BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Help need on BMW Performance Steering Wheel v2

So I went and did the install of this steering wheel myself

All and all the install went ok for the most part, so than what is the problem?

Situation: When I start the car I get the amber yellow brake light come on and the amber triangle with a ! in the middle with the round arrow around it lights up. If I start to drive for a bit the lights go away and after about 30 MPH or so they come back on.

Looks kind of light this: (stole picture for another thread and will try this solution but I have a 6MT)

Problem 1): The Code that the car is spitting out is 5E40. Meaning CAN signal from Steering wheel angle sensor not plausible.

Problem 2): when I make right turns, the turn signal does not stop on its own. It keeps on blinking and I have to manually shut it off.

Problem 3): When I turned the steering wheel in any direction it clicks alot?

Any help or input would be appreciated, thanks a lot everyone
      03-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Tried this fix yesterday:

get in car
start car
leave in park
turn wheel all the way to the left without stopping until the end and pause there 2 seconds
turn wheel all the way to right without stopping until the end and pause there for 2 seconds
repeat to the left 1 more time
return to center position.

Got it from here
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530262

Sadly it was not a success

I am still searching for solutions and just can not find anything. Might have to take it apart again but till than... doesn't anybody have any input?
      04-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Figured it out. Solved!
      04-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
audi4t
audi4t
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones
Figured it out. Solved!
Please tell the solution
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
cptJLPicard
F1 Fan
Rep
Drives: M2CS; F22/230i

Help need on BMW Performance Steering Wheel v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
Figured it out. Solved!
Could you please post the solution. I will install the SW next week...

Thanks,
George.
      11-12-2012, 03:07 AM   #6
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptJLPicard View Post
Could you please post the solution. I will install the SW next week...

Thanks,
George.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audi4t View Post
Please tell the solution
I posted the solution a while back in another thread. But here is it...

George.... follow these instructions for the SW install:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605284

And George.... this is where i found my solution:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244795

Scroll all the way down to step 14. Once you arrive their keep on scrolling down to the third picture. This picture has an arrow in it. What you don't see is the inner ring. This inner ring has another arrow in it and it moves around. This inner ring also has different length teeth that will match the slip ring.

What you have to make sure of is before you put the new slip ring on, make sure the outer arrow and in the arrow of the inner ring are pointing to each other.

Once I did that, I put everything back together, drove the car a couple of feet and all was well.

Also on another note, when you do the install.. make sure your tires are facing straight and that your steering wheel is at center. Also way behind the center console... you will see a tunnel that leads from the passenger side to the driver side. I used this tunnel to run the wires from the passenger side of the car to the drivers side.

Other than that have fun with the install.

Good luck
      11-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
cptJLPicard
F1 Fan
Rep

Quote:

Scroll all the way down to step 14. Once you arrive their keep on scrolling down to the third picture. This picture has an arrow in it. What you don't see is the inner ring. This inner ring has another arrow in it and it moves around. This inner ring also has different length teeth that will match the slip ring.

What you have to make sure of is before you put the new slip ring on, make sure the outer arrow and in the arrow of the inner ring are pointing to each other.

Once I did that, I put everything back together, drove the car a couple of feet and all was well.

Also on another note, when you do the install.. make sure your tires are facing straight and that your steering wheel is at center. Also way behind the center console... you will see a tunnel that leads from the passenger side to the driver side. I used this tunnel to run the wires from the passenger side of the car to the drivers side.

Good luck
Thanks much for the info! Got the sw yesterday and I'm getting ready to do the install today. I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous
      11-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
cptJLPicard
F1 Fan
Rep

I'm stuck

Accomplished: passenger side side connections completed; sw installed
Not done: could not figure out how/where to connect the open A1+A2 wires. If the connector that I'm looking at is indeed the x13376, then mine has only 26 pins, not 41, and does not have the GN/BR and the BR/SW.

Where did you connect? A picture maybe showing the connector in the car...

From what I understand, the 2 wires are for power - can I connect them somewhere else, not to x13376? Which one is for + and which one for - ?

