BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #23
Blue55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

I've got Apps and the phone working just fine. Texts not yet. I cannot get audio to work over BT, but not a big deal since it works well over USB.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #24
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
On a related note, does the iPhone 5 work with our cradle, or do you need to buy a new cradle (imagine if so it hasn't been released). May be the difference in me getting the 5 as it essentially doubles the cost.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #25
swimfreak
Orange Crush
Rep
Drives: fun!!!

Question for those with the iPhone 5 and BMW Apps/Nav. Does the Plugin work when using the Lightning->USB cable under ConnectedDrive? I only get music through the USB if I go through the CD/External Device menu, not the ConnectedDrive/Plugin menu, it says no compatible plugin device found. I only ask because the ConnectedDrive menu is nicer, with more intuitive features, the External Device menu is more generic. But I can't figure out why one would work, and not the other.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #26
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfreak
Question for those with the iPhone 5 and BMW Apps/Nav. Does the Plugin work when using the Lightning->USB cable under ConnectedDrive? I only get music through the USB if I go through the CD/External Device menu, not the ConnectedDrive/Plugin menu, it says no compatible plugin device found. I only ask because the ConnectedDrive menu is nicer, with more intuitive features, the External Device menu is more generic. But I can't figure out why one would work, and not the other.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
Plugin only works with the media cradle and telephone USB option. This has been the case for previous iPhones.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #27
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
The lack of video out on the lightning adapter is only applicable if you plug the iphone 5 into the Snap In, which supports video out ("Activate Plug-in"). Since we can't physically plug the iphone 5 into the iphone 3/4 snap in, the lack of video out won't bother us...
So when you say "video out won't bother us..." are you implying there will never be a iphone 5 snap-in cradle? Don't you think that whatever the reason, the loss of video playback capability would bother those who use it currently?
      10-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #28
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

In my testing I can get both Apps to work along with texts. BT audio also works. However when I switch from say USB to BT and back it's all bets are off. I have tried this several times and it's not easy to get things going again. Just hooking up the iPhone using USB brings up a message saying it must turn off BT Audio.

Turning BT Audio back on is several menus deep. Then switching back to USB my Apps won't work. Must turn car off, reboot phone and start over. Using both is very problematic. I would say just use the BT Audio, yet the sound quality is Much better through USB along with better overall integration of iPhone menus.

Overall pretty poor setup.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #29
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post
So when you say "video out won't bother us..." are you implying there will never be a iphone 5 snap-in cradle? Don't you think that whatever the reason, the loss of video playback capability would bother those who use it currently?
You misunderstood.

If you have an iPhone 5, there's only two ways to get video out. You plug the lightning cable into the USB slot and you're good to go. (I'm assuming this works, I never tried... But my main point was the following: )

Second way to get video out is to plug the iPhone 5 into the snap in dock adapter in the arm rest. Obviously, this is impossible right now (If you plan to close your arm rest), since the iPhone 5 is larger than the existing iPhone snap ins (Which are meant for an iPhone 3 and an iPhone 4). So if you were hoping to use one of the "30 pin adapters" on the iPhone 5 to plug into the snap in, you wouldn't be able to do this since the phone won't physically fit anyway.

So, my point is, the lack of video out on the ADAPTER doesn't matter, because you won't be able to plug your phone + adapter into the CURRENT snap in anyway.

If you need video out, you would just use the included USB cable that came with the iPhone 5 (Which should work on newer cars).

If you have an older style 2 cable (USB + Aux) cable, the adapter won't give you video out.. But again, you can just plug into the USB port with the proper cable...

Hope that makes sense... Sorry for long winded post.

Edit: I should mention that according to rumours, BMW WILL release an iPhone 5 snap in early next year... So there WILL Be a way to plug your iPhone 5 directly into your car. Remember that this video out limitation ONLY exists for the adapter/converter, not native lightning adapters/snap in modules.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #30
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

I plugged in the Lightening-USB cable that came with the iPhone 5 and the error message says "This cable is not supported".
I don't have iDrive. It came with a Y-splitter cable (30-pin -> USB / audio).
I heard the Lightning <-> 30-pin adapter won't work.
Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #31
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK
I plugged in the Lightening-USB cable that came with the iPhone 5 and the error message says "This cable is not supported".
I heard the Lightning &lt;-> 30-pin adapter won't work.
Any tips?
The 30 pin adapter will work for music... Just not video. I use the adapter on our 09 M3 without issue.
      12-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #32
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
Agreed. Also, the LTE internet speed is great.

holy moly LTE is awesome. 4g is unimpressive. MASSIVE difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #33
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
I heard the Lightning <-> 30-pin adapter won't work.
Any tips?

I am using my iphone 5 with the lightning cable. it works the same as in the past using the regular cable and the iphone4. I did once get an error message.. but it works correctly 98% of the time.

Occasionally, even titles from my songs on Pandora will show in the display.

I have USB/Bluetooth, and I do not have Idrive.

thiis is actually a SEPARATE item.. because it works with the phone NOT connected...

The new google maps will actually send directions to the stereo via BLUETOOTH, even when the stereo is OFF. It wakes up, announces the direction... and turns back off. if the radio is on, it mutes the audio temporarily and gives the direction. VERY COOL.

Also.. pressing the button for SIRI also activates bluetooth.
Appreciate 0