BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
pebblebeachguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M and '13 M5

Sept vs Oct Production

I am arranging for an ED with a choice of Sept or Oct production. Any changes being made in October?

My pick up date in Munich would either be the last week in September or October.

It would be great to be in Munich during the Octoberfest but at this late date it might me difficult to book reasonable lodging and not fight bad traffic during my week in the Munich areas.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

ED cars are usually built at least three weeks before your pickup date.

Traffic isn't that bad durring OktoberFest. Just avoid driving near the Fest Platz area.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
pebblebeachguy
United_States
Rep

If picked up in September, production would be the week of 9 Sept. If I select a late October delivery date they say the production date would probably move out a few weeks, perhaps into the first week of October.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Oktoberfest is actually in SEPTEMBER. Haven't been personally - but I hear nothing but awesome about it. DO IT.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

Id go before october 15th b.c after that you legally need winter tires in Bavaria (south east germany) so that would be an added expense
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
pebblebeachguy
United_States
Rep

Sounds like I will schedule an end of September delivery. Always waited to go.

Any recommendations on a reasonably priced place to stay in Munich during Octoberfest?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblebeachguy View Post
Sounds like I will schedule an end of September delivery. Always waited to go.

Any recommendations on a reasonably priced place to stay in Munich during Octoberfest?
good luck with that one! that's like asking for a reasonably priced hotel for Mardi Gras.. yeah...someplace about 35 mi out of New Orleans..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
pebblebeachguy
United_States
Rep

Fair enough. Where would you recommend staying....all things considered?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hasan546 View Post
Id go before october 15th b.c after that you legally need winter tires in Bavaria (south east germany) so that would be an added expense
Are you positive about this? This website says different http://www.german-way.com/ice-snow-tires.html
      08-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I received an ED confirmation email this week indicating that snow tires are needed..

Important information regarding pick up during winter months (October 15 until April 15)

Germany passed a ruling that requires drivers to properly equip their vehicles according to inclement weather conditions. During winter months, cars must be equipped with All Season tires (also called 'M+S tires'). It is the responsibility of the owner/driver to equip their vehicle appropriately for the prevailing conditions. The following website outlines a snow tire rental option and includes pricing and details of booking the tire rental in Germany. Please be advised that all cars must return to Munich to have the original BMW tires put back on the car before shipment to the U.S. www.edwintertires.com.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #11
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Are you positive about this? This website says different http://www.german-way.com/ice-snow-tires.html
thats what it said on edwintertires.com

http://edwintertires.com/eurolaws.htm

But that might be dated and your info looks more up to date.

Idk if i will be getting winter tires. I might drive straight outta germany to france and than go to amsterdam, so i don't need to get winter tires. Also for the 1M do they charge you for 135 tires or m3 tires?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 02:48 AM   #12
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I received an ED confirmation email this week indicating that snow tires are needed..

Important information regarding pick up during winter months (October 15 until April 15)

Germany passed a ruling that requires drivers to properly equip their vehicles according to inclement weather conditions. During winter months, cars must be equipped with All Season tires (also called 'M+S tires'). It is the responsibility of the owner/driver to equip their vehicle appropriately for the prevailing conditions. The following website outlines a snow tire rental option and includes pricing and details of booking the tire rental in Germany. Please be advised that all cars must return to Munich to have the original BMW tires put back on the car before shipment to the U.S. www.edwintertires.com.
The site above and the site I had linked to earlier actually seem pretty consistent in their description of the law: It is only required if the car is being driven in snowy or icy conditions.

I guess the question is whether October is likely to see snow or ice. A quick Wikipedia search shows October Munich temps to be 56/40 °F (average high/low). Maybe some German members can chime in here on how necessary winter tires are in early winter months?