BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Performance Center Delivery

I reviewed the 'New car coming got a couple questions on cleaning' thread but did not find info on my specific situation:

I'm scheduled for Performance Center Delivery of my 135is at the end of August. My CA told me that the prep and cleaning that happens at the vehicle distribution center and then at the Performance Center involves removal of shipping materials, installation of 135is-specific parts, some checks and testing, but NOT a typical detailing (cleaning and waxing) that normally happens after the car arrives at the dealer.

Based on this information, I plan to drive the car from Spartanburg to my home in Ohio, then bypass the dealer, and have it cleaned, clayed, polished, followed by sealant by a trusted pro (and likely wax). After 600+ miles of summertime road tripping, it will be dirty!

Does anybody have contrary information about the Performance Center delivery prep process that would give me reason to change my plan?

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
Tanz_S65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT

I was really disappointed in the low quality prep that the Performance Center did on my M3. There were several fine scratches in the clear coat that I didn't notice until after I drove away and BMW basically gave me the run around.

You plan is good to leave it to a professional detailed to get sealed and protected. Just hope for a good sunny day and inspect the paint as best you can. I'll be honest though I was so excited with picking up the car and driving the track that I forgot to inspect as thoroughly as I planned. Enjoy the day though its a freakin blast!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Sounds like a good plan. Bring some tracwrap to protect the front of the car during the journey home, you can install it at the PCD.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

UPDATE:

My car was fairly clean when we took delivery from the Performance Center. No real scratches or marring of the finish, just not very clean. The interior wasn't prepped very well either. Seemed to be a real quickie of a pre-delivery detail job. Once home in Ohio, I had the car cleaned, clayed, and sealed. There was definitely debris on the paint that was removed by claying. The glass still needs polishing to remove mineral stains or whatever is causing the streaking pattern on the windshield when wet.

The PCD experience was a blast from airport pickup to driving home, and everything in between. My wife loved the trip, and she's ready to buy an X3 after spending time in one at the Performance Center. We plan to go back in the Spring for a car control school or M School. We highly recommend the PCD option!

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0