BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-10-2017, 07:16 AM   #1
TylerD
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Manual trans rumble noises

Hi everybody,

my manual transmission (2012 N55) happens to make these scary noises when driving at certain gears and speed. Gears can be shifted without any problems though, smooth and easy like it should be.

That rumbling or scratching sound appears in higher gears (4th and above) and only starts at like 40-60kph. It is still there at higher speeds, but gets overlayed by wind/tyre sounds. It is pretty quiet normally, but I can provoke it to be quite noticable.

So I took my car on a ramp, deactivated DSC with rear wheels running free and shifted through gears until I found the speed where the noise can be heard the most (4th gear, around 55kph coming from 80kph, keeping it at 55kph while continue to record). Camera was under the car, so the noise could be heard best.

135i_manual_trans_noise.mp3

I found some threads on different forums where people seem to have the same problem, but I can only guess that. No real conclusion was found other than having it changed by BMW, because they seem to know that problem. BMW says in one of their PUMA notes that this sound is harmless and can only be heard by people with sensitive ears. I dont believe that.

Anyone with similar noises? Did a trans oil change help maybe?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 08:05 AM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Does the CV joint recall apply to your car?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
Highly recommend giving a gear oil change a shot; sometimes this will quiet down the condition you are hearing.

What I hear could possibly be a gear that wasn't pressed on 100% or one is out of round. Thanks ZF. From ones I've seen in the past this usually can only be solved by swapping the whole unit. Most of the time rebuilds wont even get this right. I'd look for a used trans if the fresh fluid doesn't calm it down.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
TylerD
Private
Rep

@mightymousetech

Never heard of that before, thank you for pointing that out. The noise comes from the output side of the trans as far as i can tell.
I would really like to believe in just a failing joint, but somehow that noise sound more like coming from the inside of the trans. Could be wrong though and hope to be wrong

Also, i read about that CV joint recall and it seems only cars with production date before 2012 are affected.

@hawkeyegoeff

Well, it is present in the last three gears and maybe even below, but since you dont reach that speed in third with low rpm, maybe its there also but too quiet.

Overall the joint problem would explain why it affects (probably) all gears while not having any physical issues.

Other suggestions/experiences for/with this maybe?
Oh and by the way, I am from Germany, so maybe this particular recall is not a thing over here.

Last edited by TylerD; 04-10-2017 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
TylerD
Private
Rep

I dont want to spam, but just checked some stuff.

Isnt the CV joint the one that goes into the differential?
The noise is definately coming from the rear end of the transmission, the other side.
Could only be the universal joint then.

Well, I guess it aint the joint then... back to the start. Will probably try the oil change now
Appreciate 0