BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #23
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i, JB 135i

I have big hands, and I got them in my 135 with no issues. Just had to remember exactly how to maneuver them in and out and it wasn't that hard. Patience is key I guess. I can see getting frustrated would make it harder.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #24
stunn2night
no tire gaps
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 135

pop the side clips, then slide the cover up, plug in bulbs, slide the covers down make sure the two tabs go in the hole then pop clips back on
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #25
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

installed mine just now.. its dead simple, so dark and flashlight on mouth that came with bmw.
anyway, the trick part is putting back the black plastic and not the clip actually. the black plastic has a 2 teeth. allign those to the hole and from there you can easily click the clip.

for me its not the "bitch clip" it was the "bitch cover"
but if you figure out both, the next time you replace the bulb it will be easy.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 05:25 PM   #26
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad78 View Post
installed mine just now.. its dead simple, so dark and flashlight on mouth that came with bmw.
anyway, the trick part is putting back the black plastic and not the clip actually. the black plastic has a 2 teeth. allign those to the hole and from there you can easily click the clip.

for me its not the "bitch clip" it was the "bitch cover"
but if you figure out both, the next time you replace the bulb it will be easy.
x2 the clips are nothing compared to trying to get the cover back on.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #27
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

The bottom of the cover has a rectangular tab on it, that goes into a slot. Make sure that the bitch clips are swung all the way to the left and right (out of the way), and tilt the top of the cover out, then pull up to take the rectangular tab out of the slot it is in.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #28
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

be careful shaking the cover, you might damage that round electrical stuff inside.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #29
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

if you have smaller hands, it might be easier than with bigger hands

just wear gloves just in case you touch the bulb, which means less life for your bulb
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #30
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

This is pure, unadulterated hell.

I removed and installed the driver one in a total of two minutes. Ha ha, I thought. Those guys on 1addicts must be mechanical morons.

Yeah, right. The reason this happened is because I didn't pull the ears out of the bottom of the driver side. When I popped the passenger side, the ears came out. I removed the whole cover since they were already out for easier access, and I have sliced my hands up pretty good trying to hit the angle to get the ears back in again and again and again on the passenger side.

I've given up. I'm going to take it by one of my friends to let him try. I just won't drive it in the rain the next couple of days and wait till its dry. FRAKKING COVER!! I feel like such a moron.

Any easy trick? I've done way bigger mechanical things than this, but can't believe how hard this is.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #31
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep

dont lose your "b**ch* clip
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 10:33 PM   #32
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92-Lighting View Post
dont lose your "b**ch* clip
LOL, that clip is the biggest pain in the ass I have ever seen...It took forever to get that POS back in place
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #33
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep

LMAO just dont lose it its hard to get back into place
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #34
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

OK, there's a remedy for the passenger side. The reason the cover is hard to put back in place is that there's no room to work.

The easy way to do it is to take a 10mm socket and remove those canisers, they're on a bracket. You can route the hoses out of their carriers and rotate the whole thing up and out of your way. This will take you about 5 minutes max.

Now, you can get to the passenger cover, and come at an angle to place the ears back in their bottom slots. This will take no time at all now that you have room to work. There is a larger metal bracket that houses two large black hoses. You can just push that back. With the canister bracket out of the way, there's plenty of room.

And that's it. Its cake this way.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #35
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
I got mine in tonight, it took me about 20 minutes or so....no issues. I didn't pull the entire cover off, I just undid the bitch clips and pushed the cover back and the clips on the bottom stayed in their slots apparently. This gave enough room to get inside, barely. I used an adjustable wrench on the back of the bulb (carefully!) to twist it in order to get it out. Once it's disengaged, the wire is thankfully long enough to pull it beyond the big black cover so you can replace the bulb. Once I got the bulb lined back up and started again I used the wrench to twist it back into place. Folded the cover back up and snapped the clips back into place. I did remove 2 bolts for the bracket holding the canisters on the passenger side for more room as suggested above and I think that gave me more room to work, although again I didn't completely need to remove the black cover.

