BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #23
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

An amazing week in Monterey:
http://blogs.motortrend.com/6230547/...m3s/index.html

We're up in Monterey, California for Day 2 of BMW's Group Press Event 2008, a week long binge on all things Bavarian Motor Werken'. To give you a taste of just how insane BMW is -- they have essentially taken over the entire Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, filled it with over 100 automotive journalists from the U.S. and Canada and stuffed the parking garage with Minis and BMWs -- 120 test vehicles in all.

The part that makes us drool is the thirty M3 sedans and coupes they've gathered together. That's right 3-0, all six-speed manuals, all brand spankin' new and all just begging to be caned mercilessly on the fantastic Carmel Valley Road and world famous Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

As you know by now, the all new 2008 M3 has apparently "sold out" once again -- pissing off purists with not only a return to the sedan (and convertible) but by adding another two cylinders. Just when the purists were starting to speak in hushed reverence about the sanctity of the E46 M3's 3.2 inline-six, too. Good grief, almighty.

With the power button on, the M3 can buck like a cattle-prodded bull on the streets and demands your full attention for smooth shifting. Unlike the M-button on the M5, the discreet button on the M3's center console doesn't give you full power -- you have that all the time -- it just dramatically sharpens the throttle response. And it doesn't matter where you are; push it while at steady throttle on the freeway, and you can feel the car tighten up -- clench its glutes, if you will, as though poised to sprint.

It's an apt description, because if you hammer the power button and throttle sequential you will indeed be charging full speed to the roar of eight pistons at 8400 rpm.

Ease off and switch off, and the M3 becomes a pretty good city car. In the base model, without the three mode Electronic Damping Control (EDC) suspension system, the ride is touch tight and jouncy, but in no way of endangering a case of Trader Joe's 2 Buck Chuck and bags blue corn tortilla chips stashed in the trunk.

Different story if you start womping the M3 on the twisties as we did on Monterey's famously winding Carmel Valley Road. In three turns, any wine and chips in the trunk rapidly became purple slurry -- anything not tied down was launched airborne. This includes Blackberries and iPhones helplessly stashed in the M3's inconveniently shallow cubbies.

Secure articles before taking off and the M3 is a scream -- particularly fully-loaded versions with EDC and the M-dynamic system. Double tapping the EDC button so that two lights come on puts the M3 in its stiffest, sportiest suspension mode. Perfect for smooth country roads or racetracks -- brutal on anything less than well maintained pavement. I found myself accelerating through a flat squiggly section of three smooth left-rights in a row, so immersed in the experience that only when the road straightened again did I exhale, finally remembering to breathe.

Like most cars, base M3s come with a Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), a nanny that reels you in when you start to get naughty. BMW's DSC is like any other, nothing particularly sporty or forgiving about it. For that, you need the option M Drive system, with M Dynamic Mode (MDM). Pressing a small M button on the steering wheel activates your own personal settings of all of the M3s complicated subsystems -- including the throttle response (power button), EDC, active steering system, and a sportier level of DSC, MDM. BMW claims MDM is perfect for the track, since it allows for a more wheel slip and yaw angle.

And to a certain degree this is true. We got a chance to hammer various M3 sedans and coupes, with and without M Drive, for ten laps around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca -- a real eye opener.

Before hitting the track, I was certain all I needed was a base M3, sans the optional EDC and M-Drive systems. But after fiddling with the various button combinations, I began to see the light.

Without MDM, the base M3 is either hairy-chested track rat or a milquetoast pansywagon, all thanks to DSC. With DSC on, there is little joy to be had in corners. Too hot, a little yaw, and suddenly you're throttled back and understeering. Click it off, however, and you better know what you're doing because the M3 will rotate as commanded, if not by you, then by the laws of physics.

With M Drive's MDM system, there is that in-between setting. There wasn't enough time to figure out exactly what the limits were, but they seemed pretty high. You can exit corners fast and tail out, and the system seems to avoid defaulting to massive fun sucking understeer whenever possible. So would I take it? Grudgingly yes, and I'll tell you why later.

Beyond the M Drive epiphanies, the track drive offered only a few insights that we didn't already pick up from Carmel Valley Road. It bears repeating that the M3 is damn impressive and clearly the product of guys who got only As in physics and math. It's also interesting to note that the powerdome hood can sometimes make track placement an issue -- particularly trying to hit Laguna's corkscrew apex when you're flying down a right/left and trying to see over the hood bump. Brakes also pulled unevenly under some of the harder stops, but I'd chalk that up to how hard we drove these cars.

