websites and forums.

Regarding the PC, from what I read, a cordless is not the best choice for any polishing work. I have some minor swirls that I think need to be removed with some polish. I'll try ZPC at first. I think that should be enough, according to the description of the product. I am getting a entry level Bosch they have here in Europe, which some members in other forums seem to approve. If, later when more experienced, I need to upgrade, I'll get a more suitable model.

I have a Black Saphire car, and am thinking of applying a layer of Z5 and, after, two layers of Z2Pro on top. Is this a good idea, or should I just stick to Z2Pro only, or Z5 only?

By the way: I have read something about a new Zaino Z5 (Z5Pro, I think). Anybody has any news about it? Is it better to use it instead of Z2Pro for a BS car?

Thank's again,
Rics
I don't know much about polishers so I can't help you there, but I'm guessing a direct line of power is provided by a corded polisher, thus delivering a stronger force. That and the fact you don't have to charge it.

As for the Z2 Pro and Z5 (never heard of Z5 pro), it's up to you, as long as you end with a coat of Z2 Pro (Zaino recommends that you do). Personally, I do a coat of Z5 sandwiched between two coats of Z2. You can keep layering it though, so it doesn't really matter. Last time, I just did three coats of Z2 with the ZFX catalyst.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2006, 02:13 AM   #6
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Q1: You can probably remove that sealant with a heavy wash of dishwasher detergent and water.

Q2: You can apply Zaino to everything (I don't apply it on windshield though)
Q1: I have the sealant which can be removed only with paint thinner. It will not come off by using some water/alcohol mix and definitely not with any washing detergent.

Q2: All sealants are not allowed to be waxed. I have the type of sealant which can be waxed with waxes which does not contain silicone like Zaino but it does not give any extra shine. My sealant is now about six months old and still looks like new.

So I think it's better to check from the dealer where you got this sealant what can be done and is wax allowed or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2006, 03:30 AM   #7
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
IMHO, Zaino should only be applied to surfaces that are clearcoated.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
E90Brian
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Aren't all E90s (as well as all modern BMWs--my E28 M5 is not) clearcoated?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #9
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Zaino can be applied to older, non-clear coated paint (single stage paint), that's what Z3 is for. For clear coated use Z2 (or Z5 if you want to hide some swirls). Its all on their site: www.zainostore.com
As far as silicone, I can't think of a wax that currently uses silicone off the top of my head, but if you are using Zaino it is best to stick with their products to avoid compatability/bonding issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2006, 04:29 PM   #10
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC

Danny
I think Sal has the single stage paint's covered with his Z3 but I've also read elsewhere that others have applied both Z5 and Z2 to single stage paint and have gotten good results. I can't attest to the durability factor though and that is what might be compromised (although that's just speculation).
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2006, 05:00 PM   #11
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC

Danny
lol...uh oh.

I used the Tire Gloss on the plastic trims though, that's probably a better idea. I Z2ed my headlights though.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2006, 07:17 PM   #12
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I've Z2Pro'ed my windshield!!! Works GREAT!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 01:25 AM   #13
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga-bmwdrvr
As far as silicone, I can't think of a wax that currently uses silicone off the top of my head, but if you are using Zaino it is best to stick with their products to avoid compatability/bonding issues.
There are lots of waxes containing silicone but most of the modern waxes' silicone is not reactive. I checked from Zaino and they told that all their products are silicone free.
Appreciate 0