Quote:

Good luck
Quote:
Thanks much for the info! Got the sw yesterday and I'm getting ready to do the install today. I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous
      11-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm stuck

Accomplished: passenger side side connections completed; sw installed
Not done: could not figure out how/where to connect the open A1+A2 wires. If the connector that I'm looking at is indeed the x13376, then mine has only 26 pins, not 41, and does not have the GN/BR and the BR/SW.

Where did you connect? A picture maybe showing the connector in the car...

From what I understand, the 2 wires are for power - can I connect them somewhere else, not to x13376? Which one is for + and which one for - ?
yea.. that one took me a while to find as well. I am sure you can see where your OBD II port is. If you follow that wire a bit you will see that their is another box that has one very large connector and a another connection that is a ribbon connection. (this is on the same box)

It is there where you will find the X13376 connector and be able to tap into it with A1 and A2. The wires are there and the instructions are correct.

It is a very tight fit. The best picture is in the pdf that you can download from the link I gave you from the instructions that tell you how to install the steering wheel.
      11-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
cptJLPicard
F1 Fan
Rep

Quote:
yea.. that one took me a while to find as well. I am sure you can see where your OBD II port is. If you follow that wire a bit you will see that their is another box that has one very large connector and a another connection that is a ribbon connection. (this is on the same box)

It is there where you will find the X13376 connector and be able to tap into it with A1 and A2. The wires are there and the instructions are correct.

It is a very tight fit. The best picture is in the pdf that you can download from the link I gave you from the instructions that tell you how to install the steering wheel.
Found the connector but... pin1 is red, not gn/br! I do have a gn/br however, pin13. Did your pin match the color as in the pdf instructions?

Update: problem solved, it was my bad, I didn't press the G connectors enough... And for anyone wondering what pin I connected to, I did connect to pin1. Even though the color is different, pin1 is a Terminal 30g; pin13 is Terminal 15.
My new sw works like a charm!

Since I spent too much time finding the X plug, I took some pictures in case someone else has the same challenge.
Attached Images

Last edited by cptJLPicard; 05-11-2013 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Udate
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Found the connector but... pin1 is red, not gn/br! I do have a gn/br however, pin13. Did your pin matched the color as in the pdf instructions?

Update: problem solved, it was my bad, I didn't press the G connectors enough... My new sw works like a charm!

Since I spent too much time finding the X plug, I took some pictures in case someone else has the same challenge.
well done.... Mine did match as the instruction. Glad you got your steering wheel working. It is a fun little thing to have in the car.

I apologize that I have not been quick on my responses... I have not been home for a bit.

Thanks for adding the pictures.
      01-31-2022, 11:47 PM   #12
ahtim
Akrapovic HK
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: mostly NA, sometimes turbo

Quote:
Found the connector but... pin1 is red, not gn/br! I do have a gn/br however, pin13. Did your pin match the color as in the pdf instructions?

Update: problem solved, it was my bad, I didn't press the G connectors enough... And for anyone wondering what pin I connected to, I did connect to pin1. Even though the color is different, pin1 is a Terminal 30g; pin13 is Terminal 15.

Hi , I am installed psw 2 on my 1m by myself, I did check all connections twice, the first time I connect the a1 and a2 to the cigarette lighter and no light on steering wheel, and I changed the connection to obd port with brown and green, not working again, and I changed a1 and a2 to your way, but it doesn’t work too, no light on steering wheel and no strange light on dash

I did check to make sure all the cables I tested are actually connecting, Anyone what to do? My car is a euro spec 1m

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 03:52 AM   #13
ahtim
Akrapovic HK
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: mostly NA, sometimes turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtim View Post
Quote:

Hi , I am installed psw 2 on my 1m by myself, I did check all connections twice, the first time I connect the a1 and a2 to the cigarette lighter and no light on steering wheel, and I changed the connection to obd port with brown and green, not working again, and I changed a1 and a2 to your way, but it doesn’t work too, no light on steering wheel and no strange light on dash

I did check to make sure all the cables I tested are actually connecting, Anyone what to do? My car is a euro spec 1m

Thanks in advance
I am using auto wheel on my 1m, don't know if that would cause the problem
Appreciate 0