BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #23
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
The only people who would buy a car with that much markup have too much money and too little brains. No badge is worth $25k markup.
It seems like the people that have this opinion always either don't own the 1M or couldn't have afforded a markup lol. No badge is worth a $25k Markup? well i guess you'll never be buying an exotic or even upper end porsche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
What if you make 25k in 2 days? or a week? Everything is relative
Exactly. The guy i know who bought a 1M for $10k markup paid cash. It was still cheaper than the M3 and new M5. Oh and he's owns a company that revenues over $30 Mil, so i think he has enough brains
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #24
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hasan546 View Post
Oh and if you work for bmw, you know how much you guys sell GAP for. Ive been quoted around $1700. You know how much the credit unions charge? $100-$180. Insurance Companies? $5-$8/month depending on the company. So your recommendation about "dealer installed" Gap insurance sucks.
Lol...take it easy bro! I recommended GAP, not financing thru any specific lender. The latter example was only to illustrate that banks will finance much more than the sole value of a car if the credit conditions are favorable.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #25
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hasan546 View Post
It seems like the people that have this opinion always either don't own the 1M or couldn't have afforded a markup lol. No badge is worth a $25k Markup? well i guess you'll never be buying an exotic or even upper end porsche.
With all due respect youre completely missing the point. Paying a 50% markup on any car is stupid and ridiculous. Thats the point, were not talking about buying a porsche or anything. Were talking about 75K on a used car with an MSRP of 50K.

And the old "youre mad because you cant afford it" argument is also crap. You know who bought a car with the same MSRP as yours?

I did.

You know who also wouldnt spend a 50% original MSRP markup on a used car?

Me

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #26
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
With all due respect youre completely missing the point. Paying a 50% markup on any car is stupid and ridiculous. Thats the point, were not talking about buying a porsche or anything. Were talking about 75K on a used car with an MSRP of 50K.

And the old "youre mad because you cant afford it" argument is also crap. You know who bought a car with the same MSRP as yours?

I did.

Me
MSRP only means something if there are more out there at MSRP.

If you or someone else cant find one at MSRP you are forced to pay more if you want one. At that point it becomes a matter of personal finance. If you had 20 million dollars in your savings account then 25k more for something you really want isnt an issue. 25k is one hand of blackjack for some people, its a supercharger for other people and for others its the nicest car theyll ever own.

Where I board people pay 10k annually to park in front (sounds stupid and ridiculous doesnt it?), others pay $20 daily to park just near them and the majority park for free just yards beyond that. Its all personal finances.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #27
Beemw1M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 335 MPPK

There sure seems to be a few immature boys in this forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #28
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If you or someone else cant find one at MSRP you are forced to pay more if you want one. At that point it becomes a matter of personal finance. If you had 20 million dollars in your savings account then 25k more for something you really want isnt an issue. 25k is one hand of blackjack for some people, its a supercharger for other people and for others its the nicest car theyll ever own.

Where I board people pay 10k annually to park in front (sounds stupid and ridiculous doesnt it?), others pay $20 daily to park just near them and the majority park for free just yards beyond that. Its all personal finances.

So having lots of money excuses you from being an idiot?

Personally, if I was going to spend 75K on a car, it damned well wouldnt be a 1 series, doesnt matter which model. I could hardly justify the 50K MSRP on my car

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #29
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Flying in a private Jet to say Dominican Republic and back for a vacation costs roughly $30k. Quite a few professional athletes hailing from that country do it routinely.

So, paying ~$26k more than a 1st class flight for a savings of maybe 3-4 hrs of airport bs and obviously a MUCH nicer experience cost more than the mark up of said vehicle.

It's all relative folks...and remember while they can bury you with your money it won't do ya much good wherever you end up
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #30
1MSPEEDY
Can't wait for spring!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M, 135 M-Sport

Garage List
I thought that this string was about market value and its relationship with available supply and a buyer’s emotions and needs. MSRP is never market value when the supply is constrained. It is not uncommon for people to sell the paper on a car that they ordered for a profit when the buyer is not willing to wait 6 to 8 months for delivery.

A crappy house in Toronto just sold for $570,000 when the asking price was $200,000 less. That is more than a 50% premium. 31 offers were registered on the property.

