BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
malvern135i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i and X5

paint protection option worth it?

Got call today to tell me my 135 i vert is being offloaded of docks this weekend in Melbourne. And whether i was interested in some of the options pre delivery

option 1-- paint protection, tint, interior leather, etc protection--for a cheap $ 2300 or similar

and option 2--was some sort of 2 year protection club via bmw for chips, scuff marks, interior damage, dents, alloys, etc
for 600-700 bucks

Anyone know if these are worth it ? Or have purchased this packs?

getting a little excited now--been a wait since 30th jUNE!

135 i titan silver metallic vert--sat nav prof, hifi prof, comfort, rear and front sensors, adaptive lights.
In time for Summer!
Just organizing ipod playlists!

cheers for help
oSCAR
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I got paint and leather protection and it is actually sourced through another company but bmw taxed me on it. Apparently I never need to wax the car and to only use their products but so far my car looks great but I look after it and clean it thoroughly on a regular basis.

PS. I would definitely consider getting a tint during prep for your car. BMW did mine and it turned out great. I'm very happy with mine although some may suggest going aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Looking at both my previous cars - with swirl marks all over them, the "Paint Protection" is really is no better than a paint sealant, banking on no one reading the fine prints about you need a top up every year (at a cost at some places too!). It is the biggest rip off in the car industry.

To do the job properly - they are supposed to remove all protection film, wash car, clay car, correct paint work, then seal. They are not going to do all that for you I am afraid.

Better off paying a good detailer to correct all paint defects and put either a sealant or good wax on top - and have them keep up with it every 3-6 months.

There goes with leather protection as well - they aged the same way with or without protection. Tint is nice to have in Australia, and I would pay more for the dealer to do it. Extra $200 and you have a 1 shop stop - I had issues with the tinter scratching a window during the installation of the tint, and they just fixed it up. However, you definitely can get it cheaper from where your dealer is getting it done from. Fabric protection is again, a waste of $$. It takes 5 minutes to do as we have leather seats, and $20 for a bottle of 303 Aerospace. It performs better than scotch guard, which most places use.

If you are really keen on the idea - try to negotiate down - as it is negotiable - like the car. Don't let the sales play tricks in your mind about not having paint protection will ruin the paint as they did to and I gave in - there were swirl marks on delivery - they didn't clean up the swirl before they seal - beads and sheets well for about 2-3 months, and there's no more protection.

Option 2 sounds as much of it as a rip off as the traditional ones, you do need a lot of minor stuff to break even - you'll need to have 5+ events on your car to make it worth while - I would pay for the work as it goes as they are not things that will break your bank - and if a repair cost over $500 - you can claim insurance anyway.

That's my 2 cents .
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Richard135i
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: .

Those pricings are typical of BMW, if you do some research on here you will find that all areas are covered with other much cheaper options.

Paint Protection is rubbish as there are products on the market now that can do just as good if not better, waterless carwash products are the best, I am biased as I have my own waterless carwash company, Bioganic

Leather Interior is best protected by maintaining it yourself

I remember a few months ago a topic was raised on here about a company that can remove scuffs and more with a simple and cheap option.

The best thing to do IMHO is to tell BMW, thank you but no thank to all products.

I'm in Toorak and my car is due within the next 2 weeks as it is on the same ship as yours malvern135i...maybe we should meet up for a coffee and work out how we can shop around a few products for our new babies.

R
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Sparoz is correct.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
malvern135i
Private
Australia
Rep

just cancelled the paint protection package

not sure whether to get pre pickup tint or not via bmw though? (135i vert)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
malvern135i
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard135i View Post
Those pricings are typical of BMW, if you do some research on here you will find that all areas are covered with other much cheaper options.

Paint Protection is rubbish as there are products on the market now that can do just as good if not better, waterless carwash products are the best, I am biased as I have my own waterless carwash company, Bioganic

Leather Interior is best protected by maintaining it yourself

I remember a few months ago a topic was raised on here about a company that can remove scuffs and more with a simple and cheap option.

The best thing to do IMHO is to tell BMW, thank you but no thank to all products.

I'm in Toorak and my car is due within the next 2 weeks as it is on the same ship as yours malvern135i...maybe we should meet up for a coffee and work out how we can shop around a few products for our new babies.

R

Thanks for advice Richard.
Definetely a good idea--coffee and discuss one day soon
not long though for pickup
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 02:15 AM   #8
malvern135i
Private
Australia
Rep

do u guys recommend tint for 135i vert?
if so--pre delivery? via bmw (what sort of cost expected?)

cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 03:01 AM   #9
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: A45

I paid $330 for my tint (dealer) but the dealer just gets a nearby tint shop to do it. Which is fine if you buy from your local dealer. If not and there are air bubbles etc you may need to drive a long way to get things fixed (that's what happened to me).
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
Richard135i
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: .

For those of you who do not like paint protection, as it cost too much and does not offer any real benefits, in other words sick of the horrible buff marks. There is a cheap and very positive option out there, my business provides organic waterfree carwash products, check the bioganic site in australia for more details and all from $1 per wash, I offer this option up to help fellow 1ers not just trying to flog my business.

A brief run down on how it works, spray the panels/windows/alloys/interior with the product, as the product is sprayed on in a very fine mist the bubbles collect the dirt off the duco and encapsulate them within the bubbles and with a chamois you simply wipe away leaving a clean polished look and never having to worry about buff marks or scratches again, as this product is organis, biodegradable there is not harmful issues using this product.

IM me for more information as I am always happy to help out fellow 1ers look after their cars.
Appreciate 0