BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #67
jbarzelatto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Lemans

silicone couplers keep popping out

i am having some problems with this 5" intercooler on my n55.

the turbo outlet pipe is poping off the silicone coupler that goes to the intercooler inlet. is anyone having this problem? I have tightened it several times, with alot of torque. its as if the plastic tubing is bending, but thats hard since it has a metal ring inside. please help if anyone has had this issue.

Name:  asdf.png
Views: 1224
Size:  612.8 KB

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #68
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
The t-bolt has to be placed before the lip on the plastic pipe, not on top of it. Also wipe off any grease or lubricant that may have made it's way on both contact surfaces (pipe and coupler)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #69
Ghent
Topless Speed
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Convertible

I noted on the website that this states it is only good up to the 2012 model year. Did something change with the 2013?
Quafle LSD 3.46
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #70
jbarzelatto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

clip difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
The t-bolt has to be placed before the lip on the plastic pipe, not on top of it. Also wipe off any grease or lubricant that may have made it's way on both contact surfaces (pipe and coupler)
Hi Tiago, how are ya?

I did what you told me, but as I told you via email, the silicone coupler seems too short to get a good grip on both this tube and the intercooler. this causes the coupler to be very tight so it is tense. So this brings me to my next concern. The conection between the turbo and the plastic oem tube seems to have a small separation. Another friend said he a similar separation, as you can see in the picture attached.

Name:  IMG-20150115-WA0035.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  76.3 KB

I observed when I removed the pipe, that the clip is different from the one that shows on the ECS webpage that they sell.

The clip I have has this shape.
Name:  clip.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  27.1 KB

But the clip I see on the page is the following shape, please note the top how it seals the top, right where the separation in mine exists.
Name:  clip corect.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  37.4 KB

Do I have the wrong clip? and does anyone know where I can get the correct clip, cant find it anywhere.

thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #71
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
not sure about your clip, but I do remember having an issue with the silicone piping being too short when installing a different brand intercooler. This is what worked for me:

1. first install the silicon hose onto the factory plastic pipe, and slide it on just so the amount of hose over the pipe is the same width as your hose clamp. in other words, when the hose clamp is against the bead of the pipe the other edge of the hose clamp is even with the edge of the silicone hose. then fully tighten the hose clamp.

2. install intercooler and slide the other end of the silicon hose onto the intercooler. you should be able to pull it on just enough where the hose clamp edge will be parallel to the silicone hose edge when the hose clamp is next to the bead on the intercooler.

the reason why this worked for me is, there is a little bit of play in the factory pipe connected to the turbo, and tightening the silicone hose clamp on the pipe side first holds it in place, and allows you to pull the silicone hose further down on the intercooler because you can take advantage of the additional play. if that doesn't work, maybe the silicone hose really is too short! good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #72
jbarzelatto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Aftermarket Boost Pipe?

Hey guys! So this problem is persisting, always has, and I am writing again because I have noticed that there are options for BOOST PIPE in the market. Just the same way that metal charge pipes appeared on the market because they were failing, now we see that some guys are making BOOST PIPES.

To solve the problem with your intercooler, I made a sort of extension so I had more space, but in track days, it would slide any way. So do you have a solution for this, or experience with these boost pipes? Please let me know because I am changing my engine, so its a good chance to do this.

There are many intercoolers in the market that maintain the same style of clip, but they are very expensive. Thats why I opted for VRSF which is cheaper, and good quality, but fails to have a sturdy attachment on the intercooler side.

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0