BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
rbdazzled
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

N54 mechanic in SE QLD

Anyone know of a mechanic preferably around the Gold Coast that has a lot of experience with N54 motors? It worries me when no one that I go to has worked on a car like mine and say they'll give it a go. Could end up being very expensive that way.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 01:07 AM   #2
Eric82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbdazzled View Post
Anyone know of a mechanic preferably around the Gold Coast that has a lot of experience with N54 motors? It worries me when no one that I go to has worked on a car like mine and say they'll give it a go. Could end up being very expensive that way.
Hey Bud Im @ banyo on the northside, might be too far for you, but I own a 135i and dave one of the other mechanics owns a 135i as well we know them pretty well. if that helps
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
loco
Private
Rep
Drives: Grey 135i

They always come up on this subject, but Brisbane Motor Workshop at Coorparoo are pretty damn good. They only work on BMWs and Minis and look after my N54 and N55.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #4
gcbm
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0i, e82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbdazzled View Post
Bob Love (ex BMW Tech) at Nerang Euro is your man . Have been taking my BMWs to him since I moved here in 2001.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #5
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Accelerate Automotive at Coopers Plains have experience in these engines as do Prestige & Performance at Coorparoo.

Are you looking at basic work or bigger jobs like a built engine?
      10-15-2015, 06:49 PM   #6
rbdazzled
Private
Rep

Cheers guys.

Currently I was thinking about fitting downpipe, tried myself but the steering rack seemed to be an issue and wasn't sure how much I could pull it out.

The nerang guy told me not to change the dumps so that kind of rules him out. Want to find someone that does these often and knows what they're doing to make it quick and easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM e82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulook View Post
Take your car to Rencal

http://rencalmotors.net.au/

Vince the owner drives a 135i and knows a lot about the engines

They also offer a loan car if needed.

Agreed
Either rencal or bris motor works will be your best bets
The guy at nerang sounds like every other old crusty mechanic I've ever had the displeasure of coming across
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #8
rbdazzled
Private
Rep

Yeah cheers. My mechanic is really good but has never worked on one so that's why I'm thinking someone else, but in terms of everyother performance work he has done, he was top knotch and fair on price. Decisions Decisions
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #9
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirst
Quote:
Originally Posted by yulook View Post
Take your car to Rencal

http://rencalmotors.net.au/

Vince the owner drives a 135i and knows a lot about the engines

They also offer a loan car if needed.

Agreed
Either rencal or bris motor works will be your best bets
The guy at nerang sounds like every other old crusty mechanic I've ever had the displeasure of coming across
I had not heard of RenCal before. How long have they been around & what's their background?

Re Brisbane Motor Works - I've never been there myself but have heard mixed reviews. Are they under the same management? Always been good for you?
      10-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #10
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJustin View Post
I had not heard of RenCal before. How long have they been around & what's their background?

Re Brisbane Motor Works - I've never been there myself but have heard mixed reviews. Are they under the same management? Always been good for you?
I find them a bit hit or miss. But they certainly do a better job than the dealership. Everything's no fuss and they're pretty decently priced
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #11
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:

yep, Lance is still at Brisbane Motor Works. I've never heard anything other than positives, and only have good things to say myself about the work+prices.

Rencal has been around a while, and i've heard a lot of good things about their work, but believe they're also on the more expensive side

Don't think they have TOO much experience on N54's either.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 12:24 AM   #12
kOncept
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:

I've heard that Vince from Rencal was once the master mechanic at Audi.

They are definitely not on the cheap side but level of service is above average.

They have a modded 135i shop car and on the day I took my car in there were 2 x 1Ms, 3 x 335is and 1 x 135i. So I'd say they're pretty familiar with the N54 platform.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #13
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

I have been going to PRESTIDGE AND PERFORMANCE at Coorparoo for years
They are very good, but there prices are creeping up.
I decided to go to Lance at BRISBANE MOTOR WORKS at Coorparoo to do a oil change and install a new water pump and thermostat which I supplied.
Excellent job and pricing was very good, he is going to do my back brakes shortly, I supply the parts.
Lance has a BMW and is in the BMW CLUB and talks a lot on BMW facebook so he's reputation got to be good.
      10-19-2015, 10:44 PM   #14
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Thanks for the detail guys. Sounds like there are a few extra N54 mechanics we should keep in mind. I hear 101Motorsports are also well versed on the N54/N55 platforms & building custom single turbo kits.

Apart from BPS, what Brisbane workshops offer custom tunes (Cobb etc) for our engines? We don't seem to have the choices that down south do with Advan etc.
      10-20-2015, 05:37 AM   #15
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
I decided to go to Lance at BRISBANE MOTOR WORKS at Coorparoo to do a oil change and install a new water pump and thermostat which I supplied.
Excellent job and pricing was very good, he is going to do my back brakes shortly, I supply the parts.
Lance has a BMW and is in the BMW CLUB and talks a lot on BMW facebook so he's reputation got to be good.
Lol most of us are in the bmw club qld
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 06:15 AM   #16
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Thanks for the detail guys. Sounds like there are a few extra N54 mechanics we should keep in mind. I hear 101Motorsports are also well versed on the N54/N55 platforms & building custom single turbo kits.

Apart from BPS, what Brisbane workshops offer custom tunes (Cobb etc) for our engines? We don't seem to have the choices that down south do with Advan etc.
yeah 101 would have to have a clue, given like you say they've got 2 with singles on them, and building them with port injection etc.

re: tuning.. wouldn't trust any local shops to tune them personally, not one.. the advances that are coming through lately, unless they're tuning them VERY regularly.. just not going to be as good as companies like Motiv/PTF in the states unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 07:49 AM   #17
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
yeah 101 would have to have a clue, given like you say they've got 2 with singles on them, and building them with port injection etc.

re: tuning.. wouldn't trust any local shops to tune them personally, not one.. the advances that are coming through lately, unless they're tuning them VERY regularly.. just not going to be as good as companies like Motiv/PTF in the states unfortunately.
Didn't even read about tuning

Yeah don't get any tuning done in qld. Bunch of numpties. You're much better off with PTF/Motiv etc
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 12:07 AM   #18
kOncept
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
I've used Prestige and Performance in the past, the last time I used them was after they quoted me a price to do the work but when I went to pick up the car the price suddenly increased by an extra 50%...

Some workshops will call and ask whether you want to go ahead considering the extra cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 07:33 PM   #19
rbdazzled
Private
Rep

On another note, anyone got the walnut blasting equipment that wants to rent it out for some fee or potentially want to make some extra income and help me do it?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 01:31 AM   #20
pdaw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

I can also vouch for Bob Love of Nerang Euro. I drive down from Brisbane to use him.
Appreciate 0