Other surprises and complaints from my first run through of an M3:
I thought I'd like the gearbox more. The throws are longish and clutch uptake is a bit high. Positives are that the engagement is solid and reassuring; feels like the trans would last through more than its fair share of drag launches.

I also understand what boss man MacKenzie meant about the slightly vague feeling from the active steering system. This is not the feel-every-asphalt-pebble steering system you may be expecting. It is a tad numb and just off center, with less effort and precision than I remember from previous M3s. It's still very good; it's just a tad bit less -- direct, precise, involving -- than it used to be.

Rear seat room is a surprise; not at all compromised by the M3 sport seats. I sat behind 6 foot 2 inch Gleason as he took our sedan for a spin and found inches legroom at my knees-and I'm a short torso, long-limbed freak. That is packaging genius and gives this car some serious everyday practicality.

As for the one I'd take home -- I'm an enthusiast and I'd take the M3 with M-dynamic mode and EDC. Yes they are expensive options, but my philosophy is, if you can afford them, better to have then have not. If you get to the point where you don't need them, just turn them off. The systems provide a margin of safety and fun.

If I could, I'd opt for the iDrive delete option and wouldn't upgrade the leather to fancy Novillo stuff. I think the cloth and leather option is handsome and practical -- the cloth covered lower seat areas hold you better and hey, they spare at least a few Bessies.

Oh and as for the paint -- make mine white or black, or even Interlagos blue. Just don't give me red. I don't need all the tickets, I mean, attention an M3 would bring.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #24
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

How do I get high res pictures?
      02-14-2008, 12:26 AM   #25
kobezklutch
wants a new 1er
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
An amazing week in Monterey:
http://blogs.motortrend.com/6230547/...m3s/index.html

We're up in Monterey, California for Day 2 of BMW's Group Press Event 2008, a week long binge on all things Bavarian Motor Werken'. To give you a taste of just how insane BMW is -- they have essentially taken over the entire Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, filled it with over 100 automotive journalists from the U.S. and Canada and stuffed the parking garage with Minis and BMWs -- 120 test vehicles in all.

The part that makes us drool is the thirty M3 sedans and coupes they've gathered together. That's right 3-0, all six-speed manuals, all brand spankin' new and all just begging to be caned mercilessly on the fantastic Carmel Valley Road and world famous Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

As you know by now, the all new 2008 M3 has apparently "sold out" once again -- pissing off purists with not only a return to the sedan (and convertible) but by adding another two cylinders. Just when the purists were starting to speak in hushed reverence about the sanctity of the E46 M3's 3.2 inline-six, too. Good grief, almighty.

With the power button on, the M3 can buck like a cattle-prodded bull on the streets and demands your full attention for smooth shifting. Unlike the M-button on the M5, the discreet button on the M3's center console doesn't give you full power -- you have that all the time -- it just dramatically sharpens the throttle response. And it doesn't matter where you are; push it while at steady throttle on the freeway, and you can feel the car tighten up -- clench its glutes, if you will, as though poised to sprint.

It's an apt description, because if you hammer the power button and throttle sequential you will indeed be charging full speed to the roar of eight pistons at 8400 rpm.

Ease off and switch off, and the M3 becomes a pretty good city car. In the base model, without the three mode Electronic Damping Control (EDC) suspension system, the ride is touch tight and jouncy, but in no way of endangering a case of Trader Joe's 2 Buck Chuck and bags blue corn tortilla chips stashed in the trunk.

Different story if you start womping the M3 on the twisties as we did on Monterey's famously winding Carmel Valley Road. In three turns, any wine and chips in the trunk rapidly became purple slurry -- anything not tied down was launched airborne. This includes Blackberries and iPhones helplessly stashed in the M3's inconveniently shallow cubbies.

Secure articles before taking off and the M3 is a scream -- particularly fully-loaded versions with EDC and the M-dynamic system. Double tapping the EDC button so that two lights come on puts the M3 in its stiffest, sportiest suspension mode. Perfect for smooth country roads or racetracks -- brutal on anything less than well maintained pavement. I found myself accelerating through a flat squiggly section of three smooth left-rights in a row, so immersed in the experience that only when the road straightened again did I exhale, finally remembering to breathe.

