BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-20-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Help Needed - Indents on BMW Performance Exhaust

Just received BMW Performance Exhaust System. There are three indents on the mid-pipe, two small ones and one large (see photos). Are these supposed to be there or is this some sort of defect?? Any responses from those who have direct experience with this system would be much appreciated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

I'd be freakin' PISSED.
      01-21-2010, 12:57 AM   #3
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
They are there BY DESIGN. It is quite freaky when you see them, like some guy just bang on your exhaust against the wall or something. But when you look at your stock exhaust, there are indents too to clear various things, like the diff housing...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:15 AM   #4
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akak1997 View Post
They are there BY DESIGN. It is quite freaky when you see them, like some guy just bang on your exhaust against the wall or something. But when you look at your stock exhaust, there are indents too to clear various things, like the diff housing...
+1

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
I'd be freakin' PISSED.
You'd be angry that your exhaust arrive in the exact form it was designed/created? I'd be pretty happy.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

I have the same exhaust and the same indents. The fact that there are indents on the stock and the PE obviously means they are there on purpose for whatever reason.
      01-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
enigma135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 SG/Coral 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
+1
+2

Had the same concerns, Evan at Tischer showed me another one with the same indents, and assured me they are supposed to be there. Enjoy your new exhaust
      01-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Indents

Quote:
Just got confirmation from Evan at Tischer BMW, that this is the way the system ships from BMW, so apparently it IS by design (assume for clearance issues). But it does give you a shock if you are not expecting the pipe to look that way. Having exhaust system and BMW performance tuning kit installed starting today, so I am glad I resolved my concerns. I will post my impressions of both exhaust and tuning kit, when I get the car back.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
BroDoze
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
You'd be angry that your exhaust arrive in the exact form it was designed/created? I'd be pretty happy.
Depending on how much HP you're wanting to squeeze out of the car, I wouldn't want any pinching on my pipes. What's the point of paying $1K for mandrel bent this and that, only to have, what look to be, fairly sizable irregularities in the exaust flow.

Anybody else not find this strange? Ok, if it's by design, but then I'd question the design...

You won't see that in Maddad or any other performance exhausts...
      01-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
Depending on how much HP you're wanting to squeeze out of the car, I wouldn't want any pinching on my pipes. What's the point of paying $1K for mandrel bent this and that, only to have, what look to be, fairly sizable irregularities in the exaust flow.

Anybody else not find this strange? Ok, if it's by design, but then I'd question the design...

You won't see that in Maddad or any other performance exhausts...
Do you really think companies like Maddad have the kind of R&D money BMW does? Budget aside, BMW BUILT this engine, they know it better than any vendor could ever hope. Obviously BMW wouldn't do it if there wasn't a reason for it. Why would they go through the trouble of putting in the dents if there was no reason for it?

How much HP loss do you think these dents cause?

Bottom line, he got exactly what he ordered, the dents have been discussed many times before. There's no reason he should be pissed about it like you suggested.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
BroDoze
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
Do you really think companies like Maddad have the kind of R&D money BMW does? Budget aside, BMW BUILT this engine, they know it better than any vendor could ever hope. Obviously BMW wouldn't do it if there wasn't a reason for it. Why would they go through the trouble of putting in the dents if there was no reason for it?

How much HP loss do you think these dents cause?

Bottom line, he got exactly what he ordered, the dents have been discussed many times before. There's no reason he should be pissed about it like you suggested.
And has the BMW Perf exhaust been accurately dyno'd for real gains vs. stock and others?
      01-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Jeez it's just an exhaust

Those dents are German Engineered to provide just the right amount of back-pressure....I even added some aftermarket dents to mine to make it *special*..

Enjoy the new exhaust you will love the gurgle, especially at start-up...
      01-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
1malt
Private
Rep
Drives: Blue Water Metalic 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Those dents are German Engineered to provide just the right amount of back-pressure....I even added some aftermarket dents to mine to make it *special*..

Enjoy the new exhaust you will love the gurgle, especially at start-up...
Special dent, I gotta get me some of those
      01-23-2010, 07:21 PM   #14
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

LOL...indeed...I did notice the stock exhaust does have some dents.
Had the BMW Factory Sport Exhaust installed last week. Nice unit, and yes it does sound good on start-up. The car is still fairly quiet especially with the windows up. I did notice a slight drone at 60-65 mph when the car is lugging in 6th gear. Also i did notice the exhaust sticks out a bit more than stock because it was designed to be used with the sport diffuser.....which i am ordering from ICarbon next week...All in all a nice exhaust....Not nearly as loud as my CP-E TBE i had on my last car......but with this puppy, i will NEVER go off warranty...toooooo many problems going that route on my last ride...say what you want about some dealers being mod friendly.....they are till something major happens then you are at there mercy....never again.....so BMW and Dinan for now....
Appreciate 0