BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #23
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Any try the Vorshlag Camber/Caster plate? Do they provide support underneath the strut tower? If they do are they compatible with the M3 strut brace?
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #24
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfl1ght View Post
Any try the Vorshlag Camber/Caster plate? Do they provide support underneath the strut tower? If they do are they compatible with the M3 strut brace?
The E36 crowd reported mushrooming towers with and without camber plates. When I put camber plates on my old E36 I put in the reinforcement plates at the same time. I think they would be a good idea for you since you already have stretched the metal and you should give the towers as much strengthening as you can.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #25
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Good call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
The E36 crowd reported mushrooming towers with and without camber plates. When I put camber plates on my old E36 I put in the reinforcement plates at the same time. I think they would be a good idea for you since you already have stretched the metal and you should give the towers as much strengthening as you can.
The custom shop indicated that camber plates even combined with a strut brace would not help that much and that a reinforcement plate is required.

No go on the Turner reinforcement plate. It needs to be welded in place and will make a mess of the top portion of the strut tower.

A custom curved reinforcement plate is being made to distribute the load better better. I am having it installed on both strut towers.

I will post pics of the plate and the shop doing the work so that other can benefit here.

It is definitely better than doing a cut and weld of the strut tower for now.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #26
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

For the E36, BMW had reinforcement plates that were cheap that were just pushed in place once you dropped the strut assembly. No welding required. Very easy to install. IIRC, they were about $15 or so. I hope they come up with something like that for our cars if this becomes a chronic problem.

Post up pics when you get everything sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #27
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

please do!
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #28
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Our strut tower brace kit is a modified version of the M3 brace(the bracket on the firewall has been modified), with the full strut tower ring to help spread the load, it may or may not have prevented what happened to your strut tower.

You will feel the front end of the car is much tighter with more road feed back and better steering response with the additional of the M3 style strut tower brace, especially on a convertible.
Appreciate 1