Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel and Tire Insurance

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-10-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
Libartsguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 1997 Audi A4

Wheel and Tire Insurance

As I'm sure has been discussed in a number of threads, many/most/all BMW dealers offer wheel and tire insurance policies. One dealer I had interactions with was pushing a 5-year policy requiring an "upfront" (versus year-by-year) payment of approx. $500.00 U.S.

Does anyone know of major auto insurance companies that are offering such policies? Would certainly make sense to get such a policy from a large, known company versus a company that might be "here today and gone tomorrow." One would also hope the policies would be cheaper, with annual/semi-annual premiums. I contacted my current carrier, State Farm, but the agent indicated that they didn't offer such a policy.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

I cancelled mine (they usually have a 30 day cancellation period). Mine was costing $599/3Years. The dealer charges approx $350 for one runflat (not including installation). Tire-Rack price is $203.

Incidentially I got a tire warning last week and found a screwdriver head in middle of tire thread, was able to repair the tire.
The dealer will not do repairs they will replace the tire (for liability reasons, you should always tell them that you drove it flat to ensure you get a new tire anyhow). I called the dealer and he didn't even have a tire in stock (which was strange/stupid as it was the stock 330i EL42 runflat), said it would take a couple of days to get one. So you have to consider what you do in this case. BMW Tire warranty does not cover loss of use.

You might want to theck out www.theautoclub.com they have a road hazard insurance coverage that is very cheap $2.50/mo. I don't know how good/reliable they are though.

I looked around but couldn't find any good (cheaper) company with similar coverage to BMW warranty.

Note, I plan on buying my next set of runflats from Costco (if they have them) . Costco price includes road hazard warranty and they will prorate the replacement cost depending on the Tire wear. Tire Rack also sells Hazard coverage when you buy a set of tires. coverage is similar to Costco but price is about $100+ (for runflats).
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Ms_Kady
loves to boogie!
Rep
Drives: E46Ci & E90i

I purchased the wheel and tire insurance with my car as was suggested to me. I paid less than half of the regular purchase price for it, though, so it was worth it for me to get it. If I hadn't been offered such a great deal on it, I probably would not have. My Customer Advisor happens to be my roommate and I owe a lot of thanks to him for that. He told me that any aftermarket wheels I get will also be covered by it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

I would check the fine print. From what I understand, it only covers the original set of tires and only covers the stock rims and then only if the original set of tires are on them.

I could be wrong. Can someone check that out for the benefit of all here?
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD
I would check the fine print. From what I understand, it only covers the original set of tires and only covers the stock rims and then only if the original set of tires are on them.

I could be wrong. Can someone check that out for the benefit of all here?
That is correct, at lease for the InTire Insurance that I purchased from my dealer. The good news is that you can cancel it within 60 days for a 95% refund, which is exactly what I did.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 07:43 PM   #6
asergek
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

The tire and wheel insurance from the dealer is good for 4 years/50,000 miles. If the original tires are damaged and replaced, the replacement tires are covered until the end of the warranty. So, it doesn't matter if it's the originals or not, just as long as you're inside the term of the warranty.