I realize that this is not an automotive example but the creation of Market Value is not an automotive phenomenon.

Just my $0.02
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #31
Sy546
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I did.
Me
I think your completely missing the point. paying a huge markup is standard when the car is impossible to buy/find. Look at Supras, skylines, nsx's, e30 m3s; etc. These are 10-20 year old cars that sell for damn near 70%+ of their original MSRP. and there is a HUGE following for them. Ever look into certain watches? People that want extra toys don't care about the cost. Why do people pay more for Harry Winston? Why do people pay markups on watches?

and i paid msrp. but i would have paid a markup b.c all the cars i compared it to (Cayman R & Evora S) were $75k-$90k. You paid msrp. Good for you. Not everyone did tho.

Quote:

Personally, if I was going to spend 75K on a car, it damned well wouldnt be a 1 series, doesnt matter which model. I could hardly justify the 50K MSRP on my car
Time = $$$ (to some). So how many hours did you spend looking for your 1M? If you put a deposit down early good for you. A lot of people came in to the game late. I know people on this forum that spent hours calling dealers; etc trying to find a car at msrp. For some people it would be stupid to even spend a day doing that b.c there is an opportunity cost associated. My friend wouldnt/couldnt spend a day on a forum and calling 200 dealers b.c he could have made that $10,000 markup in a day. So please tell me how this guys is an idiot?

Everyone has a different mindset when it comes to cars. If you could "hardly justify" the $50k msrp on the 1M well i find that pretty sad. But than again i couldn't spend $50k on a car and not get navigation. To me if the 1M was $80k i still woulda bought it. Still better than the cayman r and Evora S for my needs. But hey we think of money in different ways. I don't care about spending an extra $xxxx amount on a car id enjoy more regardless of what msrp is.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #32
Beemw1M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 335 MPPK

I've been working at Facebook since 2006. I paid MSRP. A year from now I would pay $100k if I really wanted it..
Get it??
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #33
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:

1. Its not idiotic. When you were younger you didnt splurge on certain things because you couldnt justify the cost right? As you got older you buy those things regularly without a second thought. Think $2 burger versus $12 burger, or matinee movie versus evening movie, parking far and walking versus paying for parking or valet in the structure... get it? Did you turn into an idiot or did your expendable income increase? Someone somewhere is saying I would never pay $12 for a hamburger.

2. Some of these guys paying 70-80k have other vehicles. They are buying this because this is what they want. They dont need the money for something else its just sitting in an account and most likely they can still buy the other cars they want in addition to the 1M.

If you had 20 million in an account 10-20k here or there is meaningless you wouldnt miss it. The interest you earn on that account exceeds 10-20k in one month. Its not about stupidity its about convenience and having what you want.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #34
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

When you're rich, you don't write checks (or finance cars)... STRAIGHT CASH HOMIE

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #35
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw1M View Post
I've been working at Facebook since 2006. I paid MSRP. A year from now I would pay $100k if I really wanted it..
Get it??
You are about to become much wealthier. Have fun with your sudden budget increase

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #36
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert
Quote:

You're failing to understand the principle of personal preference. I paid MSRP for mine, but to me, the car is worth a premium had they all been sold and if I were still looking for one - this is the sentiment that many of us share when it comes to the 1M, and it does not make anyone an idiot.

I'll give you an example: I think it is very idiotic to purchase a 135i with a rag top, but that's just my opinion and because I understand it's your personal preference, I'm not entitled to call you an idiot for purchasing one
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #37
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:

I did.
Funny, I thought your dad did....

Here's your quote from years ago...

"The 1er was my highschool graduation gift. I wanted a 128 originally but my dad wait, the 135 has a lot of standard features that are optional on the 128 right? So then why not get the faster one. I never thought that we could be more alike than at that moment."

Quote:
You know who also wouldnt spend a 50% original MSRP markup on a used car?*

Me
Again, I assume you meant your Dad wouldn't pay a 50% markup correct?

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #38
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post

Oh Snap,

Seriously, more talking about the 1M pls, less about i, you etc ... THX
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #39
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Oh Snap,

Seriously, more talking about the 1M pls, less about i, you etc ... THX
Sorry, I just can't help it.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #40
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post

"The 1er was my highschool graduation gift. I wanted a 128 originally but my dad wait, the 135 has a lot of standard features that are optional on the 128 right? So then why not get the faster one. I never thought that we could be more alike than at that moment."