Like most cars, base M3s come with a Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), a nanny that reels you in when you start to get naughty. BMW's DSC is like any other, nothing particularly sporty or forgiving about it. For that, you need the option M Drive system, with M Dynamic Mode (MDM). Pressing a small M button on the steering wheel activates your own personal settings of all of the M3s complicated subsystems -- including the throttle response (power button), EDC, active steering system, and a sportier level of DSC, MDM. BMW claims MDM is perfect for the track, since it allows for a more wheel slip and yaw angle.

And to a certain degree this is true. We got a chance to hammer various M3 sedans and coupes, with and without M Drive, for ten laps around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca -- a real eye opener.

Before hitting the track, I was certain all I needed was a base M3, sans the optional EDC and M-Drive systems. But after fiddling with the various button combinations, I began to see the light.

Without MDM, the base M3 is either hairy-chested track rat or a milquetoast pansywagon, all thanks to DSC. With DSC on, there is little joy to be had in corners. Too hot, a little yaw, and suddenly you're throttled back and understeering. Click it off, however, and you better know what you're doing because the M3 will rotate as commanded, if not by you, then by the laws of physics.

With M Drive's MDM system, there is that in-between setting. There wasn't enough time to figure out exactly what the limits were, but they seemed pretty high. You can exit corners fast and tail out, and the system seems to avoid defaulting to massive fun sucking understeer whenever possible. So would I take it? Grudgingly yes, and I'll tell you why later.

Beyond the M Drive epiphanies, the track drive offered only a few insights that we didn't already pick up from Carmel Valley Road. It bears repeating that the M3 is damn impressive and clearly the product of guys who got only As in physics and math. It's also interesting to note that the powerdome hood can sometimes make track placement an issue -- particularly trying to hit Laguna's corkscrew apex when you're flying down a right/left and trying to see over the hood bump. Brakes also pulled unevenly under some of the harder stops, but I'd chalk that up to how hard we drove these cars.

Other surprises and complaints from my first run through of an M3:
I thought I'd like the gearbox more. The throws are longish and clutch uptake is a bit high. Positives are that the engagement is solid and reassuring; feels like the trans would last through more than its fair share of drag launches.

I also understand what boss man MacKenzie meant about the slightly vague feeling from the active steering system. This is not the feel-every-asphalt-pebble steering system you may be expecting. It is a tad numb and just off center, with less effort and precision than I remember from previous M3s. It's still very good; it's just a tad bit less -- direct, precise, involving -- than it used to be.

Rear seat room is a surprise; not at all compromised by the M3 sport seats. I sat behind 6 foot 2 inch Gleason as he took our sedan for a spin and found inches legroom at my knees-and I'm a short torso, long-limbed freak. That is packaging genius and gives this car some serious everyday practicality.

As for the one I'd take home -- I'm an enthusiast and I'd take the M3 with M-dynamic mode and EDC. Yes they are expensive options, but my philosophy is, if you can afford them, better to have then have not. If you get to the point where you don't need them, just turn them off. The systems provide a margin of safety and fun.

If I could, I'd opt for the iDrive delete option and wouldn't upgrade the leather to fancy Novillo stuff. I think the cloth and leather option is handsome and practical -- the cloth covered lower seat areas hold you better and hey, they spare at least a few Bessies.

Oh and as for the paint -- make mine white or black, or even Interlagos blue. Just don't give me red. I don't need all the tickets, I mean, attention an M3 would bring.

thanks for the AWESOME review!!! ....now how to get around the 55k price tag, hmmmm....
      02-14-2008, 12:27 AM   #26
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
How do I get high res pictures?
They are coming!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 12:33 AM   #27
gbridger
BF Founder
Rep
Drives: E46 or E28

A few more:

You can see the rest here: BimmerFile: M3 vs 135i in Photos

BTW had dinner with the M brand manager for the US and the lead engineer who created the E90 M3 tonight. We talked at length about the possibility of an M1. The short answer... don't hold your breath.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 12:35 AM   #28
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
No coupe for you? I thought that the M3 sedan looked pretty good but the M3 coupe is literally breathtaking. Of course, YMMV.
Yeah, new M3 coupe is a classic all the way. Honestly, the M3 sedan just looks boring. Both the Audi RS4 and the M5 look better than the Sedan. But the coupe is truly something special.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 01:29 AM   #29
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe View Post

BTW had dinner with the M brand manager for the US and the lead engineer who created the E90 M3 tonight. We talked at length about the possibility of an M1. The short answer... don't hold your breath.
This is exactly what I would expect any BMW official to say at a Press Event which is featuring the new M3.