One question: I believe that the passenger side cover is sealed up, the bitch clips are back in place as they were, but how do you KNOW that the cover is sealed? Obviously you can't see or feel below it to tell. Should I assume that since the clips went back into place that the cover is all set and sealed?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #36
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
One question: I believe that the passenger side cover is sealed up, the bitch clips are back in place as they were, but how do you KNOW that the cover is sealed? Obviously you can't see or feel below it to tell. Should I assume that since the clips went back into place that the cover is all set and sealed?
SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS!!! when i got my GP's in i was going to install them and unclipped the bitch clips and took off the covers half way and decided i didn't want to do it afterall and put everything back, ever since i've been wondering the same question!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #37
shadowiix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

This was the worst install i have ever done. started off thinking okay this should be easy. it wasnt, the driver side came right off and back on just like it was suppose to. I tried the left side but you cant even fully remove the cover, to much crap in the way. so i tried to remove the head light house altogether only to find that you cant unless you remove the front bumper? so after about 15min i get frustrated and change the bulb with the cover half off. took another 30min to try to get the cover back on. lost one screw while trying to screw the head unit back in bah. i wonder how im going to change out my xenon lights.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #38
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i, 96' Talon Tsi AWD

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowiix View Post
This was the worst install i have ever done. started off thinking okay this should be easy. it wasnt, the driver side came right off and back on just like it was suppose to. I tried the left side but you cant even fully remove the cover, to much crap in the way. so i tried to remove the head light house altogether only to find that you cant unless you remove the front bumper? so after about 15min i get frustrated and change the bulb with the cover half off. took another 30min to try to get the cover back on. lost one screw while trying to screw the head unit back in bah. i wonder how im going to change out my xenon lights.
here is your answer...makes it a ton easier!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
OK, there's a remedy for the passenger side. The reason the cover is hard to put back in place is that there's no room to work.

The easy way to do it is to take a 10mm socket and remove those canisers, they're on a bracket. You can route the hoses out of their carriers and rotate the whole thing up and out of your way. This will take you about 5 minutes max.

Now, you can get to the passenger cover, and come at an angle to place the ears back in their bottom slots. This will take no time at all now that you have room to work. There is a larger metal bracket that houses two large black hoses. You can just push that back. With the canister bracket out of the way, there's plenty of room.

And that's it. Its cake this way.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 12:50 AM   #39
shadowiix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

So i took your tip and its not the canister thats in the way it is some random pipe that goes to the radiator that prevents me from pulling the cap off easily. so i unscrewed the screws to the headlight and pushed it forward a bit to give me more space but taking off the other junk next to it help too. is it just me or do the gp thunders 8500k look a bit yellow and they are not nearly as bright as stock ones. Has anyone tried the ion yellows?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #40
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
So I just changed mine as well (GP Thunder 7500). The passenger side was not really HARD persay but more time consuming. You do not need small hands.

1. Remove the bracket with the two reservoirs.
a. Loosen top left bolt
b. Loosen lower forward bolt on bracket.
c. Remove nut for the forward reservoir, then set reservoir on plastic engine cover.
d. Remove lower rearward bolt on bracket.
e. Take out bracket.

2. This should leave plenty of room to work and take out lamp. Lamp rotates counter-clockwise for removal.

Remember the the plastic cover ROTATES in counter clockwise from left to right. This will insure both clips on the bottom slide into position. You may have to tuck wire wrap going to your Xenon ballast in a bit so it does not catch on the cover. The rest is exactly the same as the driver side! Good to go!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #41
kingnonis
**1er Lover**
Rep
Drives: my gf insane

this is horrible. I have never EVER done something that has brought me closer to a heart attack than this. The damned passenger cover keeps knocking out my bitchclip and I have given up. My hands look like they were put in a pool of barbed wire. I'd rather take it to a shop and pay...I got so frustrated I threw the cover across the parking garage (bad move).

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #42
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1351 View Post
If you break the cornering light covers, guess what you can't buy new ones as BMW doesn't list them. Don't ask me how I know, and someone prove me wrong, Please!!
Fran
Anyone know of replacement cover availability, I was told by dealer parts guy, and by Dan @ united there is no part number, have to buy a new headlight, has this changed? TIA
Fran
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #43
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

If it makes you guy feel any better, I screamed out of fustration while doing this a few weeks ago.
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #44
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

son of a bitch passenger side. i ended up just replacing the bulb with the cover still on, very carefully. could not for the life of me wiggle the cover off completely with the oil cooler parts in the way.

my H8 bulb went out and i replaced it with stock. dealer wanted $150 to do this, told them to screw themselves and just give me the bulb. still worth the effort though.

Appreciate 0