Again, I assume you meant your Dad wouldn't pay a 50% markup correct?
That was a seriously unnecessary shot, first of all.

Secondly, I worded that comment poorly and if you look at the other, I think, 5 or so times ive comment on my situation youll notice that the gift involved was the permission to get it in the first place.

I saved up the down payment for my car by working my ass off and saving cash from the time I was 13. I made the DP, I make the monthlies. But I have enough respect for my family to not make such a large purchase without first asking.
I wasnt taken seriously by several dealers because of my age, and they didnt get my money. This was another reason why my father was in tow at the dealer, he didnt want me to be taken advantage of. I was going to get a 128 because thats we agreed upon would be appropriate for me, but my dad decided to let me have fun with my money and allowed me to reward myself.

So if you want to take my comment about how fantastic my dad is and how much I love him then keep going with this.

If not then you can stop being my personal muckraker and stop turning every comment I make in a thread into something negative and off topic.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #41
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
You're failing to understand the principle of personal preference. I paid MSRP for mine, but to me, the car is worth a premium had they all been sold and if I were still looking for one - this is the sentiment that many of us share when it comes to the 1M, and it does not make anyone an idiot.

I'll give you an example: I think it is very idiotic to purchase a 135i with a rag top, but that's just my opinion and because I understand it's your personal preference, I'm not entitled to call you an idiot for purchasing one
And youre failing to understand the principle of percentages. Ive never argued that 75K is too much to spend on a car. But when that cost is more than 50% of what the car originally went for new, used, then you have to reevaluate something.

Ill give you an example of an irrelevant topic to the conversation. Ready for it? I drive a convertible, and you look down on me for that. What does that have to do with percentages?

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #42
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
And youre failing to understand the principle of percentages. Ive never argued that 75K is too much to spend on a car. But when that cost is more than 50% of what the car originally went for new, used, then you have to reevaluate something.
You do realize MANY cars from the past sell for many times their original cost right?

Price out a 1966 Shelby Cobra Super Snake... i know that car did not sell for 5.5 million back in the 60s, but someone now has paid a massive mark up. I get that its not totally accurate for this debate but the mark up is also astronomical not 10k. Someone wanted it and someone had the cash for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #43
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If not then you can stop being my personal muckraker and stop turning every comment I make in a thread into something negative and off topic.
It's not off topic at all. You come on here with your vast knowledge accumulated over 22 years calling other people idiots for spending x amount of money on a car. I'm just calling you out since you really have no clue about the value of a dollar. You say now that you make all the monthlies when there are other posts where you make "most" of the payments. I sense that the story has changed over the years as you got more and more ridiculed. Just how I see it.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #44
Sy546
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Ill give you an example of an irrelevant topic to the conversation. Ready for it? I drive a convertible, and you look down on me for that. What does that have to do with percentages?
Listen what a car is worth depends on supply and demand not original MSRP; etc. screw percentages. Like i said go look at a NSX right now. You'll pay over 50% of it's original msrp for a good condition low mile. Same for the e30 m3, same for the Supra, same for the 02-03 mustang cobra, same for the s2000 CR.

You sound young (shit well i am too but im a geezer at heart), im not trying to be offensive like tkbrown (even if it was kinda funny ). Im assuming you don't make tremendous amounts of money. Im 22. I make a substantial income. I would have paid cash for my 1M if i didn't have investments that beat the 1.54% interest rates nowadays. I was going to buy one for markup for the convenience but i had some time off from my business so i made some calls and got lucky. If it was a normal busy season for me like this Nov.-Dec. if i had wasted 1 day on trying to find a 1M i would lost sales worth $10k. Some people are that busy. Time = $$$.
My father is a serial entrepreneur. When i told him i made 200 calls to find my 1M he called me an idiot. He said spend your time making money. Spend your money to save you time. For him he's right. He'd rather pay more and not have to deal with other issues. Shit i regret not buying my 1M from my local dealer at $5k markup. The bullshit ive had to deal with the dealer i bought it from cost me more than time and grievance than the $5k i saved. Once you start making $$$$$ you'll see your more willing to pay more regardless of value.
Appreciate 0