I am holding my breath..............
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 07:02 AM   #30
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

i think the M3 has that "shark" look to it but in my opinion the 135's stance and front end look more powerful. Now drop the 1 slightly and then i think the 1 will look overall better then the M3. Dont get me wrong, that M3 is just pure sex on wheels though, especially in AW.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 07:08 AM   #31
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

dna550 - thanks - and I'm exceptionally jealous. ; -) Did you get a chance to run the Laureles Grade?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #32
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 M135i

That Crimson red looks stunning! Almost like Imola.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #33
gbridger
BF Founder
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
This is exactly what I would expect any BMW official to say at a Press Event which is featuring the new M3.

It's also featuring the 1 Series. And the underlining opinion you could hear in their voices was that the 135i was simply already a great car and to make it into a true M car would be very hard without getting into M3 pricing territory ($50k +).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #34
E82Pocketrocket
Rep
Drives:

Mmmm, Crimson makes my mouth water....
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #35
MihaSLO
Private
Rep
Drives:

Don't get me wrong, M3 is a beautiful machine, high-power rocket, but i a have seen it at dealer in AW, but it just isn't what M3 suppose to be.

135i on the other hand, looks like very refined E30 M3, like a hot-rod, something special.
Maybe i'm the only one who thinks that way, but 135 just feel right the way it is, because pics don't do it justice.

The rear end is juat magnificient, you have to see it in real ife.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #36
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
It's also featuring the 1 Series. And the underlining opinion you could hear in their voices was that the 135i was simply already a great car and to make it into a true M car would be very hard without getting into M3 pricing territory ($50k +).
I think that's why many of us, including myself, were really looking forward to a production tii version that, as rumor had it, would have a four-pot turbo. With that engine, you could have the focused dynamics without infringing on the M cars both in terms of price and performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna550
Ditto.
      02-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #37
gbridger
BF Founder
Rep

Quote:
I think that's why many of us, including myself, were really looking forward to a production tii version that, as rumor had it, would have a four-pot turbo. With that engine, you could have the focused dynamics without infringing on the M cars both in terms of price and performance.
Thats exactly the concept we spoke about. For the record we pushed hard for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #38
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
In my mind, this is an M3!
Attached Images

02-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #39
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
thanks for all you are reporting! :thumbup:

but you gotta wonder why they would say anything different when they are rolling out two models. it seems to me this is the type of thing you'd hear about in a year or two but not now.
      02-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #40
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskurn View Post
In my mind, this is an M3!
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #41
Endgame
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKSC27 View Post
i think the M3 has that "shark" look to it but in my opinion the 135's stance and front end look more powerful. Now drop the 1 slightly and then i think the 1 will look overall better then the M3. Dont get me wrong, that M3 is just pure sex on wheels though, especially in AW.

This pic really gave me an idea of what the 135 would look like lowered. This just look mean....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #42
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
Fabulous! Hopefully the BMW guys will give us a much more focused 1er iteration.

Now, most of this is putting the car before the horse as I have not yet driven the 135i so, for all I know, in my hands the 135i may not need to be more focused. I will be eagerly awaiting your review Gabe to see what you think of the car.
      02-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #43
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Fabulous! Hopefully the BMW guys will give us a much more focused 1er iteration.

Now, most of this is putting the car before the horse as I have not yet driven the 135i so, for all I know, in my hands the 135i may not need to be more focused. I will be eagerly awaiting your review Gabe to see what you think of the car.
A small part of me REALLY wants to wait for the ''performance 1.'' You have no idea. Its such a struggle for me. I mean it would be more focused AND look more badass from the factory. I mean there isnt anything wrong with my s2k. I got 27mpg on my last tank of gas....WEIRD. Its been super-reliable. I dont know man...i really dont.
      02-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #44
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
A small part of me REALLY wants to wait for the ''performance 1.'' You have no idea. Its such a struggle for me. I mean it would be more focused AND look more badass from the factory. I mean there isnt anything wrong with my s2k. I got 27mpg on my last tank of gas....WEIRD. Its been super-reliable. I dont know man...i really dont.
Same boat... same boat. When I bought my MINI, I intentionally got a very lightly equipped model so that I could spend my cash customizing it and making it my own. But, I don't want to start customizing things and then hear that there will be a very focused 1er coming out. It's a tough world we live in...